PDA

View Full Version : Abarth Passenger seat mod

shadyabarth
08-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Hey guys. I recently picked up my 2013 Abarth (less than 3 weeks ago) and absolutely HATE the seating position, especially the passenger side one. I feel that the seats are way too high and really do feel like I am sitting on the roof..Maybe I am a bit spoiled by my other cars (2010 M3, 2009 MDX ) but i NEED some adjustability in my life..I peeked under the passenger seat and know that the 2012 models with the BOSE system had the subwoofer located underneath but mine doesn't have it and there is literally over 5 inches of space there. I want to know your thoughts guys. I am seriously considering buying a spare passenger seat and cutting the bracket down and rewelding it or even locating a RHD seat(hoping it has the same adjuster setup as our US market LHD driver side seat).

Robert Nixon
08-23-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm sure anything like that would work. Maybe even finding a driver's seat (it adjusts higher/lower) and putting it in place of the passenger seat! That would be cool,

SLOWAbarth
08-26-2013, 12:00 PM
My buddy had his seats rebuilt, with different foam for $500 bucks. You sit about 2 inches lower... I haven't done it yet but I'm thinking about it...

OR You could have the seats installed on an aftermarket or custom seat bracket... just a thought! I would slam the seat down to the ground but the shifting position might be weird and the steering lever might be too high... I don't no

SailDesign
08-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Without meaning to be a dick (although I'm sure it comes across like that) did you not test drive one before buying...? Seriously?

Robert Nixon
08-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I haven't dissected an Abarth seat, but I've helped Miata guys perform an operation known as a foam-ectomy by using an electric carving knife and cutting foam out, so they can sit lower. If you already have a carving knife or something that cuts foam, the cost is free!

rx7mark
08-26-2013, 04:42 PM
I did the foam-ectomy to my Miata, and it worked great, allowing me to increase head room by 2 inches.

You basically very carefully take off all the twist ties, metal in the case of the Miata, holding the seat cover on. You don't have to save them as you will be replacing them with zip ties.

Then you remove the molded foam from the metal seat base, and cut 2 inches from the bottom of the foam, not the top. The idea is to not change the shape of the seat when you aren't sitting in it, but to allow you to sink deeper into the seats with your weight in it. You can go slow hear, take off a little at a time, and then do a test sitting, until you are happy.

Of course when you are happy with the position, you now have to put the cover back on, use zip ties.

It's a cheap way to get a few inches. Of course cutting and welding the seat supports will do the same thing.

Mark

nerdvana
08-27-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm sure anything like that would work. Maybe even finding a driver's seat (it adjusts higher/lower) and putting it in place of the passenger seat! That would be cool,

That is exactly what the OP proposed. RHD is "Right Hand Drive" and LHD is "Left Hand Drive", so he was thinking about taking the driver's seat from a RHD car (e.g. a UK model) and putting it on the passenger side of his US car.

Robert Nixon
08-27-2013, 11:10 AM
well ok, I know what RHD drive is, and since the OP already covered that, I was just trying to say "why bother with an imported seat from England at who knows how much money when it would likely be cheaper and easier to......just take a US driver seat and plop it in there. Other than the arm rest it might work".

shadyabarth
08-27-2013, 01:06 PM
My buddy had his seats rebuilt, with different foam for $500 bucks. You sit about 2 inches lower... I haven't done it yet but I'm thinking about it...

OR You could have the seats installed on an aftermarket or custom seat bracket... just a thought! I would slam the seat down to the ground but the shifting position might be weird and the steering lever might be too high... I don't no

Without meaning to be a dick (although I'm sure it comes across like that) did you not test drive one before buying...? Seriously?

I haven't dissected an Abarth seat, but I've helped Miata guys perform an operation known as a foam-ectomy by using an electric carving knife and cutting foam out, so they can sit lower. If you already have a carving knife or something that cuts foam, the cost is free!

well ok, I know what RHD drive is, and since the OP already covered that, I was just trying to say "why bother with an imported seat from England at who knows how much money when it would likely be cheaper and easier to......just take a US driver seat and plop it in there. Other than the arm rest it might work".

I am not all that concerned about the driver side seat as I am with the passenger side one..The driver side seat is beginning to grow on me but the passenger side one still gets a lot of complaints..I have looked into swapping out the seat frame/rails from a driver side one onto the passenger side but need to source a driver side abarth seat..Even if the seat is ripped/dirty or deployed(airbag) would be ok as i would be dissecting the hardware only..Keep an eye out for me..Im here in NYC

Fig
08-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I cant agree more my wife hates the passenger seat. I have also thought about looking for another Drivers seat.

13Abarth
10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Good news - 2014 Model year changes listed below (revised Passenger Seat with Armrest added too)
Exactly what I wanted in my 2013, now will have to identify parts to do this cheaply and make it work on ours.

Continuous improvements to style and functionality
For 2014, the Fiat 500 Abarth and Abarth Cabrio models feature new multi-spoke 16-inch aluminum wheels finished in Hyper Nero (black) and wrapped in 195/45 R16 Pirelli Cinturato all-season performance tires as standard equipment.

In addition, both Fiat 500 Abarth and Abarth Cabrio models include a revised passenger seat that sits 1 inch (25 mm) lower for increased headroom. For even more comfort and convenience, the passenger seat now includes an arm rest, along with seat position memory with the tilt/slide handle.

New colors for the Fiat 500 Abarth and Abarth Cabrio lineup include Granito Lucente (granite crystal) and Nero Puro (straight black).

lammie200
10-04-2013, 03:37 PM
...now will have to identify parts to do this cheaply and make it work on ours...

I could be wrong but I think that the part will include the seat bottom and costs over $500 USA. If you look on the Fiat of Wilmington website you can identify the part. Junk yards are selling seat bottoms for $150-$300.