PDA

View Full Version : Beats... not so great. Replace tweeters and front speakers

ABARTH TAMER
08-22-2013, 05:07 PM
I want to replace the front speakers with Polk Audio 6.5's. Also new tweeters Crutchfield could not tell me the size. Fiat says 1", anyone been in there, would like to replace with Polk's 1".

ScorpionSkins.com
08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
The speakers and tweeters are Alpine speakers, which arguably aren't the worst of what's out there. I'm more concerned with replacing the subwoofer (which is likely a paper cone similar to the one in the 500L) but I still haven't found someone who has successfully completed and documented the removal of the subwoofer enclosure from the trunk. (Anyone out there? :()

It would be nice for an audio expert to thoroughly document what "plug and play" options we have available should we like to remove and replace select components of the system (such as tweeters, as you mentioned). Size, mounting depth, impedance, rated output, etc. will be important info to get things rolling. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...

SLOWAbarth
08-23-2013, 08:48 AM
The speakers and tweeters are Alpine speakers, which arguably aren't the worst of what's out there. I'm more concerned with replacing the subwoofer (which is likely a paper cone similar to the one in the 500L) but I still haven't found someone who has successfully completed and documented the removal of the subwoofer enclosure from the trunk. (Anyone out there? :()

It would be nice for an audio expert to thoroughly document what "plug and play" options we have available should we like to remove and replace select components of the system (such as tweeters, as you mentioned). Size, mounting depth, impedance, rated output, etc. will be important info to get things rolling. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...

Hey guys, I did the subwoofer swap and documented it. I can help...

I installed a JL W3 8 inch...

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/669FC2A5-5AC7-463E-B25F-E9BBE0D19948-2937-0000029D17E71488_zps33c5fc58.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/669FC2A5-5AC7-463E-B25F-E9BBE0D19948-2937-0000029D17E71488_zps33c5fc58.jpg.html)

PM me and we will chat on the phone!

mneuman916
08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Hey guys, I did the subwoofer swap and documented it. I can help...

I installed a JL W3 8 inch...

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/669FC2A5-5AC7-463E-B25F-E9BBE0D19948-2937-0000029D17E71488_zps33c5fc58.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/669FC2A5-5AC7-463E-B25F-E9BBE0D19948-2937-0000029D17E71488_zps33c5fc58.jpg.html)

PM me and we will chat on the phone!

I'm curious what difference this made!

shagghie
08-26-2013, 06:15 PM
I was going to go with this one instead...but I think it's too deep (no pun intended). Did you happen to measure the max cylindrical depth clearance for the beats enclosure?

http://www.amazon.com/JL-AUDIO-8W7-SUBWOOFER-8W7-3/dp/B0001HYEJA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377555257&sr=1-1&keywords=JL+Audio+8W7+8+inch

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cI7Q9YlcL._SL1023_.jpg

SLOWAbarth
08-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm curious what difference this made!

I installed a bass knob on the left hand side of the bottom part of the driver seat. It's about 5X louder, it's almost too much bass for the speakers.

I was going to go with this one instead...but I think it's too deep (no pun intended). Did you happen to measure the max cylindrical depth clearance for the beats enclosure?

http://www.amazon.com/JL-AUDIO-8W7-SUBWOOFER-8W7-3/dp/B0001HYEJA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377555257&sr=1-1&keywords=JL+Audio+8W7+8+inch

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cI7Q9YlcL._SL1023_.jpg

HA... NOPE, this will not fit with out a 3 inch ring or something dumb like that. The box doesn't have enough airspace for this sub either. I had to make a .5 inch ring in order to fit the JL Audio 8 W3 and I had to cut some part of the box. I will do a full write up soon, I have all of the photos as well...

Ryephile
08-28-2013, 04:17 PM
I replaced the stock Alpine speaker with a Component set of Polk MM6501's [along with everything else] and I just wanted to say I regret the Polks. I'll be pulling them out and putting in a set of JBL P660C's most likely, as I had those in my last car and they sound markedly better for much less money.

The Polk's are much better than stock, but not as good as the JBL's in resolution and tonal quality. No amount of EQ'ing has been able to fix the resolution the Polk's lack. The only time I'm not annoyed with the Polk's is windows up, under 40 MPH, and at a certain volume level [a couple watts, more or less power and they rapidly lose resolution].

ABARTH TAMER
08-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I replaced the stock Alpine speaker with a Component set of Polk MM6501's [along with everything else] and I just wanted to say I regret the Polks. I'll be pulling them out and putting in a set of JBL P660C's most likely, as I had those in my last car and they sound markedly better for much less money.

The Polk's are much better than stock, but not as good as the JBL's in resolution and tonal quality. No amount of EQ'ing has been able to fix the resolution the Polk's lack. The only time I'm not annoyed with the Polk's is windows up, under 40 MPH, and at a certain volume level [a couple watts, more or less power and they rapidly lose resolution].

Thanks for the feedback. My Polk's are arriving today, I'm going to put the tweeters in first, I'll give you my review, really liked them before in my Porsche.

Ryephile
08-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Give them tons of time to break-in! Also try reversing the polarity of the tweeter before you hide the crossovers, just to rule out that I did something dumb.

SLOWAbarth
08-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Are you guys using 4 channel amps or amplifying the speakers ?

ReconTopher
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Yeah the Polks have a good efficiency rating, but still need a lot of power to run them.

