PDA

View Full Version : Grigio Paint Matching

redred
08-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Has anyone here had to paint their Grigio car? Just curious if anyone's had any issues with paint matching?

shadyabarth
08-23-2013, 01:46 PM
No experience with any paintwork on a Grigio but I can tell you that almost every Grigio Abarth that I have seen has a slight color variation from the front bumper compared to the rest of the body..

redred
08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
No experience with any paintwork on a Grigio but I can tell you that almost every Grigio Abarth that I have seen has a slight color variation from the front bumper compared to the rest of the body..

Yup. Mine has that too

ABARTH TAMER
08-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Hope you don't need it. Silvers and greys are tough to match. Have used online sites for previous cars, sometimes it takes a couple of trys for a close match.

jguerdat
08-23-2013, 03:43 PM
A good shop will be able to match very closely, if not exactly. My S2000 was Spa Yellow, a pearl, 3-part paint (color, pearl and clear coat). When a young girl pulled across the road in front of me and I needed 18" more to avoid the collision, the shop screwed the pooch on the first attempt - very green. The subsequent re-paint was a very good match. Could have been the first painter or just a bad day. In any event, color match problems should be a non-problem with a good shop.

chrisnov500
08-23-2013, 06:14 PM
White is very hard color to match as well.
i think the factory white is already off so much.

I read it somewhere that when white paint looks blue-ish, that means that factory did not put much paint on them.
and we all know that our paint is not the best, thin as whatever.

my hood is very blue-ish yet my bumper is white. (plastic vs metal also acts deferent as well)

cerruto
08-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I had some work done. There are two different shades for the grigio. Mine as it turned out was the darker of the two, strangely . Paint match is flawless, but I paid out the nose since the car was 3 weeks old at the time and I wanted it "back to showroom".

mneuman916
08-23-2013, 06:45 PM
I had some work done. There are two different shades for the grigio. Mine as it turned out was the darker of the two, strangely. Paint match is flawless, but I paid out the nose since the car was 3 weeks old at the time and I wanted it "back to showroom".

As in different paint codes??? I swear my Abarth is darker than my old Sport!

08-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Ive done a few stone chips on mine with good success but nothing significant in size

cerruto
08-23-2013, 08:40 PM

That's what I understand. There is far too little data in the body world esp. on this side of the pond for fiats.

mneuman916
08-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Maybe its different wherever you are. A paint code should be a paint code!

Tweak
08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Got my heat-shield painted and it looks nearly identical, the variations seem to be with the type of material being painted. Metal/plastics have different colors it seems when viewed under varying light. The paint code is on the door (just don't recall it at the moment), the color is listed as Grey Metallic.

chrisnov500
08-24-2013, 01:03 AM

I think you washed too many times with your old sport..
or your new abarth played too much time out in the sun...

LOL!!!

GetsThruBuckner
08-25-2013, 07:10 PM
I had a dent in my door repaired. After the second attempt at painting, I was satisfied with the match. If you like I would gladly call the body shop and ask them where they got the paint.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_asL6Rz_VNc/UbzGoe34GgI/AAAAAAAABVU/qXBuB7N-ypo/w1035-h685-no/Photoshoot+%25284%2529.JPG

The dent was in the center of the door.

Fiat500USA
08-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I had a dent in my door repaired. After the second attempt at painting, I was satisfied with the match. If you like I would gladly call the body shop and ask them where they got the paint.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_asL6Rz_VNc/UbzGoe34GgI/AAAAAAAABVU/qXBuB7N-ypo/w1035-h685-no/Photoshoot+%25284%2529.JPG

Looks great! Glad that finally worked out for you.

mneuman916
08-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Looks great to me! I'm glad it matched for you - clearly you picked the fastest color! bigok

Fiat500USA
08-25-2013, 09:21 PM
I walked by a new Kia Optima in grey the other night and the rear bumper and quarter panel had the same mismatch as the Abarth. If it is good enough for Kia, I'm fine with it on the Abarth! gr_grin

mneuman916
08-25-2013, 09:30 PM
I walked by a new Kia Optima in grey the other night and the rear bumper and quarter panel had the same mismatch as the Abarth. If it is good enough for Kia, I'm fine with it on the Abarth! gr_grin

Kia??? You're not helping. LOL!

Fiat500USA
08-25-2013, 10:01 PM

Isn't Kia the benchmark for greatness nowadays? :clap:

Hey I just saw your signature. I have an '87 X1/9 and had a 1970 850 Sedan!

