PDA

View Full Version : WA state - trekking

Luv2byte
08-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Wahooo...I've been watching, reading & slathering over the 500L for nearly 2yrs. Since we are visiting Seattle this weekend we decided to stop to see if I really do like the 500L. I was pretty sure the one for me was a trekking but looked at lounge too. LOVE the 500L, more than I expected, even after all this time but often reality isn't what you thought it was...in this case it was as expected. Love it! They offered us a great trade in price, fantastic really, but they only have one car that had all we wanted & it was out at a sales guy's house for the night.

We thought about it, emailed that we would stop by today to see it today. We really had to seriously consider it now tho becaus elf trade in offered. We were not going to do it until next year. Well...we looked at lounge again as well as the trekker that was finally there. Test drove trekker, loved it. Test drove lounge, hated it, didn't even get off the lot to know I didn't like it all all.

It's black w sunroof. (yeah I know but really, this summer was a fluke & inlive in western Washington, besides that is what ac is for).

I can't wait to bring it home, we left it for some things we wanted done to it so they gave us a 500L east loaner (w only 30mi for the week until we make it back to the dealer).

Ellie

Andree
08-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Oooh, congratulations!

You'll enjoy your new car, I'm sure. If you've been waiting for it to show up for a few years, you've waited long enough.

What was it about the Trekking that you liked much better than the Lounge?

Luv2byte
08-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Oooh, congratulations!

What was it about the Trekking that you liked much better than the Lounge?

I like the sporty trim on the trekking, gives it a more solid, finished look. I don't care for the look of vented (holes) leather, which is in the lounge, I do like the leather accents in the trekker (not vented). I like the satin accents over the chrome, profile overall is slightly different, didn't care for chrome side mirrors at all but not a deal breaker either. I also like the wheel design a little better as well as tire size, its not a huge size difference but does look better when looking at the profiles side by side. I did like the forrest green w white top of the lounge but the all black trekker looked more refined w a hint of sportiness to it. As for driving the trekker felt more solid, better feel with the suspension. The lounge felt loose for lack of a better description, just not as nice when turning or steering.

Both cars were maxed out in "packages" so features were similar.

Hard part now is 3 day wait to come back to pick it up.

duster497
08-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Congrats!! I don't know that I could wait the 3 days on top of 2 years!! :P

Luv2byte
08-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Congrats!! I don't know that I could wait the 3 days on top of 2 years!! :P

3 days is nothing, home stretch...and they put us in a 500L easy for a "loaner", knowing we will put 300-350mi on it by time we pick up our car.

Andree
08-25-2013, 03:21 PM
I like the sporty trim on the trekking, gives it a more solid, finished look. I don't care for the look of vented (holes) leather, which is in the lounge, I do like the leather accents in the trekker (not vented). I like the satin accents over the chrome, profile overall is slightly different, didn't care for chrome side mirrors at all but not a deal breaker either. I also like the wheel design a little better as well as tire size, its not a huge size difference but does look better when looking at the profiles side by side. I did like the forrest green w white top of the lounge but the all black trekker looked more refined w a hint of sportiness to it. As for driving the trekker felt more solid, better feel with the suspension. The lounge felt loose for lack of a better description, just not as nice when turning or steering.

Both cars were maxed out in "packages" so features were similar.

Hard part now is 3 day wait to come back to pick it up.

That's excellent feedback. I like the details.

And those kinds of details can help others make a choice when it comes to their own 500L. I didn't know that the suspension was different on the Trekking, and I keep forgetting about the satin chrome trim available only on the Trekking. Would love to see close up pics of the satin chrome when your new 500L is home.

Are you familiar with the care of black cars? I had a black car before, and I had no idea how to keep it shiny. It's different than regular colors. Which I didn't know when I got the car. You might want to do some reading on black car care, and check out the various products out there. Lucky for you, the internet has many discussions, there was no internet when I had my car.

You'll want to take the extra time with the care of the car, because nothing is shinier than a clean black car. You could probably talk to a limo service and ask them what they use. Those limos are always clean and shiny!

Andree
08-25-2013, 03:33 PM
3 days is nothing, home stretch...and they put us in a 500L easy for a "loaner", knowing we will put 300-350mi on it by time we pick up our car.

Wow, your dealer rocks!

It's good for them too, you know. Getting the 500L out there where people can see it is absolutely good business.

I was just looking at some news last night, and while it seems like the 500L has been here awhile, it's only been a bit more than a month.

"Thursday, July 18, 2013
First Fiats Arrive at Port of San Diego"

and

"Manufactured in Europe, the first shipments are the Fiat Model 500L which joins the Fiat 500 line currently produced in Mexico. The shipments are handled by the Grimaldi Group who will utilize NYK Steamship Line for these imports, with the vessel Demeter Leader bringing in the first 370 of these shiny new cars, along with a shipment of Volkswagens, Audis and Porsches."

from: http://www.pashagroup.com/news/pasha-automotive-services-lands-fiat-contract

Only 370 for the first shipment. For some reason I thought it was thousands. LOL. There have been a couple shipments I think, since July, but if it's about the same number, the cars won't be common on the roads. And that shipment was for the entire West Coast.

Just to let you know how effective getting a car on the road is, one person on the forum saw a 500L one day, never had seen one before, didn't know about it. Bought one the next day. It can be that simple, to see a car and KNOW that's the car you need.

