PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 T engine fire

dekman
08-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Came home from work. Car off parked in front of my house. 10 min later noticed 5' flames coming out of the drivers side hood. Put out with a hose....then opened hood and found sparking over battery/contol module/harness. Police stopped by when he saw the smoke and used his extinguisher to kill the electrical fire.

So "an engineer" from Chrysler/Fiat came out and took pics. He sent them to the "head engineers" for review. Here is the letter I received today.....

So from pics of molten plastic/wiring they made their evaluation! I offered my car to them so it could be studied....they didn't want it.

I'm concerned for other owners and thought this electrical fire should be looked into but... So carry a fire extinguisher in your car just in case.........

chrisnov500
08-23-2013, 06:01 PM
im sorry for your lose and thank god that everyone is not injured or anything.

I was looking at your pix and I cannot ready anything FIAT sent you becuase its too small.
do you mind re upload the letter or type them in here?

im curious to see what they have to say..

Spool500
08-23-2013, 06:08 PM
holy crap, i'm sorry bout the car man, But glad there was no injury. if you get down to a root cause, def keep us updated.

ABARTH TAMER
08-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Cant read the letter, What did FIAT say?

Andree
08-23-2013, 08:16 PM
This is about the best I can do on the letter:

Thank you for contacting Chrysler Group LLC and leaving concerns that you have with the above referenced vehicle.

Chrysler Group LLC conducted an investigation into the incident and inspected the vehicle. The inspector found an indication of a manufacturing defect that caused or contributed to the incident on (date)

Thank you again for (?) your (?) with Chrysler Group LLC

Andree
08-23-2013, 08:18 PM
So, who covers the vehicle, and is it totaled or can they fix it up?

Felnus
08-23-2013, 08:20 PM
This is about the best I can do on the letter:

Thank you for contacting Chrysler Group LLC and leaving concerns that you have with the above referenced vehicle.

Chrysler Group LLC conducted an investigation into the incident and inspected the vehicle. The inspector found an indication of a manufacturing defect that caused or contributed to the incident on (date)

Thank you again for (?) your (?) with Chrysler Group LLC

Actually, I think that's "found NO indication of a manufacturing defect.."

msjulie33
08-23-2013, 08:44 PM

So then somehow nothing was wrong and it caught fire? Glad no one was hurt but that's pretty bad..

trevc
08-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I hate seeing pictures like that. I am glad nobody was hurt. Hopefully you had insurance and have a replacement vehicle.
How long ago was the fire? Can you post a larger copy of the letter so we can read it? Thanks!

Andree
08-23-2013, 09:26 PM

Yikes! A very powerful exchange of letters, there.

If it is correct, then the next question is "were there any aftermarket parts on the vehicle?" Or is the vehicle completely stock?

Andree
08-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Say, that vehicle has the 'cooling fan' than runs on after the engine is stopped, for the turbo engine, yes?

lenswerks
08-23-2013, 09:47 PM
If you do a Google search on "500 electrical fire" you'll see there have been others in the US.

Felnus
08-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Sure. Google just about any make and model of vehicle and the word "fire" and see what pops up. My God- gasoline, plastic, and electricity is unbelievably dangerous stuff! We better go back to horses. Oh wait...I just googled "horse fire". Turns out they are flammable too...

lenswerks
08-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Sure. Google just about any make and model of vehicle and the word "fire" and see what pops up. My God- gasoline, plastic, and electricity is unbelievably dangerous stuff! We better go back to horses. Oh wait...I just googled "horse fire". Turns out they are flammable too...

What's your point other than being a jerk?

Felnus
08-23-2013, 11:09 PM
That cars catch fire on occasion? You could throw in that cars are occasionally set on fire for various reasons too.

sfhpawel
08-23-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm sorry for you loss.

I apologize if I am wrong. But your story does not add up.

lammie200
08-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Didn't we see this in another recent post?

OC_Dave
08-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Sorry about your loss. I too own a Turbo and I'm very curious what caused the fire, especially since when I'm not driving it, she's parked in my garage next to my truck. Guess I'll be waiting in the garage for several minutes after driving/parking her from now on before going in my home.