PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the red stitching on stock shift knob?

GetsThruBuckner
08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
For those who have kept the stock knob. How have you cleaned the stitching. I try to wash my hands thoroughly everyday before I leave work, but somehow over the last year plus I have ended up with some areas of dirty stitching. I thought of using an upholstery cleaner with those soft plastic bristles attached to the can, but I figured someone out there might know a better way. Thanks!

lillo24
08-21-2013, 03:22 AM
For those who have kept the stock knob. How have you cleaned the stitching. I try to wash my hands thoroughly everyday before I leave work, but somehow over the last year plus I have ended up with some areas of dirty stitching. I thought of using an upholstery cleaner with those soft plastic bristles attached to the can, but I figured someone out there might know a better way. Thanks!

use oxyclean and then rinse well!

cmj912
08-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Good old-fashioned hot white vinegar on a cloth. Strong, non-toxic, and won't damage the fibers.

GetsThruBuckner
08-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Good old-fashioned hot white vinegar on a cloth. Strong, non-toxic, and won't damage the fibers.

Does this work well? Does it leave a lingering smell?

cmj912
08-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Does this work well? Does it leave a lingering smell?

No and yes. Obviously it smells like vinegar while it is wet, but one of the reasons vinegar is such an effective cleaner is that when it dries it takes the smell of whatever else was on there with it. Dog, sweat, food, smoke, vinegar is pretty good for all of that. Heloise's household hints says that white vinegar is one of the few natural nontoxic products that actually works better than many commercial cleaners. One of the touted benefits is: it brings out the color of carpets and upholstery if used properly...which makes sense because if you dump it in the laundry it does brighten and soften clothes.

GetsThruBuckner
08-28-2013, 08:31 PM
So heat up some white vinegar, apply it to a rag, and dab the stitching? Is that right? I'm going to try it this weekend.

cmj912
08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
So heat up some white vinegar, apply it to a rag, and dab the stitching? Is that right? I'm going to try it this weekend.

Yup! Nothing crazy. Use the softest rag you have available. That's it. :)

Keep in mind that I do not endorse nor am supported by any maker of white vinegar or the white vinegar industry.

And dab, don't rub. If you find that it is not coming clean, let it soak in a bit, then come back and hit it again and rub lightly.

SouthBend500
04-04-2014, 09:37 AM
cmj912... recommend it on the white stitch on the leather seats as well? Mine are looking pretty bad.

Doohickie
04-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Heloise's household hints says that

Ummmm, I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your Man Card.

tknospdr
04-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Do you know for a fact that cmj912 is indeed a man? There are women on this board too. :)