PDA

View Full Version : Sport mode

JoeB
08-29-2013, 01:11 PM
After almost two weeks with my Abarth Cabrio, the most surprising impression I've developed about our little pocket rocket is the Sport button. I assumed this would be a gimmick which I left on all the time, but that's not the case at all. With the button off, the car has a softer less-torque throttle response which I find more pleasant - less "jumpy" - for just cruising around town. Then when I feel like gettin' after it, Sport mode transforms the drive into a point-and-shoot riot. It's like two different cars, and I use both for different rides. It's a cool feature. I'm curious to hear what others think of it.

BigDaddySRT
08-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Every single time I drive my ABARTH... I push the SPORT Button, and I turn the ESC System Full OFF

I hate driving the ABARTH any other way.

Robert Nixon
08-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Sport always on.

Someone on the forum has a mod that leaves it that way if pushing the button is too hard!

I refer to the Sport button as the "Avoid Death" button, working a label to put on my car now.

lammie200
08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Not that you Abarths care, but Sport button on, ESC off, Go-Pedal set to max, and Auto-Stick functioning about 95% of the time. MPG's good enough for me.

JoeB
08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
HA! I'm 51-years-old, and apparently I drive my Abarth like an old man. I'm ok with this ;)

Haring
08-29-2013, 02:22 PM
When I had my sport I never used it. Now i find myself using it all the time. Love it!

duster497
08-29-2013, 02:35 PM
I've had my Abarth 4 1/2 weeks now use the sport button about 99% of the time. I've discovered I like it for rush hour stop and go, makes like a little easier with the sport button off. And I like knowing I can turn it on and GO if needed.

JoeB
08-29-2013, 08:50 PM
So after posting that and seeing the responses, I went for a 90 minute drive and kept Sport on most of the time. Umm...I think I see what y'all are getting at ;)

Tweak
08-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Not that you Abarths care, but Sport button on, ESC off, Go-Pedal set to max, and Auto-Stick functioning about 95% of the time. MPG's good enough for me.

Sport on, goPedal on Sport + and the other adjustment cranked to max, TMC unit at highest level, ESC fully off all results in pure insanity that you hope never ends. MPG's drop around 4-5MPG or so when doing so but so worth it for the fun factor that gets added. :D

abarth&911
08-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Sport always On when engine is up to temperature. The only time I turn it off if is coming home on our street.
Our street as a slight downhill slope not enough to really pickup speed but enough that you just need a little breath on the gas pedal to maintain a slow speed in 3rd gear. With Sport On its difficult to keep it smooth as it want to give too much gas when you breath on the gas pedal. Normal mode in that case is better.

nojeebs
08-30-2013, 10:25 AM
sport off most of the time for me cause I just cruise um.

Ryephile
08-30-2013, 10:56 AM
I use both modes, depending if I want chill or lively.

hownowcb
08-30-2013, 12:45 PM
For routine driving I leave the Sport button off -- it yields significantly better fuel economy. I like holding Sport in reserve, for use when I'm more serious, or driving strictly for the pleasure it provides. At 63, it's frankly too tiring to be serious all the time! I've also found that the steering feels overly tight and twitchy to me for long distance freeway driving in Sport mode. Maybe I miss the "forgiveness" of hydraulic power steering, but otherwise thoroughly enjoy the effects of engaging the Sport button when the mood or specific situation is right for me. Off: 75% On: 25%

melanzane
08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
What are your experiences with ESC off? I know what it is and what it does, but am not see big difference with it off ...

lammie200
08-30-2013, 01:30 PM
What are your experiences with ESC off? I know what it is and what it does, but am not see big difference with it off ...

TBH, I can't tell the difference but I figure that it can't hurt to turn it off in case it kicks in. I would say that it is unlikely that it would however. I am mostly on dry pavement and never lose traction.

Fiat500USA
08-30-2013, 02:11 PM
I use both modes, too. I like pressing the Sport when I need the extra HP or throttle response. Because I don't use it all the time, it is a nice suprise to have that little bit extra - keeps the car from getting boring. I also have a MM box sitting here that I need to throw on one of these days.

Fiat500USA
08-30-2013, 02:15 PM

One thing about ESC off is you can do nice burnouts! I smoked the tires really hard at the Abarth Cabrio launch in front of all the Fiat guys and got them cheering! Very cool to do in someone else's car...gr_grin

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-h-3So7QijJk/T3Rv4P50ocI/AAAAAAAALY0/SY3jtWWoBcA/s800/Fullscreen%2520capture%25203292012%2520101815%2520 AM.jpg

stratofortress
08-30-2013, 02:18 PM
I only use sport when I need to warp speed to plaid. I too was surprised when I enabled it the first time...was just expecting heavier steering and crisp throttle response.

It's a little too touchy in heavy city or stop and go driving, so I tend to keep it off for 90% of the time (I know, blasphemy, torch and pitchforks, launch ICBMs at my house). Tends to keep the times I do flip it on more special/terrifying.

enginethatcould
08-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Can't have sweet without the sour.
I drive in sport mode only a few times a week so I can enjoy it more.

Seafarer61
08-30-2013, 07:21 PM
^

I have the Go Pedal. When using both Sport mode and the GP at it's most maximum setting, it launches like a sawed off shotgun. I have a smile that mimics those who are riding Vespas at break neck speed through island towns but don't want that full on all the time because then it becomes the new normal and the weeeee! factor is lost.

lammie200
08-30-2013, 07:43 PM
...I have a smile that mimics those who are riding Vespas at break neck speed...

Lambretta only!:smug:

b56.1m6
08-31-2013, 10:16 AM
My car is still stock but I use normal mode for warm up only, soon as the temp gage reads operating temp I hit sport.

nsorens
08-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I too really enjoy the two distinct personalities of the Abarth with the Sport mode option.
When commuting during the week I can touch 37mpg and still enjoy the cars responsiveness.
But then with sport engaged it comes alive and I feel like it's a new car again... Agree that in the city it's much easier to be smooth with the button off.

deathshead
08-31-2013, 11:26 AM
I cant stand the car without the sport mode on.
zero throttle response, its like someone played a joke and tied the car to a telephone pole..

My ideal situation would be to have sport mode on in the regular mode spot,
then a real tune on sport.

Chico Valdez
09-01-2013, 11:56 PM
While test-driving an Abarth, my GF says to me, 'Hey, what's this little button that says 'sport'?'
"Oh, I fordgot abot that!, Thanks!"
At the next light I told her 'Push it.'
She does, when the light goes green and we do a u-turn, I row heavily through the gears. Wheel-spin gear-change, a little torque-steer...
Much mirth. Much laughter. I realize it's coming from me!
Li'l bugger is more fun than a porcupine in a balloon factory!
'Sport' rocks!
Stupid li'l car is fun in regular mode as well. It's really no slouch, and I say that as a Fox-Body 5.0 Mustang owner.
Small cars need too many horsepowers!:stupid:

RustyPaint
09-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Sport off for the 7 mile trip to the interstate, sport on to get on the 75+ mph interstate traffic. Then turn it back off if traffic gets bad in town on the way to work. About the same on the way back home since town traffic is twice as bad on the way back. Turning off sport when I hit the long 45 mph stretch back home. If I'm feeling frugal some days, it stays in non-sport mode.