PDA

View Full Version : HELP !?! Do I wait for 2014 Abarth ??

MiamiVice22
08-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi guys, I just got back from the dealer, I was all set to order a 2013 Abarth, Rosso w/comfort convenience, sunroof, RED leather seats, black stripes/w/RED mirror caps and Beats Audio. I walk in, dealer tells me Fiat has stopped taking custom orders for 2013's (as of Wednesday last week) and hasn't started taking orders for 2014's yet. He located one in PA. with everything but the Beats...but it has 49 'test' miles on it and it will put on 111 being delivered from PA. I put a refundable $500 deposit on the PA one ...BUT, I want the Beats ( I think) and I'm wary of having half the break-in period executed via 'test' rides and delivery. Anybody have any thoughts on this, and also any idea when Fiat will release the '2014 option codes' so that dealers will be able to begin ordering 2014 Abarth's ?? I don't mind waiting a few weeks for them to start taking orders (if that's all it'll be). I also really like the RED leather seats. Anyone think they'll discontinue that seat option ?? Had my first test drive today...car is AWESOME !! Thx in advance for any thoughts/advice.

ABARTH TAMER
08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't sweat the test miles. The car has a rev limiter, mine had 50, at 2000 miles runs great does not use a drop of oil!

08-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Fly to PA buy it there and drive it back yourself - Id do it if in your position. 2014 changes not announced yet but Id expect very little change just like the 12/13 changes.

Go get it, itd be a nice trip! Call the PA dealer, you may get a better deal direct. Maybe a PA resident here knows that dealer and can get you a decent contact? Try the local forums on here!

Andree
08-19-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure where you are, other than you saying PA is nearby.

This one has everything in Akron, OH:
http://www.fiatusaofyoungstown.com/new/FIAT/2013-FIAT-500-akron-ohio-92a44ccc0a0a00de01f4c81c2dcf0480.htm

Wexford, PA:
http://www.fiatusaofwexford.com/new/FIAT/2013-FIAT-500-pittsburgh-975d104f0a0a004900bbcb8b075bdc1a.htm

Gaithersburg, MD:
http://www.fiatusaofgaithersburg.com/new/FIAT/2013-FIAT-500-3a84a3e20a0a00e001db0c7e4e94cf0d.htm

Vienna, VA:
http://www.fiatusaoftysonscorner.com/new/FIAT/2013-FIAT-500-606bb0ba0a0a006400101044e2d2e9ac.htm

P.S. The one in Maryland is still in transit.

DesmosDromos
08-19-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm in PA if you need a contact here. What Studio has the car you want? I'm in Philly and have visited the Montgomeryville and Langhorne stores.

Kurumi
08-19-2013, 07:52 PM
There is also Fiat of Alexandria and Fiat of Stafford in Northern Virginia as well. I have contacts at both Fiat of Alexandria and Fiat of Gathersburg if you want to go in on a car.

sk8ace
08-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Picked mine up from Wexford. First 2013 they sold :-)

ReconTopher
08-19-2013, 08:08 PM
I'd wait and get exactly what you want. Plus it gives them more time to get their quality control up to speed. :)

Abarth Five O
08-19-2013, 08:08 PM
The price of the 2014s will probably go up w/ few changes, if any. Get a good deal on a 2013 and use the savings to buy mods.

FTY
08-19-2013, 08:15 PM
The price of the 2014s will probably go up w/ few changes, if any. Get a good deal on a 2013 and use the savings to buy mods.

This!!

Plus the wait is infuriating!!

musicsurf
08-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Honestly for the price you would pay for the Beats package, you could put a much nicer system in and save some money.

Abarth619
08-19-2013, 08:53 PM
I had a very similar dilemma. No 2014 orders yet and no announced changes to the 2014 models. I didn't want to buy a 13 and then find out a few weeks later that I was going to be missing some new features or 'holds breath' a 6 speed. I bite the bullet anyways and I'm glad I did. Getting the car yourself would be a great & fun option, that's what I'd do. 49 miles isn't a big deal. Not to mention dealers usually go for the test drives with the customer to limit the WOTs.

I got the Alpine speakers instead as I didn't like the huge loss of trunk space with the beats audio. They sound great for the music I listen too and I'm sure the Alpine system is lighter as well haha. I'm very impatient and would have a lot of sleepless nights waiting months for my new car. They had the exact one I wanted and drove it home that day, it was awesome, not to mention I saved a lot of money too that will be going to mods. Good luck with your decision.

JoeB
08-19-2013, 09:25 PM
The only significant change I expect to see to the Abarth in '14 is the addition of the sequential auto from the 500L. I went ahead with my manual '13, and I'm thrilled with it.

littlejohn
08-19-2013, 09:29 PM
If the price is right, buy now, ..for me at least, I'm looking at Abarth more closely with the end of year deals they are offering, I love music as much as the next guy, but not if I can could save $1500 on a car purchase. Good Luck..

