PDA

View Full Version : Trunk not opening

purl1
08-21-2013, 12:14 PM
I just got my car back yesterday after having it in the shop for a week getting the rear main seal fixed :distress: . now I cant open the trunk . it will not unlock with the key fob. the key unlocks everything eles but not the trunk. I have had more issue (yes this is minor I know but heck I need my trunk) with this car since ive purchased it 3 months ago. Is this something I can fix or does it have to go back to the shop? is there a way to open the trunk from the inside , besides inside the trunk. I noticed inthe trunk there is the paper the shop puts down so it does not get oil on the carpet, why would they have been in the trunk?

trevc
08-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Sit in the car and close all the doors. Lock the doors using the drivers side door handle and then unlock using the drivers side handle.
If that does not work it is back to the dealer unfortunately unless you feel like trying to get in there from the inside to see if something is stuck in the lock mechanism.

purl1
08-21-2013, 03:15 PM
can I change the battery in the key or is that something that they have to do? i notice also that It wont lock unless im really close to it. Maybe its a battery problem in the key.

FiatCares
08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I just got my car back yesterday after having it in the shop for a week getting the rear main seal fixed :distress: . now I cant open the trunk . it will not unlock with the key fob. the key unlocks everything eles but not the trunk. I have had more issue (yes this is minor I know but heck I need my trunk) with this car since ive purchased it 3 months ago. Is this something I can fix or does it have to go back to the shop? is there a way to open the trunk from the inside , besides inside the trunk. I noticed inthe trunk there is the paper the shop puts down so it does not get oil on the carpet, why would they have been in the trunk?

I agree with TrevC, if that doesnt work, the fob may need to be reprogrammed. I also recommend calling the studio and telling them that the FOB unlocks the doors (but not the truck) and see if they know of an easy fix.. may save you a trip to the studio.

FiatCares
08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
can I change the battery in the key or is that something that they have to do? i notice also that It wont lock unless im really close to it. Maybe its a battery problem in the key.

it very well may be the battery...

purl1
08-21-2013, 03:42 PM
I called them , im going back Monday he wanted me to come back sooner but I just dont have the time this week. I read the manual on replacing the battery and it gives a number for a battery Cr2032 but is that a watch battery? or something that needs to be purchased at Auto zone or someplace. maybe I should just wait for them to look at it.
They where more than nice to me. Ive had nothing but greatcustomer service there. Like I said as far as problems go this is very minor. just stinks I havent even had the car 3 months yet. are key issues covered under warrenty?

trevc
08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
You should be able to get a CR2032 at any drugstore or supermarket. It is a fairly common battery (thin, circular about the size of a nickel).
If two clicks of the fob unlocks the passenger door then it is very unlikely to be the fob.

FiatCares
08-21-2013, 04:25 PM
I called them , im going back Monday he wanted me to come back sooner but I just dont have the time this week. I read the manual on replacing the battery and it gives a number for a battery Cr2032 but is that a watch battery? or something that needs to be purchased at Auto zone or someplace. maybe I should just wait for them to look at it.
They where more than nice to me. Ive had nothing but greatcustomer service there. Like I said as far as problems go this is very minor. just stinks I havent even had the car 3 months yet. are key issues covered under warrenty?

Agreed, if the fob unlooks the doors, then the fob is probably OKAY. But if its not, the FOB is warranted for 4/50

purl1
08-21-2013, 04:51 PM
great I will see if I can get a new battery and see if thats what it is. why would they have been in the trunk to fix a engine oil leak?

when I hit the trunk key the lights flash but wont let me in. maybe they hit a wire or something.

purl1
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Fixed it. I was reading another thread here and someone posted this

To reset the trunk lock & convertible top:
Start with the top fully closed ... using the manual button (above the windshield) Hold the OPEN button till the top is fully open and continue to hold for at least 3 more seconds ... Release the OPEN button ... Hold the CLOSE button till the top is fully closed ... Continue to hold the CLOSE button until the top begins to fully cycle open then release the CLOSE button ... the top will fully cycle open and close at the 1/4 open setting ... This will confirm the relearn procedure was successful ... Auto OPEN/CLOSE and liftgate operation will now be functional ... Important do not interrupt the procedure ... hope this helps ... Dave

And it totally worked trunk opened and closed. I locked it and it opened and closed. Thanks Dave

trevc
08-21-2013, 09:12 PM
I didn't realize you had a 500c. Glad you found the solution!

luckymoi
08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Don't think you ever mentioned it was a cabrio!

purl1
08-24-2013, 06:25 AM
I didnt, sorry. I really didnt think the convertible top would have anything to do with the trunk opening and closing. now I do. funny the top was also acting weird that day too, I had to hold the button the whole time to open and close it.
so much to learn.

Everyone is so helpful thanks :)

Agent P
08-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Sit in the car and close all the doors. Lock the doors using the drivers side door handle and then unlock using the drivers side handle.

All this time I was wondering if there was another way to open the trunk other than the key fob. I just tried your suggestion and works! Thanks!

mkh4
04-15-2014, 03:48 PM
I am having this issue as well.... along with a LONG list of other piddly things that will stop me from EVER buying another FIAT! The Dealer told me to sit in the car and manually hold the open button for the soft top until it was completely open, then to manually hold the close button until it was closed, to repeat this action..... if that didn't work (It did not, of course) that it was an electrical problem and that it MAY not be covered by my 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. These cars are NOT worth the trouble. So annoyed right now... but I am going to try the door lock trick with the button 2x trick and hope for the best. I have had NOTHING but small, irritating issues since I bought this stupid car 2 years ago. I only have 5190 miles on it, and so many things have gone wrong - and the dealership - Helfman in Houston is the absolute worst!!!!!

purl1
04-18-2014, 09:08 PM
I am having this issue as well.... along with a LONG list of other piddly things that will stop me from EVER buying another FIAT! The Dealer told me to sit in the car and manually hold the open button for the soft top until it was completely open, then to manually hold the close button until it was closed, to repeat this action..... if that didn't work (It did not, of course) that it was an electrical problem and that it MAY not be covered by my 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. These cars are NOT worth the trouble. So annoyed right now... but I am going to try the door lock trick with the button 2x trick and hope for the best. I have had NOTHING but small, irritating issues since I bought this stupid car 2 years ago. I only have 5190 miles on it, and so many things have gone wrong - and the dealership - Helfman in Houston is the absolute worst!!!!!

I feel your pain. I've had my car less than a year. It's been in the shop 6 times. Once for something major , 4 times for the same thing. There are more problems but honestly I'm done with the run around, I'm so sick of hearing " it's a new car there will be problems"
i hate driving my car down the street and it sounding like the body will fall apart at the seams. The windows rattle, the front end sounds like it is full of rocks, when I turn the corner I constantly hear a loud thump, my sound system sounds horrible. The trunk seal has come off my trunk the lights on the console don't work on the left side. I could go on , I could call the studio but I just can't hear " this is a new car they have to work out the bugs" if that is the case why did I pay so much for my car.