Ryephile
08-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Are you guys using 4 channel amps or amplifying the speakers ?

Yes, I'm using an Alpine 5-channel amp. fronts, rears, and one subwoofer channel. IMO the Polk's sound best at a certain volume, and too much power is not a good thing as the tweeter gets harsh.

ReconTopher
08-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Ryephile, do you mean too much volume? I'm assuming a 5 channel Alpine isn't putting out 125 watts rms.

ABARTH TAMER
08-29-2013, 08:11 AM
For now the stock amp.

ABARTH TAMER
08-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Give them tons of time to break-in! Also try reversing the polarity of the tweeter before you hide the crossovers, just to rule out that I did something dumb.
Not sure about polarity, tried both ways. I am not an audio expert, but Helen Keller could have noticed the difference!

They are smaller than 1". Just replaced with Polk audio 1"Tweeters in the A pillar. They are larger than the mounting bracket I stuffed them in there.

THIS TRANSFORMED THE SYSTEM, THIS CHANGE ALONE!

Even the lows sound better, high volume, low volume, Classical, Rock, Jazz, Country all 200% better.

Dr Dre Beats should be ashamed of himself lending his name to this stock system. (I don't think he is a real doctor)
I will install the 6.5's in the front doors when I return from vacation, but happy with this $58 upgrade alone.

ReconTopher
08-29-2013, 04:09 PM
The whole Beats line is crap. The $100 in ear headphones sound identical to a $20 skully candy. The $200 and $300 on ear/over ear cans are demolished by $100 Jvc/Sony/Grado/ etc. It's pure marketing, make them in fun colors, give free to celebrities at events and pay celebs in ads and the masses will want them. The only good thing about Beats is that they are a gateway product that gets the consumer into the audiophile market looking for an upgrade.

redred
08-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Dr Dre Beats should be ashamed of himself lending his name to this stock system.

Sad truth about Beats Audio. Its run by Andre "Dr. Dre" Young and Jimmy Iovine (chairman of Interscope-Geffen-A&M Records). Here's the whole gimmick. They are made by Monster Cable. The worlds largest audio marketing firm that makes the worlds WORST crap and expensive audio products. It's really sad that these two music industry moguls would whore themselves out to Monster Cable just to make a buck. Nothing they make is even close to "audiophile" grade and is severely overpriced. I wouldn't pay $20 for their over-ear headphones. Pure garbage.

From someone who worked in the music industry for over 15 years (with some of the best and worst) I am ashamed of them both. At least Elliot Scheiner put his name on a system for Acura (the ELS 5.1 DVD Audio System) that is half way decent (Elliot Scheiner is a grammy winning producer/engineer for Foo Fighters, Beck, Faith Hill, Steely Dan, Band of Horses, Ricky Martin, Sting, Bruce Hornsby, Paul Simon, B.B. King, Chaka Khan, Van Morrison, Donald Fagen, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, Eagles, Aerosmith and Joe Jackson)

modular
12-25-2013, 05:14 PM
My main concerns are the tweets and sub. Are there any plug-n-play replacements that fit in the pillars and Beats sub enclosure that will sound better using the OEM amp/wiring?

ABARTH TAMER
12-25-2013, 08:11 PM
My main concerns are the tweets and sub. Are there any plug-n-play replacements that fit in the pillars and Beats sub enclosure that will sound better using the OEM amp/wiring?

I think you mentioned that system is better after break in on the speakers. Agree.

I replaced tweeters with Polk audio. Not an exact fit but 100% better. Try this, I'm happy with the system for now.

tknospdr
12-25-2013, 08:44 PM
My T has the Beats (only one on the lot the day I was ready to purchase). I actually like the system pretty well...
After I learned that I had to set up my sound prefs for each different input separately I was much more pleased. I mean I set up bass, treble, fade, etc. on my FM and then didn't figure out for a few weeks that my iPod music sounded like crap because I had to set all that stuff up again.

Disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile by any means.

Abarth Phreak
12-25-2013, 09:19 PM
My T has the Beats (only one on the lot the day I was ready to purchase). I actually like the system pretty well...
After I learned that I had to set up my sound prefs for each different input separately I was much more pleased. I mean I set up bass, treble, fade, etc. on my FM and then didn't figure out for a few weeks that my iPod music sounded like crap because I had to set all that stuff up again.

Disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile by any means.

Its not a BAD stock set-up, but its not a name to rush out and buy. Like you, many of us bought the car with it already installed. Had it been a removable option, I would have said give it to me free or keep it and Ill put my own in. It plays music and merely decent at best, but you can definitely do much better with just about anything. I prefer Focal brand speakers. The JL Audio 8W3 sub seemed like a good choice. I wonder what the feedback is now on it. I have experience with the W7 line, but that is WAY OVERKILL for this little car stock box without major mods and amp upgrades.

ReconTopher
12-25-2013, 09:38 PM
I think you mentioned that system is better after break in on the speakers. Agree.

I replaced tweeters with Polk audio. Not an exact fit but 100% better. Try this, I'm happy with the system for now.

I agree on this too, almost night & day, almost. I only have the basic system, but was so unhappy with the speakers for a few months. I just noticed a few weeks ago that it sounds a lot better. I'm not itchin' to pop off the door panels and replace them just yet.

Happy Holidays everyone!