PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel off center?

Abarth619
08-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Its not pulling to the right, but if I hold the steering wheel straight, the car goes slightly to the right. I have to hold the wheel to the left a little in order to go straight. Its been this way since day one. At first I thought it might have been the roads, but after testing it on extremely flat straight roads it still does it.

I brought it to the dealer they said it was the tire psi, which I checked beforehand and all the pressures were ok and I knew they were blowing smoke up you know where. They said it wasn't the alignment which they checked as well. I'm thinking it could just be a tie rod issue, adjustment? I hate to have to bring it back to them and have it even more messed up when I get it back. Anyone else have this problem? How was it solved? Thanks in advance.

dart1.4t
08-20-2013, 09:59 AM
a good alighgnment is done with e wheel in the center. you can have good toe, camber and caster but a poor steering wheel alignment. my dealer doesn't "check" alignment on a rack. they have portable devices that clamp to the wheels. if they don't jog the wheel back and forth to get everything centered without a load on the tires they may miss the problem. i've had alighnmehts done where i specifically tell them to center the wheel and they fail to get it right.

trevc
08-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Could be the steering wheel was not installed right or it could be an alignment issue.
The steering rack needs to be in the center position and the wheel installed right before any other alignments are done.
A good alignment shop will know this.

FiatCares
08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Its not pulling to the right, but if I hold the steering wheel straight, the car goes slightly to the right. I have to hold the wheel to the left a little in order to go straight. Its been this way since day one. At first I thought it might have been the roads, but after testing it on extremely flat straight roads it still does it.

I brought it to the dealer they said it was the tire psi, which I checked beforehand and all the pressures were ok and I knew they were blowing smoke up you know where. They said it wasn't the alignment which they checked as well. I'm thinking it could just be a tie rod issue, adjustment? I hate to have to bring it back to them and have it even more messed up when I get it back. Anyone else have this problem? How was it solved? Thanks in advance.

If you think it is the alignment, and do not want to go back to the studio (which is all I can recommend under warranty), I would be willing to reimburse you an alignment service from an independent if this would be more convenient. Please PM me with your VIN ... if this would be of use.

Abarth619
08-21-2013, 12:08 AM
If you think it is the alignment, and do not want to go back to the studio (which is all I can recommend under warranty), I would be willing to reimburse you an alignment service from an independent if this would be more convenient. Please PM me with your VIN ... if this would be of use. I don't think its a alignment issue as its not pulling to the right, I think that the steering wheel is just off center and needs to be readjusted. I'm just going to have them fix it since its under warranty and I'm going in anyways for other stuff. Thanks for the response and offer Johnathan.

BigDaddySRT
08-21-2013, 07:09 AM
I don't think its a alignment issue as its not pulling to the right, I think that the steering wheel is just off center and needs to be readjusted. I'm just going to have them fix it since its under warranty and I'm going in anyways for other stuff. Thanks for the response and offer Johnathan.

The steering wheel is "keyed"/ "splined".... how can the Factory Honestly screw this up????

The steering wheel should be "straight" and the vehicle driving straight and true... if it doesn't, then there is an alignment issue and I would not ever accept my vehicle if it didn't drive straight and true.

SeaDawg
08-21-2013, 09:51 AM
The steering wheel is "keyed"/ "splined".... how can the Factory Honestly screw this up????

The steering wheel should be "straight" and the vehicle driving straight and true... if it doesn't, then there is an alignment issue and I would not ever accept my vehicle if it didn't drive straight and true.

They manage it, trust me.