PDA

View Full Version : What ever happen to the Abarth Venom?

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
08-24-2013, 01:28 PM
When I first got in line to put down a deposit on the 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth back in March of 2012 there was a high performance modded version called the Venom. This sort of faded away, what happen to that program of performance parts from Fiat?

ScorpionSkins.com
08-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Reference, for those by any chance unfamiliar with the Venom...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n4g5o8fqcGU/URV3o2ZMTxI/AAAAAAAAQSM/Irqpv6AASdk/s400/Fullscreen%2520capture%2520282013%252050622%2520PM .jpg

Exterior:
Carbon fiber hood
Carbon fiber chin spoiler
Carbon fiber rear spoiler
Carbon fiber rear diffuser
Carbon fiber mirror caps
Carbon fiber antenna cap
Sport Turbo front and rear lights
Matte black Abarth bodyside decal

Interior:
Sabelt carbon fiber/suede seats
Carbon fiber dashboard
Carbon fiber hand brake handle
Carbon fiber shift knob
Carbon fiber weave door armrests

Performance:
Cold air intake with sport air filter
Polished turbo compressor housing
Ceramic coated heat shield
Suspension set - lowering kit
New blow off valve
Optimized ECU
High performance brakes
Exhaust system
17″ Abarth black matte aluminum wheels

It wouldn't matter to me if they chose to never release the majority of those components (as some aftermarket variant already exists), but I'm still very much hoping for a MOPAR branded (warranty approved?) ECU box.

More info and pics on the Venom:
http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/04/inside-fiat-500-abarth-venom.html

DesmosDromos
08-24-2013, 01:46 PM
The Magneti Marelli ECU was used in that car and is available. I know 500 Madness stocks them.

ScorpionSkins.com
08-24-2013, 01:52 PM
The Magneti Marelli ECU was used in that car and is available. I know 500 Madness stocks them.

Yes, unfortunately I've read of too many issues and lack of support with the Magneti Marelli ECU currently available, which if I'm not mistaken is the imported European unit. (also not warranty approved, which is a deal breaker for me).

DesmosDromos
08-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Yes, unfortunately I've read of too many issues and lack of support with the Magneti Marelli ECU currently available, which if I'm not mistaken is the imported European unit. (also not warranty approved, which is a deal breaker for me).

Good to know. I've been trying to decide which one to get. There a thread you can point me to on the issues?

redred
08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I was wondering a similar thing about Jay Leno's custom Abarth. He posted a teaser of some mods he was going to do on Leno's garage a long time ago and mentioned several Mopar performance parts being use but then never followed up on it.

08-24-2013, 04:45 PM
It was only ever a concept and like most they dont see light of day!

No issues with the MM box here, 45k on it and all is great. Remember the Madness and RRM boxes are just reprogrammed TMC boxes - and TMC boxes are the old speedbuster boxes from Germany. They got a lot of issues in Europe when released as youll see on the Abarthisti forums. Search here for MM ECM and youll see less than 1% of the hundreds sold had an issue. Some had a fried component that got replaced. Older ones needed a software update after the Abarth PCM recall. You dont hear issues these days.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
08-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info, I was just thinking that it sort of fizzed out. Seems like a cool concept, too bad.

Tweak
08-24-2013, 10:41 PM

No issues with the MM box here, 45k on it and all is great. Remember the Madness and RRM boxes are just reprogrammed TMC boxes - and TMC boxes are the old speedbuster boxes from Germany. They got a lot of issues in Europe when released as youll see on the Abarthisti forums. Search here for MM ECM and youll see less than 1% of the hundreds sold had an issue. Some had a fried component that got replaced. Older ones needed a software update after the Abarth PCM recall. You dont hear issues these days.

Thought they were talking about the ECU itself, not the piggyback? That was how I read it anyway.

Abarth67
08-24-2013, 11:04 PM

I purchased my Marelli box shortly after buying may car in 2012. I have not had a single issue with the box and it performs nicely. i have heard that the RRM box is better and it might be but my MM box is such an upgrade over stock that it is like comparing blonds to brunettes. I did the software update when the PCM was updated and it was smooth as silk, No issues whatsoever so far with about 15 k.

08-25-2013, 02:29 AM
Thought they were talking about the ECU itself, not the piggyback? That was how I read it anyway.

They said that "Madness stocks them", and talked about warranty so I just figured they meant ECM plus all our cars ECUs are made by MM.

Fiat500USA
08-25-2013, 07:08 AM
This story has more info: Fiat 500 Abarth Venom Details (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/03/fiat-500-abarth-venom-details.html)

More: Fiat 500 Abarth Venom Archives (http://www.fiat500usa.com/search/label/Fiat%20500%20Abarth%20Venom)

Tweak
08-25-2013, 10:54 PM
They said that "Madness stocks them", and talked about warranty so I just figured they meant ECM plus all our cars ECUs are made by MM.

Yeah, we all have the MM but I was thinking they were speaking of the actual ECU due to how it was worded and because we have the Bosch ECU and they mentioned it being the European version. just interpreted it wrong when i read it. ;)

I re-read it, it was the wording and skimming over it that led me to ask the question above of which they were speaking of...hence the ? at the end. :D Thanks buddy!