PDA

View Full Version : 500T bypass electronic boost solenoid

opiateESP
08-24-2013, 02:16 AM
So tonight I hooked up my manual boost controller with some great information from sfhpawel. So far, it looks like a MBC can be used to get around the boost drop in 1st and 2nd gear on an electronically stock 500T. This is done by bypassing the boost solenoid that is between the actuator and the turbo. I installed a mechanical boost gauge to check where the boost was at last weekend. This showed that the 500T was peaking around 16 PSI then settling down to 10 PSI for 1st and 2nd gear then held a constant 14-15 in 3rd through 5th. With the MBC installed, it peaks at 16-17 then sustains 13-14 psi through all gears. I currently have it set a little too high which causes the dump valve to release anything it deems excessive (causes repeated "psst, psst, psst") in first and second then hits limp mode in the high gears as it is trying to sustain 17 PSI.

Anyhow, I'm going to put more time into this tomorrow. Tired. Sleep.

shagghie
12-01-2013, 12:34 PM
hey hey! what ever happened with the MBC set-up? Were you able to get her going without limp mode? I have a buddy with a 500T that is intrigued!

So tonight I hooked up my manual boost controller with some great information from sfhpawel. So far, it looks like a MBC can be used to get around the boost drop in 1st and 2nd gear on an electronically stock 500T. This is done by bypassing the boost solenoid that is between the actuator and the turbo. I installed a mechanical boost gauge to check where the boost was at last weekend. This showed that the 500T was peaking around 16 PSI then settling down to 10 PSI for 1st and 2nd gear then held a constant 14-15 in 3rd through 5th. With the MBC installed, it peaks at 16-17 then sustains 13-14 psi through all gears. I currently have it set a little too high which causes the dump valve to release anything it deems excessive (causes repeated "psst, psst, psst") in first and second then hits limp mode in the high gears as it is trying to sustain 17 PSI.

Anyhow, I'm going to put more time into this tomorrow. Tired. Sleep.

opiateESP
12-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Yup, it worked. Took 2.5 turns of the actuator and careful setting of the MBC. I found letting the ECU deal with a Forge Actuator was the better way to go as it would let you have 17-18 PSI peaks. It certainly feels like the car is pulling harder with the FWGA than with the MBC. I tried running the MBC and FWGA together and the ECU would go limp on those same 17-18 spikes.

shagghie
12-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Yup, it worked. Took 2.5 turns of the actuator and careful setting of the MBC. I found letting the ECU deal with a Forge Actuator was the better way to go as it would let you have 17-18 PSI peaks. It certainly feels like the car is pulling harder with the FWGA than with the MBC. I tried running the MBC and FWGA together and the ECU would go limp on those same 17-18 spikes.

I'm not sure why, but every time I read the above I get more confused. Do you mind verifying what you wrote just to rule out my insanity?

opiateESP
12-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Lol. No worries. What aspect are you confused about?

shagghie
12-01-2013, 02:34 PM
a) car is pulling harder with the FWGA than with the MBC.
b) I tried running the MBC and FWGA together and the ECU would go limp on those same 17-18 spikes.

a) makes me think that you opted for FWGA over the MBC (as in, either/or vice running them together).
b) solidifies a), and makes it such that running FWGA and MBC together doesn't work at all

but then before a) and b) you said: "I found letting the ECU deal with a Forge Actuator was the better way to go as it would let you have 17-18 PSI peaks.

So are you running the MBC and stock WGA? Or are you running just the Forge WGA? Or? So sorry... I'm sure it's me, I just can't determine where you ended up! :-)

opiateESP
12-01-2013, 03:17 PM
a) makes me think that you opted for FWGA over the MBC (as in, either/or vice running them together).
b) solidifies a), and makes it such that running FWGA and MBC together doesn't work at all

but then before a) and b) you said: "I found letting the ECU deal with a Forge Actuator was the better way to go as it would let you have 17-18 PSI peaks.

So are you running the MBC and stock WGA? Or are you running just the Forge WGA? Or? So sorry... I'm sure it's me, I just can't determine where you ended up! :-)

Gotcha. I am just running the Forge WGA now. The stock solenoid together with the FWGA allows for the higher boost spikes and approximately equal sustained boost.

The MBC was a great mod for the price though. I was just using a $20 cheapie NXS unit.