GetsThruBuckner
08-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Looks great! Glad that finally worked out for you.

It wasn't without forceful convincing. Force is how I get things done! Still, Fiat of Larchmont (NY) owes me an apology before I consider returning.

Tweak
08-25-2013, 10:36 PM

Agreed! :D

GetsThruBuckner
08-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Isn't Kia the benchmark for greatness nowadays? :clap::sorrow:

Sirpopealot
10-28-2013, 06:03 PM

My 500 Sport has the same issue. Front bumper is a lighter shade of Grigio than the rest of the body. It's actually annoying ever since I noticed it.

Tweak
10-28-2013, 06:24 PM
My 500 Sport has the same issue. Front bumper is a lighter shade of Grigio than the rest of the body. It's actually annoying ever since I noticed it.

Welcome to the forum.

Metal and plastic, color matches are an issue at times and has been commonly mentioned at times.

Oh, Word?
10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Maybe I can clear this up a bit as I'm a painter/body man. The reason for bumpers being different shades is they're painted separately from the car, often in a different facility. Dark grey/silver is notorious for showing how two batches of the same paint code can be two different colors and also even a drop in air pressure or the amount of material being sprayed can affect how the color looks. IMO being plastic has nothing to do with why the color looks different if that were the case the gas door would be off too. Car companies like everyone else want to save money so they buy gallons on gallons of paint from one company until someone else comes along and gives them a better deal then they switch, so there will be very minor differences between cars hence why someday are will be darker/lighter or in this color the best way to describe it is more or less blue, more or less violet. They all have the same paint code and most paint manufacturers do no very good job checking an insane amount of cars and capturing all of the variances between that one certain color. One of the best examples are the late 90s beige camry there's gotta be 20-30 difference variances for that one paint code.

Any good body shop should be able to match the color with no issue, 90% of the time it's an application error rather than a color issue. Being that this is metallic any variation in how the metallic lays down and the color looks off, too much material on and the color looks cloudy, not enough and it looks like a disco ball. Also blending into adjecent panels is a MUST. If you need a new fender the body shop should also be blending into the hood and the door so everything looks even if you only sprayed a fender and put it on even with a 100% dead on color match you'll notice a difference strictly based off of how the new colors metallic laid down verses factory. In the case of the dent in the middle of the door they simple blended out to each corner and all is well.

Hopefully this clears some stuff up, any questions feel free to ask as I feel like most of the general public doesn't really have a firm grasp on how this sort of repair works....nothing personal to you guys but it's insane how many people think its as simple as call the car company order paint it's comes in perfect and all is well.

Tweak
10-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I was relaying info from a few auto-body guys (some with around 20+ yrs), I'm sure there is more to it and appreciate the better reply.

I just know they had stated that variances between the metal and plastic portions are not uncommon, I think more in the past than these days when flex agents I assume somehow affected colors/shades. I do know gray/silver vary a great deal between batches and especially manufacturers. It was not my intent to relay improper info obviously.

Oh, Word?
10-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Back in the day it was an issue but these days it's mostly just because of different batches and parts being painted separately. The darker metallics just show a lot more, my s2k was silver stone and it had been repaired poorly and you could see different shades here and there. I've owned 4 silver or gray cars so I needed a change and got white. Now I just have to wash it every 10 minutes haha.

Tweak
10-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Back in the day it was an issue but these days it's mostly just because of different batches and parts being painted separately. The darker metallics just show a lot more, my s2k was silver stone and it had been repaired poorly and you could see different shades here and there. I've owned 4 silver or gray cars so I needed a change and got white. Now I just have to wash it every 10 minutes haha.

I live on a dirt road so black and white were not an option! Paint has def improved over the years! Just wish it wasn't so easy to damage the paint on the 500s. :(

Abarthsc
03-19-2014, 03:04 PM
I can echo Oh words reply.
Worked in a car factory many moons ago and all the plastics are painted separate from the car and we switched paint suppliers frequently. Heck sometimes even new cars are repaired at the factory on a separate line. Slight variations are inevitable

Rowtarded
03-19-2014, 04:12 PM
I had my Lester air deflector paint matched. Code PAJ. The body shop I went to said there was no variations for that paint code and that it was pretty easy to match.

redred
03-19-2014, 04:14 PM
I had my Lester air deflector paint matched. Code PAJ. The body shop I went to said there was no variations for that paint code and that it was pretty easy to match.

Would love to see pics of that!

Sirpopealot
06-05-2014, 02:03 AM
I traded my Griggio Sport for a Rosso Abarth. Problem solved!