PDA

View Full Version : Silly

Luv2byte
08-29-2013, 02:46 AM
We buy a new car every 2-4yrs so it's not like this is a new experience for us but I'm crazy excited to pick up our car tomorrow. Was to be today but both service & our salesperson called yesterday (and emailed) that they had a delay, took longer to put the 3m film on the car so it wouldn't be ready until later in the day today. Since it's a 2.5hr drive we opted to go tomorrow morning.

I'm lucky that my hubby totally indulges me - first stop after we pick it up is Auto Zone so I can get new detail supplies & license plate frames (I hate dealer frames, I didn't get a discount on the car to be a free advertisement for them).

It's crazy how excited I am..then again I have been reading on this car for past 18mo. I even knew which model I was sure I wanted, if I liked the car in person as much as in print...I was right, trekking.

The Easy loner has been fun but I want MY car.

Ellie

Andree
08-29-2013, 03:38 AM
I was kind of bummed about the license plate frames for the regular 500, because most are too big (too tall vertically) to fit within the little space on my regular 500. Especially when I saw some of the cool frames available. Let us know which you get!

Robert Nixon
08-29-2013, 09:12 AM
congrats on the new Fiat! I agree, it is very exciting to get a new car! I was fine with my previous Mustang of 8 years, but when I saw the Fiats coming back to the US, and then the Abarth, the car buying bug bit me bad!

OK, maybe it wasn't a bug bite, more like a scorpion sting!

Fazzster
08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Congrats! After personally missing out on buying an Abarth (due to no trailer hitch available at the time) my wife purchased a Bianco Trekking. We picked it up yesterday and she loves it (as do I). She never quite understood my passion for cars in our 11 years of marriage until now. I never seen her so excited about a car! Looks like she has 2 Italian husbands now....or is the 500L a she? Hmmm

FTY
08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Congrats on the new car...they are a blast to drive. I tried to push my wife towards a 500 for her commuter car but there was no HOV exemption sticker for it, so she went with a Prius. I despise that car.

Curious
08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey I can relate. I traded my 500C in on my 500L after just 2 years. Adults just have a heck of a time getting into and out of the back seats. With the front seat all the way forward and tilted forward it was just a tiny space for anyone to get thru, especially if they have wide hips. And the engine on the 500C is a lawn mower engine. Yes I know my 500L has the exact same engine but it's turbo charged. That makes a world of difference. My 500L has so much power to spare. It's a night and day difference.

However the 500L is slow on the go for first and second gears from a light that just turns green. Once you hit third gear is when the turbo speed shows up.

It's a shame the 500C can not be tuned or tweaked by Fiat to have just a little more giddy up. I say this because it is otherwise a great car if you just had little kids to sit in the back while you enjoy fantastic gas mileage. I used to get 34 to 36 mpg in the city and once got 47 on the highway.

Am certain you will enjoy your new ride.

Mario500L
08-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Agreed Curious, we are enjoying every day with our 500L. About be "slow" on 1 , 2 gear, I am having a little more "power" when I switched from 87 to 93 gas (Costco has good price on the 93 (too bad VA law , everything is with 10% ethanol). And with 93 sounds a bit more fun to drive.

Curious
08-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. These days with the price of gas being sooooo sky high I always go with regular unleaded. Easier on the back pocket and I am not usually wanting to floor it to get started for a green light. May have to try your suggestion some time.

Fazzster
08-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. These days with the price of gas being sooooo sky high I always go with regular unleaded. Easier on the back pocket and I am not usually wanting to floor it to get started for a green light. May have to try your suggestion some time.

My experience has been buying the cheaper gas achieves poorer fuel economy so you really are not saving any money. 93 is the way to go for more efficient combustion especially on a turbo charged engine where engine temps are hot and carbon build up around the intake is common.

msjulie33
08-30-2013, 10:11 AM
And the engine on the 500C is a lawn mower engine.

Oh my little Dot is insulted... she gets along ok when I need her too and way quieter then any other lawn mower around here

It's a shame the 500C can not be tuned or tweaked by Fiat to have just a little more giddy up. I say this because it is otherwise a great car if you just had little kids to sit in the back while you enjoy fantastic gas mileage. I used to get 34 to 36 mpg in the city and once got 47 on the highway.

I agree, but I think that's the Abarth C for you.. anyway wrong forum for talking up the Pop :)

Indie500L
08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Are you sure you are not taking off in second gear or something -- seems like my 500L is darn quick even in second gear but they may be limiting first gear power to protect the drive train from excessive torque. I pulled out of the dealer after a door lock flash visit after a month of driving and put my foot into it a little and it shifted out of first gear into second and things came flying off the dash tray between the glove boxes. Maybe you should try power braking it - hold the brake on and give it gas just before you take off to spool up the turbo!

Curious
08-30-2013, 06:32 PM
My experience has been buying the cheaper gas achieves poorer fuel economy so you really are not saving any money. 93 is the way to go for more efficient combustion especially on a turbo charged engine where engine temps are hot and carbon build up around the intake is common.

Thanks for the suggestion and good advise. I'll try the 93 next time I fill up.

Curious
08-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Oh my little Dot is insulted... she gets along ok when I need her too and way quieter then any other lawn mower around here

I agree, but I think that's the Abarth C for you.. anyway wrong forum for talking up the Pop :)

Just for the record my 500C was not an Abarth, normal engine. You are right, wrong forum for this. Tell Ms Dot I send my apologies.