PDA

View Full Version : Weak Beats & Missing UConnect Audio Settings???

UomoNuovo
08-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Greetings All - After a few months of reading over the forum postings, I made the rash decision to purchase a FIAT 500L Trekking (black with sunroof) - it was just off the truck and I didn't drive it... although I had test driven other 500L cars three times prior (including two trekking and an Easy with sunroof).

i'll get into how I like the car in other areas of this site, but for now I have five troubling observations :

1) The Beats Sound system (which costs extra money) sounds really weak and feeble... with sunroof open and only going about 30mph (traffic on highway) I had to have the volume up to about 2/3 full just to hear it [not blast it, which I never like to do]. Totally unimpressive sound system. My 13 year old stock Ford Explorer has a better sound quality and volume... What gives? What am I missing?

2) If the UConnect (6.5 screen) head unit is turned on (which it seems it will mostly be on) which do you consider the "Home" screen? If I turn on the radio hard button and then switch to MORE, the radio stays on playing. IF I want MORE as home screen without radio playing, how do you do that? Must I press NAV first and then MORE? I'm not finding a straightforward means to have head unit ON without radio playing [and the music MUTE button is not an acceptable answer for me]...

3) Uconnect Audio Settings - Where are the "Speed-sensitive" and "Surround Sound" settings in the Audio settings? Manual says I should have them. UConnect interface doesn't show them.

4) Rearview Camera - You go into Reverse and you get the helpful rearview camera on the screen. Thanks. You then go back into Park and the Rearview camera stays active on the UConnect screen. You physically have to touch the touch-screen to get out of rearview video mode??? Is this how it is for all 500L with 6.5 UConnect head units? Why the extra physical involvement and can this be fixed with a firmware update or something?

5) When I turn on my HighBeams (flick or "keep 'em on" setting) - I hear this really loud "CLUNK" coming from the front of the car. Is this normal for you all? Does the headlamp assembly have to somehow physically shift it's placement to generate the high beam option? Why the clunking sound?

Anyway - I'm happy to be a part of the forum. I've appreciated reading everyones' input over the past few weeks and I'm looking forward to learning and contributing to this community.

If my above issues have been addressed by other threads/users, then please forgive me and help direct me to the right place to read and learn.

Thank you - UomoNuovo [98 miles and climbing]

Wolfepaw
08-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Greetings All - After a few months of reading over the forum postings, I made the rash decision to purchase a FIAT 500L Trekking (black with sunroof) - it was just off the truck and I didn't drive it... although I had test driven other 500L cars three times prior (including two trekking and an Easy with sunroof).

i'll get into how I like the car in other areas of this site, but for now I have five troubling observations :

1) The Beats Sound system (which costs extra money) sounds really weak and feeble... with sunroof open and only going about 30mph (traffic on highway) I had to have the volume up to about 2/3 full just to hear it [not blast it, which I never like to do]. Totally unimpressive sound system. My 13 year old stock Ford Explorer has a better sound quality and volume... What gives? What am I missing?

2) If the UConnect (6.5 screen) head unit is turned on (which it seems it will mostly be on) which do you consider the "Home" screen? If I turn on the radio hard button and then switch to MORE, the radio stays on playing. IF I want MORE as home screen without radio playing, how do you do that? Must I press NAV first and then MORE? I'm not finding a straightforward means to have head unit ON without radio playing [and the music MUTE button is not an acceptable answer for me]...

3) Uconnect Audio Settings - Where are the "Speed-sensitive" and "Surround Sound" settings in the Audio settings? Manual says I should have them. UConnect interface doesn't show them.

4) Rearview Camera - You go into Reverse and you get the helpful rearview camera on the screen. Thanks. You then go back into Park and the Rearview camera stays active on the UConnect screen. You physically have to touch the touch-screen to get out of rearview video mode??? Is this how it is for all 500L with 6.5 UConnect head units? Why the extra physical involvement and can this be fixed with a firmware update or something?

5) When I turn on my HighBeams (flick or "keep 'em on" setting) - I hear this really loud "CLUNK" coming from the front of the car. Is this normal for you all? Does the headlamp assembly have to somehow physically shift it's placement to generate the high beam option? Why the clunking sound?

Anyway - I'm happy to be a part of the forum. I've appreciated reading everyones' input over the past few weeks and I'm looking forward to learning and contributing to this community.

If my above issues have been addressed by other threads/users, then please forgive me and help direct me to the right place to read and learn.

