PDA

View Full Version : Gas overflow hole. Where does it lead to?

Curious
08-28-2013, 09:08 PM
This post is for Jonathan with Fiat Cares to reply to. While filing my 500L up with gas I noticed a tiny hole for the overlow gas to go down. Love to know where this overflow gas goes to. If it goes to the ground then no problem. But if it sends the overflow gas to the gas tank then this could be a problem.

The reason I say this is that rain water and car wash water does get into the gas fill compartment. And that water could be going straight to the gas tank.

So please let me know where the overflow gas goes to. Thanks in advance.

Mario500L
08-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Hello Curious,

That is a good question. I know our 500L uses the "capless refueling system" , what is a good thing for sure.

Indie500L
08-29-2013, 06:54 AM
I think these new capless systems do not overflow since the gas hose fits so tight and it's a water drain that empties onto the ground under the car. I know I already had some bird poop end up in it and can't wait for the fill up after a snow storm! Bound to be a lot of snow and ice in there!

Robert Nixon
08-29-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm sure it goes to the ground just for the reason you mention. After a rain or car wash the inside of my fuel door always has water in there, and I'm sure they didn't design a car that on purpose lets water into the gas tank.

FiatCares
08-29-2013, 11:16 AM
This post is for Jonathan with Fiat Cares to reply to. While filing my 500L up with gas I noticed a tiny hole for the overlow gas to go down. Love to know where this overflow gas goes to. If it goes to the ground then no problem. But if it sends the overflow gas to the gas tank then this could be a problem.

The reason I say this is that rain water and car wash water does get into the gas fill compartment. And that water could be going straight to the gas tank.

So please let me know where the overflow gas goes to. Thanks in advance.

I will certainly look into this for you and get the answer..

jabird101
08-29-2013, 02:01 PM
It drains out on top of the tire. I washed my car and trickled water in there to see where it went and it drains right out the inner fender an onto the rear tire. It can't lead to the tank because water would run in there and it would be an illegal vent for the tank, no carbon filter.

trevc
08-29-2013, 02:24 PM
I have this mental image Of Jonathan peering into the hole to see where it leads.........:joyous:

FiatCares
08-29-2013, 02:47 PM
I have this mental image Of Jonathan peering into the hole to see where it leads.........:joyous:

HAHHAH I shouldve said.. "pun intended." If you never hear from me again.. I fell into the hole.

FiatCares
08-29-2013, 02:52 PM

It is for rain, car wash, etc. and drains to the ground

jabird101
08-29-2013, 02:59 PM

That's better than an image of Jonathan peeing into the hole to see where it goes, which is how I read the message in my email.

FiatCares
08-29-2013, 03:13 PM
That's better than an image of Jonathan peeing into the hole to see where it goes, which is how I read the message in my email.

Hey.. anything for a diagnosis.. I say. :)

Indie500L
08-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Oh that's a bad place to drain if you spill gas right onto the tire!

jabird101
08-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Oh that's a bad place to drain if you spill gas right onto the tire!
How much gas do you spill? It is only an issue if you spill a large amount. Gas evaporates fairly quick. Besides, after you fill up and spill do you sit there or do you pay for the gas and start driving which will fling any remaining gas off the tire and the airflow will help evaporate the rest. You get much worse things on your tires just driving down the road.

Indie500L
08-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Well my friend has a 2006 xB and the gas cap filler area has a rubber boot that lets all the excess gas spill over the fender and onto the sidewall of the tire turning it brown instead of the usual black. But I guess other than the gas that drips out the hose when you remove it from the filler there should not be much gas spilling. It's just not the best thing to drip on a tire. Really if there is no chance of spilling gas then they really could have made the opening drain back out the side of the car fender right? Then again if you wanted to add some fuel additive to the tank and were not using the special funnel that holds the gas flap open in the filler pipe then there could be more things that could spill - onto the tire.

Curious
08-29-2013, 07:12 PM
It is for rain, car wash, etc. and drains to the ground

Good to hear. Thanks Jonathan.

n00dle
08-31-2013, 09:44 PM
I sprayed some water down into the hole to see where it goes.

Here's the little drain hole beneath the fuel filler for those who may be wondering what is being discussed.
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7649&d=1377999590

Here's where the water ends up, on the ground.
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7650&d=1377999605

Here's the tube, running parallel to the rear shock (at 12 o'clock in the photo) with the water bubble about to drop to the ground.
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7651&d=1377999620

Curious
08-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks Noodle. Glad to see it went to the ground and not into your gas tank. That would have been a real bummer for you.

n00dle
08-31-2013, 10:16 PM
I was never concerned and knew it would not go back into the fuel tank. A drain hole is typical in many cars. My test and photos were just to help put concerns at ease.