Andree
08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
I had a very similar dilemma. No 2014 orders yet and no announced changes to the 2014 models. I didn't want to buy a 13 and then find out a few weeks later that I was going to be missing some new features or 'holds breath' a 6 speed. I bite the bullet anyways and I'm glad I did. Getting the car yourself would be a great & fun option, that's what I'd do. 49 miles isn't a big deal. Not to mention dealers usually go for the test drives with the customer to limit the WOTs.

I got the Alpine speakers instead as I didn't like the huge loss of trunk space with the beats audio. They sound great for the music I listen too and I'm sure the Alpine system is lighter as well haha. I'm very impatient and would have a lot of sleepless nights waiting months for my new car. They had the exact one I wanted and drove it home that day, it was awesome, not to mention I saved a lot of money too that will be going to mods. Good luck with your decision.

It's such a toughie, because we never know what will be offered next year. But if we always wait until next year, we'll NEVER buy a car.

And worst case scenario, we wait too long, and what we could have been perfectly satisfied with is discontinued, changed, altered.

You know, where the entire vehicle is changed into something no one really likes, and the older models skyrocket in value because there ARE NO MORE. Model bloat, and much worse, performance loss.

Here's the deal, we can neither go back or forward in time. And if you were frozen in "today", what car would you get?

I missed a ton of great deals on wonderful Fiats because I was looking for something I couldn't find. If I had gone ahead with the "today" car, I would have had one much sooner, and at a much lower price than what I ended up paying. Because I was searching 2012s, and by the time I decided what I'd get, I couldn't get it anymore in a 2012, and had to pay for a 2013.

That error cost me maybe $4,000-$7,000.

NGEN
08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
From my understanding the only difference with the 2014 is the possibility of a fourth color - rumor is yellow but who knows. Also, I believe they are changing black to more of a Gloss Black with no metallic. So depending on what you are looking for, '13 would be the way to go. You can always have them search further out so you can get the package you want with Beats. Search the nation (or ask Andree - she's really good at it) and whoever has the exact one, buy it from them. A plane ticket will only be a few hundred bucks and you can drive it back. Great way to get the 300 mile break-in. Just my .02 cents.

DS Ocampo
08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
They have some at the fiat of Scottsdale and some MOD'd 2012s with low miles on them going for 18... Won't b there long heard they are gonna auction them soon... They look great and have Bose which I love way more than beats IMO ...

JoeB
08-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Also, I believe they are changing black to more of a Gloss Black with no metallic.

If this is true then I'm really glad I jumped when I did: I love the metallic black on my Abarth.

I hope they do the yellow. A yellow Abarth with black stripes/mirrors/wheels and yellow stitching on the interior would be mental!

Mr. Man
08-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Abu Dhabi blue would be the business IMO... But I already have my Abarth :biggrin:

cmj912
08-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Abu Dhabi blue would be the business IMO... But I already have my Abarth :biggrin:

In the UK at least, the light blue of the regular Abarth range is called 'Legends' blue.

Chrysler is offering a light blue called 'Laguna' blue on the Dart. I saw this color in person, and it looks NOTHING like it does on the website. On the web it looks as if the car is metallic and with a strong dose of grey in it.
At the dealership, there was one sitting on the showroom floor. The color is VERY like FIAT's lighter blues. Solid, no metallic, and very, um, 'retropolitan'. With the Dart's styling it looks exceedingly odd. More like a FIAT color.

As for waiting or not, I'd go for the better deal and use the money saved to buy stuff for it. There are plenty of people on here who will spend lots of time on their tablets searching the country for the car you want. :)

Bartman
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Honestly, I think I'd rather listen to the pipes than the radio anyway. What a sweet sound!

trevc
08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
The big changes should be coming with the 2015 model. From everything I have heard and read there won't be much difference with the 2014.
I would get a '13 and start enjoying it now!

hownowcb
08-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Honestly, I think I'd rather listen to the pipes than the radio anyway. What a sweet sound!

Exactly! I ordered the Beats Audio upgrade primarily for it's intended "resale value", though I intend to keep my Abarth for ten years or more if it holds up well. In reality, I hope that by the time I no longer want to keep my car, Beats Audio will be as passť as the Levi's interior was on one of my AMC cars. :Rolleyes:

Andree
08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Exactly! I ordered the Beats Audio upgrade primarily for it's intended "resale value", though I intend to keep my Abarth for ten years or more if it holds up well. In reality, I hope that by the time I no longer want to keep my car, Beats Audio will be as passť as the Levi's interior was on one of my AMC cars. :Rolleyes:

It's a collectible now:
http://www.visualnews.com/2011/05/17/levis-gremlin-with-seats-of-the-pants/

From the wonderful days of when "blue interior" really meant everything was BLUE.

I'd also like to know WHAT IS UP WITH THE BACK SEATS?

Was that huge dip for accommodating tails or something?