So you're doing a favor for them too. Hours of free advertising that may result in many sales!

Luv2byte
08-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Two of the three things we are doing is to help protect the black paint. We are having a coating out on that minimizes swirls & acts like a professional wax detail that just happens to have a ten year life. The other is a coating (think clear, hard shell) that will help prevent rock chips & scratches as well as guard the car & wheels against the liquid de-icer that WA state uses (and destroys rims quickly). Between these two I'm hoping to minimize swirls & dulling of the paint. We are also having interior protected (& warranties) since we have two dogs that ride w us often as well as various kids (nieces/nephews) all ages. Nice thing is our credit union gives $1,000 credit towards this type of protectants done so helps w cost.

One thing I do like about it is Fiat did the black very well, it's a nice, deep solid black, not a gray or green hue to it at all. True black. Kinda sexy looking & we were never fans of black cars before.

And only auto soap I use is Mothers, its a good idea to look into see if I should use a different formula than what I have now and save what I have to use on my z3.

Quite excited for Wednesday.

Andree
08-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Two of the three things we are doing is to help protect the black paint. We are having a coating out on that minimizes swirls & acts like a professional wax detail that just happens to have a ten year life. The other is a coating (think clear, hard shell) that will help prevent rock chips & scratches as well as guard the car & wheels against the liquid de-icer that WA state uses (and destroys rims quickly). Between these two I'm hoping to minimize swirls & dulling of the paint. We are also having interior protected (& warranties) since we have two dogs that ride w us often as well as various kids (nieces/nephews) all ages. Nice thing is our credit union gives $1,000 credit towards this type of protectants done so helps w cost.

One thing I do like about it is Fiat did the black very well, it's a nice, deep solid black, not a gray or green hue to it at all. True black. Kinda sexy looking & we were never fans of black cars before.

And only auto soap I use is Mothers, its a good idea to look into see if I should use a different formula than what I have now and save what I have to use on my z3.

Quite excited for Wednesday.

Good job! You're prepared!

If there's a name for the coatings, post them. I'm sure it would be helpful to others.

Luv2byte
08-25-2013, 08:20 PM
I will post on Wednesday, all the info is in our car.:onthego:

Luv2byte
08-25-2013, 10:01 PM
While the pics are still on dealer website:
http://www.fiatofkirkland.com/2014-FIAT-500L-Trekking-Kirkland-WA/vd/16253729

Andree
08-26-2013, 03:22 AM
It's gorgeous! You can swipe those images by dragging them to your desktop. That way you'll always have pictures of your car before you got it!

I like how the sunroof cover adds some light to the interior, kind of a glowing panel above. There's another thing I like about the 500L sunroof, the rear seat lights are on each side by the door. I'm guessing they can operate individually, or maybe the always act in tandem with the front interior lights.

If they operate individually, that's a nice bonus. One side might want the light on to read, while the other side wants to nap.

If they operate with the front interior lights, I'd think having the lights on the side would perhaps cast a bit of light towards the outside of the car too, so you can see a bit more of what you might be stepping out into. Which you wouldn't see with a center overhead light in the back.

I only see discussion about the front overhead lights in the manual.

Luv2byte
08-26-2013, 08:59 AM
It's gorgeous! You can swipe those images by dragging them to your desktop. That way you'll always have pictures of your car before you got it!

I like how the sunroof cover adds some light to the interior, kind of a glowing panel above. There's another thing I like about the 500L sunroof, the rear seat lights are on each side by the door. I'm guessing they can operate individually, or maybe the always act in tandem with the front interior lights.

If they operate individually, that's a nice bonus. One side might want the light on to read, while the other side wants to nap.

If they operate with the front interior lights, I'd think having the lights on the side would perhaps cast a bit of light towards the outside of the car too, so you can see a bit more of what you might be stepping out into. Which you wouldn't see with a center overhead light in the back.

I only see discussion about the front overhead lights in the manual.

If they are like our loaner Easy, they operate when doors open then individually as reading lights. And yes, I did save a couple pics..duuhhhh. bigclap

The sunroof is awesome, makes car feel very roomy & love how much brighter it is. The pics do not do the overall look justice, interior looks sharp & is a nice heavy upholstery accented w leather.

Andree
08-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Glad to hear they operate as reading lights too. I really like the idea of side specific lights.

You have a twin here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11554-Weak-Beats-amp-Missing-UConnect-Audio-Settings&p=625661&viewfull=1#post625661

It can be useful to find a twin to swap stories on car care and performance. Even if you both don't have the same options or transmission, you do share many parts.

Luv2byte
08-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Good job! You're prepared!

If there's a name for the coatings, post them. I'm sure it would be helpful to others.

We are having Cilajet put on, paint sealant, to minimize swirls & keep dirt/bugs from settiling into the paint; also keep paint shiny & deep. This is also being done to the interior (like Scotchguard) for cloth & leather on the interior. Then we have a 3M "clear bra" being applied to protect further against rock chips & minor scratches. We live on a logging road, in the country and on top of that our state uses the corrosive to paint & trim liquid de-icer, also, every year our county "polishes" the road -thickc coat of oil followed by. Liberal layer of fine gravel then after a couple weeks they clean up any remaining gravel. Effective for maintaining road, horrible for our cars.