PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Warning Light/Failure Message

Randall Johnson
08-23-2013, 10:45 AM
I've recently purchased a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport and at the time at 15 miles on it. It now has 1350 miles and is back at the dealer for the 4th time due to the airbag warning light/failure message appearing. The first repair was just a reset of the stored soft code. Second repair was the replacement of the side curtain airbag on the drivers side. Third repair was the ECU Control Module. Now they are trying to figure out what the problem is. As you can imagine I'm a bit frustrated. I've been in contact with Fiat USA and waiting to hear if they will decide to replace the vehicle. Has anyone else had this issue. When the light/message appears, it stays on for about 20 seconds and then goes off. On a few occasions, it would come on two or three times.

trevc
08-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Frustrating. Sounds like a wiring fault; intermittent connection.

Karen M
09-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi Randall. I'm here after googling same issue. I have the same car and had an airbag replaced last year. The code was read, repair made, and code erased. Nothing else has been done since, though I've brought it back to service a few more times when the light comes on. It goes off after 20 seconds or so. This weekend, the service engine and check oil light also came on briefly while I was driving and went off. Took it to the dealer and they can find no codes indicating that this has happened. I'm frustrated too and feel like I can't trust my car anymore. Have you had any more problems or success in diagnosis?

I've recently purchased a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport and at the time at 15 miles on it. It now has 1350 miles and is back at the dealer for the 4th time due to the airbag warning light/failure message appearing. The first repair was just a reset of the stored soft code. Second repair was the replacement of the side curtain airbag on the drivers side. Third repair was the ECU Control Module. Now they are trying to figure out what the problem is. As you can imagine I'm a bit frustrated. I've been in contact with Fiat USA and waiting to hear if they will decide to replace the vehicle. Has anyone else had this issue. When the light/message appears, it stays on for about 20 seconds and then goes off. On a few occasions, it would come on two or three times.

Randall Johnson
09-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear you've been having the same issue. The dealer finally was able to correct the problem on the last try. It did take them 2 weeks for complete the repair. They had to replace the entire wiring harness. I have not had the issue since then. Because this happened shortly after I purchased the car and was pretty close to returning the vehicle under the lemon law, Fiat/Chrysler offered me 2 months of car payments. I love my car now. I hope that you can get your issue resolved.

Randall

Hi Randall. I'm here after googling same issue. I have the same car and had an airbag replaced last year. The code was read, repair made, and code erased. Nothing else has been done since, though I've brought it back to service a few more times when the light comes on. It goes off after 20 seconds or so. This weekend, the service engine and check oil light also came on briefly while I was driving and went off. Took it to the dealer and they can find no codes indicating that this has happened. I'm frustrated too and feel like I can't trust my car anymore. Have you had any more problems or success in diagnosis?