Edit: scroll way down here to see one that had a frame off custom restoration, shoved a big block in it, just one pic:
http://www.classicdreamcars.com/RECENTSALES.html

cmj912
08-22-2013, 09:32 AM
It's a collectible now:
http://www.visualnews.com/2011/05/17/levis-gremlin-with-seats-of-the-pants/

From the wonderful days of when "blue interior" really meant everything was BLUE.

I'd also like to know WHAT IS UP WITH THE BACK SEATS?

Was that huge dip for accommodating tails or something?

Edit: scroll way down here to see one that had a frame off custom restoration, shoved a big block in it, just one pic:
http://www.classicdreamcars.com/RECENTSALES.html

My Mom had a Pacer in 1980. I wish we still had it, but there were many years where we'd have needed to hide it someplace.

Anyway in that Gremlin I think that's the hump for the rear axle, no? And the jacknife position of the seat placed between, rather than above the rear-drive mechanicals is very period.

Check out the Pinto Squire - http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2009/08/01/hmn_feature6.html - it can bring you to a place where everything inside the car is not blue, but green.

Andree
08-22-2013, 02:12 PM
My Mom had a Pacer in 1980. I wish we still had it, but there were many years where we'd have needed to hide it someplace.

Anyway in that Gremlin I think that's the hump for the rear axle, no? And the jacknife position of the seat placed between, rather than above the rear-drive mechanicals is very period.

Check out the Pinto Squire - http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2009/08/01/hmn_feature6.html - it can bring you to a place where everything inside the car is not blue, but green.

Ohhh! That is so awesome! It looks almost neon for the exterior. Two-door wagon. And that's what I'm talking about for the fold flat rear seats (Fiat, FOLD FLAT REAR SEATS).

1976 Purple Pacer X with white interior:
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0711_1976_amc_pacer_x/viewall.html

Loving the white interior (Fiat! White interior!) I liked the Pacer. I thought it looked like a Jetson's car.

Andree
08-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Have you found your car yet? Or are you now waiting?

Found one for you:
http://www.fiatusaofglenbrook.com/new/FIAT/2013-FIAT-500-fort-wayne-in-d6f969470a0a00e0003c6b88c01ff5ca.htm

MSRP $28,050, their price right now: $24,401

If the pictures are correct, it has what you want, red mirror caps with black stripe. It show red leather interior, but the window sticker says it has all black seats. Grrrrr.

I ran across this dealer on a game site, they have their sales starting now:
http://www.fiatusaofglenbrook.com/new-inventory/index.htm?start=35

The prices on the Abarths are pretty good.

500ways
08-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Go for the '13. Don't put off until tomorrow that which you can do today + you will save $$$! Good luck!

hownowcb
08-23-2013, 07:11 PM

Yeah, actually I had a specifically ordered '73 Hornet Hatchback with a 360 V-8, 4-barrel and dual exhaust. It was a silver, very similar to my Abarth's grigio, but that Levi's interior was virtually all blue, in fact, identical to the photos you linked to of the Gremlin's interior. Terrible fuel economy (I was a "kid"), but stupid quick! I autocrossed it the first summer to burn off the undersized OEM tires, and only ever lost first place in my class to Porsche 914's. It was kind of a pig on an autocross course, but it sure burned up those tires in a hurry!

Andree
08-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah, actually I had a specifically ordered '73 Hornet Hatchback with a 360 V-8, 4-barrel and dual exhaust. It was a silver, very similar to my Abarth's grigio, but that Levi's interior was virtually all blue, in fact, identical to the photos you linked to of the Gremlin's interior. Terrible fuel economy (I was a "kid"), but stupid quick! I autocrossed it the first summer to burn off the undersized OEM tires, and only ever lost first place in my class to Porsche 914's. It was kind of a pig on an autocross course, but it sure burned up those tires in a hurry!

Haha!!! Gas was cheap then. And V-8s were plentiful.

Back in the days when you could work minimum wage and rent a house. Or huge apartment. Memory lane. Good times.

alice96
08-25-2013, 03:12 PM
I only heard of them maybe adding automatic trans. to expand the clientele base.

alice96
08-25-2013, 03:16 PM
the 2014s are coming out in October so if you wait till they come out and they have 2013 you like then you can compare bothand if you go with the 13 you have more to negotiate with.

cmj912
08-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Ohhh! That is so awesome! It looks almost neon for the exterior. Two-door wagon. And that's what I'm talking about for the fold flat rear seats (Fiat, FOLD FLAT REAR SEATS).

1976 Purple Pacer X with white interior:
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0711_1976_amc_pacer_x/viewall.html

Loving the white interior (Fiat! White interior!) I liked the Pacer. I thought it looked like a Jetson's car.

Our Pacer was tan with the Navajo (?) pattern or like an Aztec pattern on the seats.

Razer500
08-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I was in the same boat, 13 or wait til 14? I looked this last weekend and the deals were too good so I'm a proud new owner of a Rosso Abarth! My deal was great so I don't care what 14 brings, I'm stoked! :)