PDA

View Full Version : Cabin smells like gasoline

FLAbarth25
08-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone, I went to fill up 3 days ago and when I was pumping gas the auto shut off on the pump didn't work and I overflowed the gas tank. Since then every time I get in the car it has a strong smell of fuel in it. I thought it would disappear after a couple of days, but is hasn't. Does anybody know why or how to remove the smell. Its seems like it has not dissipated yet. Any help is appreciated.

Corrnaus
08-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Did it get on your hands and/or feet? Could be in the carpet, seats or on your steering wheel. If you have a steam cleaner, that is great for getting smells out. Get some carpet cleaner and clean the carpets and seats and give the instrument panel a good clean also.

shagghie
08-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone, I went to fill up 3 days ago and when I was pumping gas the auto shut off on the pump didn't work and I overflowed the gas tank. Since then every time I get in the car it has a strong smell of fuel in it. I thought it would disappear after a couple of days, but is hasn't. Does anybody know why or how to remove the smell. Its seems like it has not dissipated yet. Any help is appreciated.

One way NOT to do it is to light a match or use electronics in the cabin when/if ever you smell gas... Be careful even with your phone charger.
Are you sure the smell isn't coming from another source... e.g. the engine bay or from under the car on any of the gas lines. The over-fill could have been a coincidental event.
Only other thought that comes to mind is maybe you got some on your shoes when you overfilled, and then it's still in the driver's side floor mat. Carpet shampoo, or just removing the mat might be the ticket if so.

FLAbarth25
08-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Did it get on your hands and/or feet? Could be in the carpet, seats or on your steering wheel. If you have a steam cleaner, that is great for getting smells out. Get some carpet cleaner and clean the carpets and seats and give the instrument panel a good clean also.

Im pretty sure I didn't, but anything is possible. Cleaning the carpet would be a good place to start. thanks for the idea!

FLAbarth25
08-22-2013, 03:21 PM
One way NOT to do it is to light a match or use electronics in the cabin when/if ever you smell gas... Be careful even with your phone charger.
Are you sure the smell isn't coming from another source... e.g. the engine bay or from under the car on any of the gas lines. The over-fill could have been a coincidental event.
Only other thought that comes to mind is maybe you got some on your shoes when you overfilled, and then it's still in the driver's side floor mat. Carpet shampoo, or just removing the mat might be the ticket if so.

lol Ill make sure not to light a match. I didn't think about the danger of using a phone charger. thanks for bringing that up. Im not going to use mine until I figure this out.