PDA

View Full Version : Mini spare tire update

Curious
08-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Wondering how many folks paid for a mini-spare in your deal, mini-spare to be installed later, when ever Fiat comes out with them. I paid for one in my deal. Called my dealer to see if they have the kit now. They DO have them in stock now, got 30 kits. But Fiat has a big problem with the kits. Long story short the holes do not match up with the holes in the car. So Fiat has to re-make all of them. The dealer has no idea when they will have new kits with holes correctly aligned to the car.

Love to know if anyone has had a spare tire kit added after you got your 500L without the above problems.

Hey Jonathan with Fiat Cares what's the scoop here? Thanks.

jabird101
08-24-2013, 07:58 PM
I did not pay up front for the tire, but have been waiting for them to hit the market. This is good news, sort of. We know that they are real, just not real good. :rofl:

Do you know what they cost?

Curious
08-24-2013, 08:19 PM
I paid $450.00 which is what it costs to get it from the factory. I think it was a good deal for me as the dealer had to install it and I do not pay extra for the installation.

To me a mini-spare is a must have. The fix a flat tire inflator will not inflate a tire with a hole the size of a quarter in it. Hey it happens. And who wants to wait for roadside assistance to tow you to a tire repair shop that is closed (after hours) or on a Sunday?

I agree with you. It's good to hear, means that they planned from the start to offer this as an after the fact add on possibility for customers that want it. Same thing goes for the trailer hitch. It WILL BE available too. It's all part of the waiting game.

Andree
08-24-2013, 09:36 PM
n00dle has one!

Photo here:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11270-Trekking-in-LA!&p=624399&viewfull=1#post624399

FiatCares
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Wondering how many folks paid for a mini-spare in your deal, mini-spare to be installed later, when ever Fiat comes out with them. I paid for one in my deal. Called my dealer to see if they have the kit now. They DO have them in stock now, got 30 kits. But Fiat has a big problem with the kits. Long story short the holes do not match up with the holes in the car. So Fiat has to re-make all of them. The dealer has no idea when they will have new kits with holes correctly aligned to the car.

Love to know if anyone has had a spare tire kit added after you got your 500L without the above problems.

Hey Jonathan with Fiat Cares what's the scoop here? Thanks.

At this time, there is no official date released. We have many overseas suppliers involved in the components. I will share more when I hear more.

Curious
08-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks Jonathan, much appreciated.

Curious
09-21-2013, 01:37 PM
At this time, there is no official date released. We have many overseas suppliers involved in the components. I will share more when I hear more.

Hey Jonathan I would love to have an update. I paid for a spare tire kit when I got my car, to be added whenever they are available. Checked with the parts folks at my dealer today and they have no idea when they will get them. As previously mentioned they got 30 kits and had to send them all back as the holes did not line up. Love to know when this will be resolved and when dealers will get them. Am certain that others on this site would love to have a spare added. So please let us all have an update and let us know when they should be available. Thanks in advance.

Luv2byte
09-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Our trekking came with the spare but no air pump...I'd like both, is the pump available?

Mario500L
09-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Hey Jonathan I would love to have an update. I paid for a spare tire kit when I got my car, to be added whenever they are available. Checked with the parts folks at my dealer today and they have no idea when they will get them. As previously mentioned they got 30 kits and had to send them all back as the holes did not line up. Love to know when this will be resolved and when dealers will get them. Am certain that others on this site would love to have a spare added. So please let us all have an update and let us know when they should be available. Thanks in advance.

"as previously mentioned they got 30 kits and had to send them all back as the holes did not line up".

Oh Jz, on a joke side, they are most like using metric system to make the holes, since, help me G, US is the only place that uses these %&^* "non metric" system.

FiatCares
09-26-2013, 05:42 PM

I requested an update and was told there still is no release date. I apologize.

Curious
09-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Hey Joanthan thanks for the info. I can't help but wonder, why not get them shipped from the factory in Serbia? Serious question. After all they do have them over there and the holes on those ones do line up with the holes on the car. So why not get them from there? Thanks to let us all know. Lots of other folks want them too.

FiatCares
09-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Hey Joanthan thanks for the info. I can't help but wonder, why not get them shipped from the factory in Serbia? Serious question. After all they do have them over there and the holes on those ones do line up with the holes on the car. So why not get them from there? Thanks to let us all know. Lots of other folks want them too.

. Best time line I could get is second week of October.

Curious
09-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Fantastic to hear. Thanks much.

Curious
10-17-2013, 07:52 PM
. Best time line I could get is second week of October.

