PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the flimsy seat adjustment handles with polished cast aluminum?

Abarth619
08-20-2013, 07:37 PM
That's what I'm thinking about doing, its not definite though as my schedule has been hectic lately. I'm going for polished or painted cast aluminum as its within my skill level and I have access to the equipment. Would there be a market for this, would anyone else be interested if I made a few sets? I think I'd be cool to have substantial feeling handles and replacing those cheap feeling plastic ones. In fact, the seat adjustment handles are my least favorite part of the car and its something I was hoping to replace on the car in the future from the moment I saw them. Or even better, does anyone already sell them to save me the aggravation? :)

500ways
08-20-2013, 10:08 PM
How much $$ are we talking about?

Abarth619
08-20-2013, 11:21 PM
How much $$ are we talking about? I haven't even thought about that yet, as I'm not sure of the labor time of doing a set yet. I can say it wouldn't be as ridiculously expensive as anything carbon fiber available for the 500 lol. I'm hoping to keep the price low though, in the $150 to $200 range. Its a project I'm going to try and undertake over the winter. I was just trying to get a feeler on how the 500 community liked the idea.

geeded
08-22-2013, 05:54 PM
I'd certainly be interested assuming no changes between 2012 Abarth (mine) and newer. Also if the changeover is idiot (me) proof. Polished aluminum sounds great.

Cheers

shadyabarth
08-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Sounds like a great idea but keep in mind that during the summer months they will burn your hand while in the winter they will feel like ice cubes..maybe you can coat them with a rubber coating?

Abarth619
08-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Sounds like a great idea but keep in mind that during the summer months they will burn your hand while in the winter they will feel like ice cubes..maybe you can coat them with a rubber coating? Unfortunately The only thing I can think of doing at this time is Plastidiping the pieces. Not spraying them, but actually dipping them. I'm kind of a meticulous fella and I'd feel this would cheapen them and I don't know how the plastidip would hold up. Like I said though, I'm still in the beginning stages of this project, but I hear you on the coldness of the handles. I had billet shift handles on my FJ and they were brutally cold in the winter even though they were thinly rubberized. If everything does come together on this project, I can guarantee that the final product will be fantastic and a must have for any 500.

melanzane
08-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Are you talking the underseat -up/down handle or the handle that makes the upper seat recline?

Abarth619
08-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Are you talking the underseat -up/down handle or the handle that makes the upper seat recline? The recline handle and seat height adjustment handle.

Fiat500USA
08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
The recline handle and seat height adjustment handle.

Like this recline handle?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o9eiVOjPCRk/TZPV9CumPHI/AAAAAAAAF14/BYUiMJmACvw/s640/Fiat500USA-Abarth_695TributoFerrari_interior.jpg

redred
08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Like this recline handle?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o9eiVOjPCRk/TZPV9CumPHI/AAAAAAAAF14/BYUiMJmACvw/s640/Fiat500USA-Abarth_695TributoFerrari_interior.jpg

God I want those seats!! Come on Fiat/Mopar/Sabelt!!! Get your a## into gear and make it happen for us lowly North American folks!!! :)

Fiat500USA
08-26-2013, 08:17 PM
I've sat in them and they are so very cool. I've said it before in one of the threads that they all love these seats, too. Personally, I think it is a matter of cost as to why we haven't seen them offered. I think there is a reluctance to offer $3,000+ seats for a $20,000 car. They didn't seem too concerned about them not having airbags when I asked about that.

mellena
12-19-2013, 06:57 PM
I think this is a great idea. What about the interior door handles and the sphere covering the handles? I have access to an Autocad machine for milling aluminum. Its a friend of mine who said he can do it if I provide the autocad and the stock. Anyone have ideas on how to autocad plans for the parts? I have never used autocad but am familiar with Autodesk from experience with 3d animation in Maya. I like the idea of upgrading small parts of the interior that you touch regularly.

Tweak
12-19-2013, 07:10 PM
I think this is a great idea. What about the interior door handles and the sphere covering the handles? I have access to an Autocad machine for milling aluminum. Its a friend of mine who said he can do it if I provide the autocad and the stock. Anyone have ideas on how to autocad plans for the parts? I have never used autocad but am familiar with Autodesk from experience with 3d animation in Maya. I like the idea of upgrading small parts of the interior that you touch regularly.

Welcome to the forum.

I am interested to see what you might manage to come up with, enjoy the forum and thanks for considering a project that I am sure many will appreciate.