PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Off Center?

Abarth619
08-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Its not pulling to the right, but if I hold the steering wheel straight, the car goes slightly to the right. I have to hold the wheel to the left a little in order to go straight. Its been this way since day one. At first I thought it might have been the roads, but after testing it on extremely flat straight roads it still does it.

I brought it to the dealer they said it was the tire psi, which I checked beforehand and all the pressures were ok and I knew they were blowing smoke up you know where. They said it wasn't the alignment which they checked as well. I'm thinking it could just be a tie rod issue, adjustment? I hate to have to bring it back to them and have it even more messed up when I get it back. Anyone else have this problem? How was it solved? Thanks in advance.

08-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Its not pulling to the right, but if I hold the steering wheel straight, the car goes slightly to the right. I have to hold the wheel to the left a little in order to go straight. Its been this way since day one. At first I thought it might have been the roads, but after testing it on extremely flat straight roads it still does it.

I brought it to the dealer they said it was the tire psi, which I checked beforehand and all the pressures were ok and I knew they were blowing smoke up you know where. They said it wasn't the alignment which they checked as well. I'm thinking it could just be a tie rod issue, adjustment? I hate to have to bring it back to them and have it even more messed up when I get it back. Anyone else have this problem? How was it solved? Thanks in advance.

Theyve just not bolted the steering wheel on in the "neutral" position at the factory. Id get the dealer to get it square on the boss as you dont want to mess with the airbag inside unless you really know what youre doing!

SeaDawg
08-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Theyve just not bolted the steering wheel on in the "neutral" position at the factory. Id get the dealer to get it square on the boss as you dont want to mess with the airbag inside unless you really know what youre doing!

My car does the same thing and I've had the standard Sport wheel replaced with an Abarth wheel. The tech assured me that the steering is marked with the proper position when installing the wheel, and yet, my wheel is slightly off to the left also.

BigDaddySRT
08-20-2013, 07:43 AM

In a safe area... drive the vehicle in a straight line and let go of the steering wheel... does it track/ pull to the right without you holding the steering wheel?

If you are having to "hold" the steering wheel off center to the left to go straight then you have an alignment issue.

FootScoot
08-20-2013, 08:31 AM
The steering wheel is probably off a tooth on the steering shaft spline, say that 10 times fast. It could easily happen during assembly.

BigDaddySRT
08-20-2013, 11:28 AM
The steering wheel is probably off a tooth on the steering shaft spline, say that 10 times fast. It could easily happen during assembly.

And it gets passed running on the Rollers and Quality Check at the Factory.

Yeah... sure.

dsmithpdx
08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Same issue here, except the opposite scenario (my wheel is turned slightly left when I'm going straight). I've pretty much decided to just live with it...

Haring
08-20-2013, 12:34 PM
I had that issue on my Sport but on my Abarth its fine

Baldy McBalders
08-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi,
Yes, my 500T is the exact same way, since day one. I very recently changed springs, so if it is still present after I have an alignment done, it will be added to the (short) list of issues that I will have the studio look into.
Thanks,
Brian

Abarth619
08-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I figured it was the off a tooth or two. I'm taking this car to the dealership next week and having them look at this, my rear washer fluid leak 'again' and my creaking & rattling front seats as well. I might just fix the seats and washer fluid leak myself if I get the time, but I'm flat out at work right now. There not big issues, but I'd like them fixed as they are quickly tarnishing my new car ownership period haha.