PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500e Safety Recall N51 / NHTSA 13V-358

FiatCares
08-27-2013, 01:51 PM
FiatCares appreciates your patience regarding the N51 recall on your 500E and apologizes for any inconveniences this has caused. There is good news in that the repair procedure for the recall will be released and available to your respective studios this week. Please contact them for details/timing regarding the repair of your vehicle. Those owners whose vehicles are included in this recall will be receiving a formal notice by mail in the next few weeks. If your vehicle has already been repaired and returned to you, you may disregard the mailing.

Thank you again for your patience,

FiatCares

Fiat500USA
08-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fiat500USA/~3/YDByidEyB00/fiat-500e-safety-recall-n51-nhtsa-13v.html)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--4PkbgRQa0k/UXVhjlFxMrI/AAAAAAAAQ88/IE9RPIHWtWI/s640/Fiat-500e-specs%2520%25286%2529.jpg

Mr. Man
08-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Well, they figured that out pretty quickly didn't they

Fiat500USA
08-29-2013, 09:28 AM
It is interesting to see the timeline on this and how fast it was caught. Obviously there are some owners that weren't communicated with effectively, but if you look at the timeline it is a matter of weeks that they figured it out and put in plans to handle this.

GasLess
08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
There has been little communication between the "studio" and me, except for when I initiate it. They were supposed to call me back yesterday with an idea of when my 500e would be repaired and returned. At that time they weren't aware that a fix was being distributed. Today I called and they still cannot give a date because they "are waiting for parts". I suggested that if they were just bolts and washers, they might be able to be overnighted. "Not so easy with Fiat", I was told. "Lucky if they come next week." Meanwhile the car has not been inspected, so it is unknown if the half shafts will need replacing. There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency from the dealer at all. If you owned one of these, you would not consider this recall process "swift" enough.

I'm interested in others experiences with their dealers.

GasLess
08-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Expedited repairs would be most welcome! How long will it take to get the parts to the dealers? Will the dealers be encouraged to put these repairs at the top of their lists? My dealer cannot give a timeline based on their previous experiences with dealing with Fiat parts.

Thanks for your help.

Fiat500USA
08-29-2013, 05:29 PM
There has been little communication between the "studio" and me, except for when I initiate it. They were supposed to call me back yesterday with an idea of when my 500e would be repaired and returned. At that time they weren't aware that a fix was being distributed. Today I called and they still cannot give a date because they "are waiting for parts". I suggested that if they were just bolts and washers, they might be able to be overnighted. "Not so easy with Fiat", I was told. "Lucky if they come next week." Meanwhile the car has not been inspected, so it is unknown if the half shafts will need replacing. There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency from the dealer at all. If you owned one of these, you would not consider this recall process "swift" enough.

That is unfortunate. Like I've said before, some dealers are lame. I would contact the dealer principal (because he needs to know there doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency), the ciaofiat hotline and/ or our friend FiatCares here on this site. Your dealer needs to get active in getting this taken care of and maybe should assign someone to handle the recalls, providing info to owners, etc. This way there is a central person who can field all the questions.

Fiat500USA
08-30-2013, 01:37 AM
I merged the two threads to keep things a little centralized.

Franke760
08-30-2013, 11:39 AM

I got the same runaround yesterday! My car was at Bob Baker Fiat (San Diego County) I was SO frustrated that I called another local dealer (Kearny Mesa) as I knew they were already repairing cars and sending them home. I asked if I could somehow get parts transferred to my dealer. They said no. So I asked if I had my car towed to their facility if they would fix it and they said yes. So I called Fiat Customer Cares and talked to the lame case managers (sorry, but their customer service has something to be desired). I demanded they get my car towed to Kearny Mesa and get it repaired. I was sick and tired of waiting with NO COMMUNICATION! Anyhow, after going round and round, my dealership sent a driver to Kearny Mesa to pick up parts. My car was repaired and I picked it up last night! AND the my service manager was happy, because they also transferred 3 additional repair kits to repair other vehicles. Good luck!

FiatCares
08-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Expedited repairs would be most welcome! How long will it take to get the parts to the dealers? Will the dealers be encouraged to put these repairs at the top of their lists? My dealer cannot give a timeline based on their previous experiences with dealing with Fiat parts.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Gasless.. just sent you a PM..

Would you mind providing me the information requested in that PM message so that I may resolve this for you?

Thank you!

Fiat500USA
08-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Maybe the Fiat field rep out in CA can call each dealer and find out what they are doing to expedite this. Clearly some dealers are taking the initiative to take care of their customers and others. I think it is up to the Chrysler/Fiat to contact these dealer principals and make them step up and find out why these cars are sitting in their lots and what's being done about it.

FiatCares
08-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Maybe the Fiat field rep out in CA can call each dealer and find out what they are doing to expedite this. Clearly some dealers are taking the initiative to take care of their customers and others. I think it is up to the Chrysler/Fiat to contact these dealer principals and make them step up and find out why these cars are sitting in their lots and what's being done about.

This is happening... I have reached out to 'Gasless' to assist; Im just awaiting his reply. Thanks for the heads up

GasLess
08-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Hi Gasless.. just sent you a PM..

Would you mind providing me the information requested in that PM message so that I may resolve this for you?

Thank you!

Just sent it. Thanks for the help in advance. For all others info - Concord Fiat = lame. Wouldn't honor the lease deal either.

Franke760
08-31-2013, 01:11 AM
I haven't heard of one who honored the lease deal exactly. They want a little more down and/or the payment is slightly higher.

Fiat500USA
08-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Some do. Someone said Kearny Mesa does.