Thank you - UomoNuovo [98 miles and climbing]

1 & 2) Can't answer, don't have the beats package and don't know about what would be called the "home" screen. I just turn the volume off.
3) Curious myself, missing from mine as well even though it says it has it.
4) Mine goes right to the radio screen or media screen, whichever I was on as soon as I take it out of Reverse.
5) The clunk when hitting high beams is normal. My 500 sport does the same thing. It has to do with the head lights and the lens.

Wolfepaw
08-26-2013, 12:37 PM
One other note, my sound system sounds fine, but I don't have the Beats package. I wish it had some of the same sound adjustment options my 500 sport had though. You would think with a computerized touch screen it would have EQ, Loudness, etc. like my little guy.

UomoNuovo
08-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks Wolfepaw - At least I now know the High Beam Headlamp "Clunk" is a feature of the FIAT line... and that, in all likelihood, my Reverse Camera should revert back to some other previous hardbutton mode screen and not remain in reverse video camera mode when I put it back into PARK.

Wolfepaw
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks Wolfepaw - At least I now know the High Beam Headlamp "Clunk" is a feature of the FIAT line... and that, in all likelihood, my Reverse Camera should revert back to some other previous hardbutton mode screen and not remain in reverse video camera mode when I put it back into PARK.

No problem, the whole clunk noise had me freaked out too so I contacted Fiat. At least with the Beats package you get the promised SiriusXM! You get it, but you can't hear it! lol

n00dle
08-26-2013, 02:55 PM
1) I'm ok with it
2) same observation
3) same observation
4) there's a unconnect setting that turns off the camera immediate when switching out of reverse or you can set it for a 10 second delay. it's explained in one of the manuals.
5) I haven't observed a clunk

ABARTH TAMER
08-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Yes, agree the Beats is not so great. Is Dr Dre a doctor, I don't think he's much of an engineer?

I don't hear the highs especially from the tweeters. I have ordered from Amazon new tweeters and front speakers Polk Audio, which I know are great. I'll advise when I get them installed

UomoNuovo
08-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks n00dle... the tip about the uconnect setting and the reverse camera mode delay is great... I'm not with the car now, but when I am I'll check out the settings (and read the manual more closely)...

High Beam clunk is definitely there for me... I'll read up some more (just in case) and then call my studio to also ask...

UomoNuovo
08-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks Abarth Tamer - - - I'll look forward to your report about other speakers... sad thing is I've already paid extra for what is supposed to be a GOOD surround sound / stereo system (complete with little "b" on the holes in the doors) so paying out more cash now (which I don't really have) for other speakers doesn't seem right... but I'm glad it'll work well for you - Enjoy!

Andree
08-26-2013, 04:34 PM
1. Question, does the Explorer have a sunroof too? You'll lose a ton of sound from the wind. Try the system with the sunroof closed, and see if you like it better.

3. Page 44, 45 of the Users Guide have more info on the questions (copy and paste):

Audio Settings
• Touch the Audio soft-key to activate the Audio settings screen to adjust Balance\Fade, Equalizer, and Speed Adjusted Volume.
• You can return to the Radio screen by touching the X located at the top right. 44

Uconnect® 6.5N
Balance/Fade
• Touch the Balance/Fade soft-key to Balance audio between the front speakers or fade the audio between the rear and front speakers.
• Touching the Front, Rear, Left, or Right soft-keys or touch and drag the Speaker Icon to adjust the Balance/Fade.

Equalizer
• Touch the Equalizer soft-key to activate the Equalizer screen.
• Touch the + or - soft-keys, or touch and drag over the level bar for each of the equalizer bands.The level value, which spans between plus or minus 9, is displayed at the bottom of each of the Bands.
Speed Adjusted Volume
• Touch the Speed Adjusted Volume soft-key to activate the Speed Adjusted Volume screen. The Speed Adjusted Volume is adjusted by touching the + and - buttons or by touching and dragging over the level bar.This alters the automatic adjustment of the audio volume with variation to vehicle speed.

Surround Sound
• Touch the Surround Sound soft-key, select On or Off followed by pressing the arrow back soft-key.When this feature is activated, it provides simulated surround sound mode.

---(end paste)---

Page 45 has a picture of the screen. The soft touch audio button should be located on the screen in the lower right corner.

Andree
08-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Parkview Camera details are shown starting on page 126 of the Owners Manual.