Hey Jonathan love to have an update. Thanks in advance.

FiatCares
10-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Hey Jonathan love to have an update. Thanks in advance.

Fiat 500L Spare Tire Kit 82214046 is available.
Spare Tire Kit includes tire, wheel, jack and all hardware required for complete installation
Dealer Net: $296
MSRP: $395

The current 500 Spare Tire Kit is not yet available.

Curious
10-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Fiat 500L Spare Tire Kit 82214046 is available.
Spare Tire Kit includes tire, wheel, jack and all hardware required for complete installation
Dealer Net: $296
MSRP: $395

The current 500 Spare Tire Kit is not yet available.

Hey Jonathan this is good news. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow. I paid for my spare tire kit in the purchase price of my car. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Curious
10-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Oh and Jonathan FYI my dealer ordered my mini spare kit today. I get it installed next Saturday.

Luv2byte
10-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Odd retail is below what they are charging for it coming w the car ($450). Any word on being able to get the air pump kit for those of us that had the spare come w their car?

Andree
10-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Odd retail is below what they are charging for it coming w the car ($450). Any word on being able to get the air pump kit for those of us that had the spare come w their car?

If it comes with the car, it's been installed, so there is a labor cost figured in (is my guess).

Curious
10-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Hey Jonathan I got my mini spare installed today. Thanks again for your help.

For those thinking about getting a mini spare you may be interested to know that it came with a bag to put a flat tire into. As you may or may not know a full sized flat tire will not fit under the car where the mini is stowed. You gotta put the flat tire inside the car. If you did not get this bag in a car that already has a mini spare then it's a good idea to carry a large trash bag to put a flat into so the tire does not get passengers or luggage dirty.

Jalpa_Mike
10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
MOPAR Parts Online now has a listing, along with photos and downloadable instructions. $340.40:

http://moparonlineparts.com/fiat-500l-spare-tire-p-5387.html

Mike

sam18428
10-31-2013, 08:05 PM
I ordered one of the above tire kits last week. It was delivered today, and i had it installed in about a half hour.
I didn't even have to put vehicle on a lift. There was enough space to slide under and install tire lift unit. All that was necessary was a 13mm socket and a 6 mm allen wrench to remove the storage unit under the package shelf.
A real easy DIY project.

rnddude
11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Can anyone clarify which models this kit does/does not fit?

MAZ
11-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Is there a reason that Fiat didn't put a spare tire well in the boot of the cars?
(like most modern car companies have been doing for the past 50 years)

Curious
11-01-2013, 07:42 PM
I really wish they had made it a well inside the car instead of putting it under the car. I now have one, got it last weekend. I dread having to get dirty going under the car to fetch it if I get a flat. I saw a prototype of the 500L with the spare in a well in the trunk area. Why they nixed that idea is a disappointing mystery to me.

pelegri
11-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I suspect it will not work for the 500e; anybody knows?

Curious
11-03-2013, 05:28 PM
I have no idea what the underside of a 500E looks like. I suspect batteries may be under the trunk area. Suggest you just ask your dealer if you can get one there. And FYI it's not listed as an option in the build and price.

Fiat500USA
11-03-2013, 06:17 PM
I suspect it will not work for the 500e; anybody knows?

I have no idea what the underside of a 500E looks like. I suspect batteries may be under the trunk area. Suggest you just ask your dealer if you can get one there. And FYI it's not listed as an option in the build and price.

Yep, No room:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RPHuqAmkAp8/UPXVtsDYYcI/AAAAAAAAPWA/fAxy7GB2eLs/s640/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat-at-2013-Detroit%253DAuto-Show%2520184.JPG

Jalpa_Mike
11-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Is there a reason that Fiat didn't put a spare tire well in the boot of the cars?
(like most modern car companies have been doing for the past 50 years)

More and more manufacturers are not providing spare tires with their cars. Some (like my Maserati) are equipped with "run flat" tires that let you drive at a reduced speed to a repair facility.

Here is a list as of August this year that shows all the cars that don't come with a spare tire:

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Vehicles-without-a-spare-tire_Aug_20131.pdf

Mike

Fiat500USA
11-04-2013, 12:58 AM
More and more manufacturers are not providing spare tires with their cars. Some (like my Maserati) are equipped with "run flat" tires that let you drive at a reduced speed to a repair facility.

Here is a list as of August this year that shows all the cars that don't come with a spare tire:

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Vehicles-without-a-spare-tire_Aug_20131.pdf

Mike

Not only that, but there is a statistic that says most owners now don't know how to change a tire and just call AAA. Definitely different times we live in...