Raindrops
08-31-2013, 09:35 AM
I haven't heard of one who honored the lease deal exactly. They want a little more down and/or the payment is slightly higher.

Fiat500usa is correct... There are at least a few dealers that honored lease price and probably will continue once the e's go back on sale...

It's $199 plus tax, so depending on your tax rate, your payment will vary slightly..

And I'm not sure how many people got the base model, looks like most went with some factory option or dealer option like wear and tear insurance... Of course, the dealer may have forced some of the options on people, I would not count those dealers as honoring lease... Nevertheless, Berkeley up north, Kearney down south have car avl at lease price. Bunch more cant remember dealer names.

GasLess
09-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Crickets from my dealer. I'm about to call again...
Interesting article...

http://insideevs.com/fiat-to-sell-491-of-their-500e-in-2013/

FiatCares
09-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Crickets from my dealer. I'm about to call again...
Interesting article...

http://insideevs.com/fiat-to-sell-491-of-their-500e-in-2013/

Gasless:

I apologize for the wait, but I have sent off your information to The California Business Center and they have reached out to your dealer. I hope to get you an update this afternoon.

GasLess
09-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I just talked to service. They connected me to parts. Parts told me the bolts are on back order, with no eta. So my car sits... waiting for some $2 bolts.

How many thousands will Fiat pay for rentals and gas and lease extensions while we wait for bolts? Does Fiat Care? No apologies from the dealer. Sounds like business as usual.

GasLess
09-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Gasless:

I apologize for the wait, but I have sent off your information to The California Business Center and they have reached out to your dealer. I hope to get you an update this afternoon.

Thanks for your response. There is an excellent hardware store in Vacaville that has a wide variety of metric bolts. Perhaps I could pick some up :-) And there's always "pick and pull" :-) I'm here to help...

Cheers, LessGas not GasLess :-(

X

FiatCares
09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I just talked to service. They connected me to parts. Parts told me the bolts are on back order, with no eta. So my car sits... waiting for some $2 bolts.

How many thousands will Fiat pay for rentals and gas and lease extensions while we wait for bolts? Does Fiat Care? No apologies from the dealer. Sounds like business as usual.

Gasless:

We are working on expediting the parts for your vehicle. This is why I had requested your information last week. We appreciate your continued patience.

Fiat500USA
09-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Regrettably, you are not going to find those bolts at a hardware store as they are very particular. You also cannot use used bolts even if you somehow found the correct dimensions as there is a special washer also needed. It is very frustrating to read about the delays, but like most things, there is a lot happening and going on behind the scenes that we can't see like manufacturing, inventorying and shipping. You can bet that people are having stress attacks trying to get these parts out. I can imagine how aggravating it is as I've been in that boat before. Hang in there! Good luck!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-r8xJ0vMgCLQ/UidvyPdZL1I/AAAAAAAASZo/1sbxvmNzNFA/s400/Fiat%2520500e%2520CV%2520Bolts.jpg

GasLess
09-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Regrettably, you are not going to find those bolts at a hardware store as they are very particular. You also cannot use used bolts even if you somehow found the correct dimensions as there is a special washer also needed. It is very frustrating to read about the delays, but like most things, there is a lot happening and going on behind the scenes that we can't see like manufacturing, inventorying and shipping. You can bet that people are having stress attacks trying to get these parts out. I can imagine how aggravating it is as I've been in that boat before. Hang in there! Good luck!

First, the 500e is no boat! Obviously you haven't been in one! But of course I was half joking about the hardware store too. Just too bad they didn't use off the shelf parts from other model cars with half shafts for this one. Perhaps it is due to the higher torque the 500e applies? I like your picture. Thanks.

Less gas

Fiat500USA
09-04-2013, 04:25 PM
I agree. These bolts are always crucial fasteners on cars, but I am sure the torque characteristics of the electric motor take any leeway out of assembling these fasteners. Many car companies recommend changing these when installing new halfshafts, but I would venture to say most people ignore it. You may get away with that on conventional drivetrains, but not on something with high torque

By the way, this is the car Fiat gave me to drive in April:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YsLKcL7s3OQ/UWxlAj0o2GI/AAAAAAAAQ4o/UOIX5FTwvEg/s640/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat-500e%2520155.JPG

GasLess
09-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Got a call today from my dealer. They were delighted when a "whole lotta parts" showed up this morning and my car was the first to be serviced. It should be ready for pick-up. Thanks to Fiat For Caring. We'll be on the road again. I just hope it wasn't my "pick and pull" suggestion that changed things. :-). Cheers!

Fiat500USA
09-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Got a call today from my dealer. They were delighted when a "whole lotta parts" showed up this morning and my car was the first to be serviced. It should be ready for pick-up. Thanks to Fiat For Caring. We'll be on the road again. I just hope it wasn't my "pick and pull" suggestion that changed things. :-). Cheers!

Great news! dancingsmilies

Vince
09-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Which dealer?

Vince

rcboosted
09-09-2013, 03:32 AM
Jonathan, any idea when the batch of 500e will arrive at Orange Coast Fiat? They had a batch waiting but they were shipped back to factory for the recall. Now they don't know for sure when they'll arrive at the dealership. At least that is the story I was told. If I provide you with my VIN, would you be able to track it?

FiatCares
09-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Jonathan, any idea when the batch of 500e will arrive at Orange Coast Fiat? They had a batch waiting but they were shipped back to factory for the recall. Now they don't know for sure when they'll arrive at the dealership. At least that is the story I was told. If I provide you with my VIN, would you be able to track it?

I received your PM; feel free to send me your VIN and I will track your order and provide you the most up to date itinerary.