Details on the on/off/delay, copy/paste from page 128:

Turning ParkView® On Or Off — ith Uconnect® 6.5/6.5N
1. Press the “Controls” soft-key located on the bottom of the Uconnect® display.
2. Press the “Settings” soft-key.
3. Press the “Safety & Driving Assistance” soft-key.
4. Press the “Parkview Backup camera” soft-key to turn the ParkView® system ON or OFF.
NOTE: A check mark will appear in the selection box to indicate the system is turned ON.

Turning Camera Delay On Or Off

When you are in the “Safety & Assistance” screen there is an option to turn the Camera Delay on or off.
Press the check box soft key next to “Camera Delay” to enable/disable. The default is checked at every key On cycle.
NOTE: A clear ‘X’ exit button will be placed in the bottom left corner while the user is in Drive and camera delay is active.

When the camera delay is active, and the vehicle is shifted into Drive, the camera images will remain on the screen for 10 seconds, the vehicle reaches 8 mph (13 km/h), or until the ‘X’ is pressed. The user is then taken back to their last Radio state. If camera delay is off, the user will be taken directly to their last Radio state once in Drive. When the vehicle is in Drive and the vehicle speed reaches between 9 mph (15 km/h) to 11 mph (18 km/h) the camera images will remain on the screen overlapping the text 􏰁Max speed reached” being displayed.

------

You can download online both the Owners Manual and the Users Guide via the Fiat download page here:
http://www.fiatusa.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

I find them much easier to use than the DVD. Print manual you can order.

UomoNuovo
08-26-2013, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=Andree;625696]1. Question, does the Explorer have a sunroof too? You'll lose a ton of sound from the wind. Try the system with the sunroof closed, and see if you like it better.

3. Page 44, 45 of the Users Guide have more info on the questions (copy and paste):

Audio Settings

Uconnect® 6.5N

Speed Adjusted Volume
• Touch the Speed Adjusted Volume soft-key to activate the Speed Adjusted Volume screen. The Speed Adjusted Volume is adjusted by touching the + and - buttons or by touching and dragging over the level bar.This alters the automatic adjustment of the audio volume with variation to vehicle speed.

Surround Sound
• Touch the Surround Sound soft-key, select On or Off followed by pressing the arrow back soft-key.When this feature is activated, it provides simulated surround sound mode.

---(end paste)---

Hi Andree - and thanks for the reply and info...

The trouble is that the AUDIO SETTINGS page on my screen does not even have the Speed Adjusted Volume or Surround Sound soft-keys. They don't exist (that I can see)... just Balance/Fade and Equalizer... and I do have 6.5 screen/beats/SXM radio enabled and active...

[and, yes, the Explorer has sunroof and four windows and better stock sound system... somehow I don't know how, but it does]

Andree
08-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on your new Trekking! Welcome to the forum, I can see you've made yourself at home! :)

Andree
08-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Uh oh! Okay, if it's not there, check back with the dealer.

We could use some input from owners in this thread to see if they have the buttons or not.

It may be one of those computer things where they need to flash update your unit.

I'm of no use, as I don't have a 500L to experiment on.

UomoNuovo
08-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Much appreciated... I'm a bit lost because I'm moving to a new house and the new car is just sitting there without me for a few days... I'm sure the kinks will work themselves out once I get to put it through the paces of the normal commute, etc... and spend a weekend with the downloaded manuals you suggest and just play with it all... Thanks again!

Wolfepaw
08-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Uh oh! Okay, if it's not there, check back with the dealer.

We could use some input from owners in this thread to see if they have the buttons or not.

It may be one of those computer things where they need to flash update your unit.

I'm of no use, as I don't have a 500L to experiment on.

I do not have the buttons. Mine is the same as what the OP states.

turtlelin
08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
I do not have the buttons. Mine is the same as what the OP states.

Same here. I only have the Balance/Fader and Treble/Mid/Bass settings.

I am a little disappointed in the Beats audio system but find that when I turn the volume up to the low 20s, the sound is somewhat better. As a stereo system alone, I don't think it's worth the $700 price, not to mention the reduced trunk space as a result of the equipment.

Unfortunately, we absolutely HAD to have the dual color roof and couldn't find a car that had that option without the Beats package.

n00dle
08-26-2013, 09:46 PM
for reference in case someone needs to see the option for the back up camera delay and also the missing options for the audio surround and speed adjusted loudness.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7621&d=1377567933

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7622&d=1377567645

UomoNuovo
08-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Yes, my Audio Settings are just like those in the photo n00dle posted above...

Regarding "beats" sound system - FIAT should be ashamed for charging extra money for this... It crossed my mind that something was up when the sales folks at the various dealers I went to never once turned it on to "show it off" --- I initially (on the day I drove the car home) thought that my system was somehow broken it sounded so weak... very disappointing indeed.

High Beam "Clunk" ??? Any other 500L owners experiencing the rather pronounced "thunking" sound when you turn on (or flick) your high beams???

Thank again all -

n00dle
08-26-2013, 10:39 PM
I paid attention earlier today using the high beam and yes it clunks, but it doesn't bother me. Sounds like a relay kicking in to power it up.

Andree
08-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Yes, my Audio Settings are just like those in the photo n00dle posted above...

Regarding "beats" sound system - FIAT should be ashamed for charging extra money for this... It crossed my mind that something was up when the sales folks at the various dealers I went to never once turned it on to "show it off" --- I initially (on the day I drove the car home) thought that my system was somehow broken it sounded so weak... very disappointing indeed.

High Beam "Clunk" ??? Any other 500L owners experiencing the rather pronounced "thunking" sound when you turn on (or flick) your high beams???

Thank again all -

I have that in my regular 500. It is pretty loud. It always surprises me when I flash my headlights at people who don't have their lights on in the dark, or for big trucks to merge into my lane.

First time I heard it, it sounded like some very important part just fell out. Or that I ran over a dinosaur bone. Haha...

If you have someone to flash the headlights while you're outside watching them, it may explain why the sound is so loud. Or not. I don't have anyone to flash my lights while I stand out outside the car.

Edit: Also, the Beats has the Sirius. Don't forget that part!

Andree
08-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Okay, so, who wants to call customer service or take the vehicle into the dealer?

Phone number from the Users Guide for the Customer Center is 1–800–423–6343

Edit: Which took me to the Dodge center, LOL. Apparently it will just shoot the call to whomever is available.

Phone customer center has no info. Suggests taking vehicle to the dealership to have it checked.

I did explain on the phone that there are only two kinds of 6.5 options on the Easy, Lounge, Trekking. Either the Premier Package as it comes, or ordering the Beats/Sirius. There are no other options to add to the 6.5 unit.

Therefore, if there IS supposed to be a Speed Adjusted Volume and Surround Sound soft touch button, it should be (in my opinion) on at least the most expensive option, the Beats/Sirius.

If it's NOT on the Beats/Sirius 6.5 unit, then either the User Guide is in error, OR there's a problem with the 6.5 unit.

Fixing the 6.5 unit to render the soft touch buttons may be one of those computer flash updates. Which will require someone somewhere to look into the problem in depth and create the fix.

Before creating the fix, someone who has the problem actually needs to go to the dealership to get the ball rolling. The more people who go into the dealership asking about their 6.5 unit and the information in the User's Guide, the faster the possibility that someone will pay attention and pass it on to the people who can make the fix. Or admit that the User's Guide is wrong.

Andree
08-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Who is going to volunteer?

UomoNuovo
08-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Grazie, Andree - I'll be happy to take my 500L with missing audio settings back to the studio, but I'm not even living with my car right now (moving out to a new house and I'm driving the other utility vehicle for the move week)...

I'm also waiting on more driving time so that I can compile a clear list of all the minor issues that I discover during actual usage. Fortunately, the car looks good and drives well, but, as we are all finding, there are those annoying discrepancies in certain functionality - mainly the 6.5 Uconnect.

Once I move, my studio will be an hour and 45 minutes drive away... not thrilled about having to go out there without a clear list of my concerns. BUT when I do, I will notify this forum about what they say and do to help the issues (especially the missing audio settings & explanation about the weak "beats" sound system)

ciao ~

Andree
08-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Was reading through the Users Guide, and it appears both the 5.0 and the 6.5 units should have the missing options:

5.0 UConnect, pages 35-36 of the Users Guide:

Equalizer, Balance and Fade
1. Press the MORE hard-key below the display then press the Setting soft-key. 2. Scroll down and press the Audio soft-key to open the Audio menu. 3. The Audio Menu shows the following options for you to customize your audio settings.

Equalizer
• Touch the Equalizer soft-key to adjust the Bass, Mid and Treble. Use the + or - soft-key to adjust the equalizer to your desired settings.

Balance/Fade
• Touch the Balance/Fade soft-key to adjust the sound from the speakers. Use the arrow soft-keys to adjust the sound level from the front and rear or right and left side speakers. Touch the Center “C” soft-key to reset the balance and fade to the factory setting.

Speed Adjusted Volume
• Touch the SpeedAdjustedVolume soft-key to select between OFF,1,2 or 3.This will decrease the radio volume relative to a decrease in vehicle speed.

Loudness
• Touch the Loudness soft-key to select the Loudness feature.When this feature is acti- vated it improves sound quality at lower volumes.

Surround Sound

jabird101
08-29-2013, 01:54 PM
This is well known and has been addressed to both the dealers and Fiat Cares by many folks in the other 500 board. Nothing you can do except report it yourself and then wait to see if Fiat wants to fix it. Others are also reporting a loud popping sound at random times on the 6.5 with and without beats.

As far as the clunk. There is a click of a relay I hear.

ABARTH TAMER
08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks Abarth Tamer - - - I'll look forward to your report about other speakers... sad thing is I've already paid extra for what is supposed to be a GOOD surround sound / stereo system (complete with little "b" on the holes in the doors) so paying out more cash now (which I don't really have) for other speakers doesn't seem right... but I'm glad it'll work well for you - Enjoy!

THIS TRANSFORMED THE SYSTEM, THIS CHANGE ALONE!

Even the lows sound better, high volume, low volume, Classical, Rock, Jazz, Country all 200% better.

Dr Dre Beats should be ashamed of himself lending his name to this stock system. (I don't think he is a real doctor)
I will install the 6.5's in the front doors when I return from vacation, but happy with this $58 upgrade alone.

ABARTH TAMER
08-29-2013, 02:05 PM
THIS TRANSFORMED THE SYSTEM, THIS CHANGE ALONE!

Even the lows sound better, high volume, low volume, Classical, Rock, Jazz, Country all 200% better.

Dr Dre Beats should be ashamed of himself lending his name to this stock system. (I don't think he is a real doctor)
I will install the 6.5's in the front doors when I return from vacation, but happy with this $58 upgrade alone.

That's new Polk Audio tweeters in the A pillars for now

UomoNuovo
08-29-2013, 04:33 PM
That's new Polk Audio tweeters in the A pillars for now

I'm not an audiophile (or much of a car guy), but if you say a $58 upgrade has improved the system by "200%" then I'm interested (eventually) in pursuing something like this... glad to hear your positive report - thanks!

Indie500L
08-29-2013, 11:54 PM
When you say the radio is not loud enough just turn up the volume! It goes up to like 60 or something right? So as long as the speakers are not distorting keep turning it louder. It's not like the old days when the volume was blasting at half and beyond that it was not usable giving the false feeling of ample power - now a days you have to turn it up! In my friends 2006 xB the volume goes up to 60 and 40 is blasting and still clear 20 is a very low level and has a 160 watts headset with 6 speakers.

Jalpa_Mike
09-22-2013, 01:52 PM
My input to this thread:

I have Beats & UConnect 6.5

I also do not have the "Surround Sound" or "Speed Adjusted Volume" controls.

Also, have been going nuts trying to figure out how to move the music from my iPod onto an SD Card. First time I did it, all the music showed up on the screen (as well as the album art work). However, it sorted the music by "Songs" So, I had 3800 songs organized from A to Z. I thought I'd go back and try saving it by Artist, then Album. But, no matter what I do, absolutely nothing shows on the screen! It thinks the SD card is empty.

Jalpa_Mike
09-22-2013, 04:07 PM
UPDATE

Got it fixed. Ended up reformatting the SD Card and copying the files again. Worked like a charm this time.

So, now when you go to MEDIA and click on the SD CARD icon, you first see all the artists names. Then when you click on the Artist Name is shows all the Albums and after you select the Album, you can choose your song.

jabird101
09-22-2013, 06:29 PM
UPDATE

Got it fixed. Ended up reformatting the SD Card and copying the files again. Worked like a charm this time.

So, now when you go to MEDIA and click on the SD CARD icon, you first see all the artists names. Then when you click on the Artist Name is shows all the Albums and after you select the Album, you can choose your song.

What size SD card are you using?

Jalpa_Mike
09-22-2013, 06:44 PM
what size sd card are you using?

32gb

jabird101
09-22-2013, 06:58 PM
32gb

Cool, I was going to pick up a few 32GB cards, but couldn't find any specifications about what size cards were supported. I did try an old external 40GB disk drive and it worked fine on USB, and threw in an old 2GB SD card and it worked fine also. Has anybody tried a 64GB or 128GB card?