PDA

View Full Version : 500s in Sonoma

JoeB
08-19-2013, 04:12 AM
World Challenge is coming to Sonoma with the IndyCars next weekend, Aug. 23-25. I'll be there stomping around the pits, looking for Team FIAT Scuderia. Get in your FIAT hoopdy and join me at the races!

trevc
08-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Pics please!

Abarth Five O
08-19-2013, 02:01 PM
I saw the Pirelli WC highlights of the TCB class on TV this weekend. Jim Cleveland got up on 2 wheels, hit the barrier hard, and out of the race. (Rollovers seems usual for Fiat 500s due to its higher COG.) Jack Murray finished near the back of the pack :-( but clocked the lowest lap time :-)

JoeB
08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
There isn't much they can do about "back of the pack". TCB is a box-stock class, and that little 500 engine is no match for the MINI, Fit and Mazdas it's competing against. But they're cool!

That WC race is re-airing on NBCSN Thurs, Aug. 22 at 9pm pst, if y'all didn't catch it yesterday.

Abarth Five O
08-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Would the Abarth qualify for the TCB spec class? If so, it would have a much better chance against the competition.

JoeB
08-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Would the Abarth qualify for the TCB spec class? If so, it would have a much better chance against the competition.

No, World Challenge lists specific cars that are eligible for each of their classes. The base 500 is in Touring Car B-Spec, while the Abarth qualifies for Touring Car. A 2-car Abarth team was expected to run in TC this year, but it never materialized.

JoeB
08-24-2013, 04:26 AM
Here's some not great cell-phone pics from practice. I'll try to remember to bring a real camera tomorrow.

Jack Murray Racing
09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Nice pics not sure if we had a chance to meet you. We did get best start of the race award for the second race in a row. Unfortunately we just on't have the power to stay there. Sonoma was a fun track but the hills and the Lengths of the straights kill us. There was an Abarth there run by Atlanta Motorsports Group. They had some teething pains and hit the wall and Flipped during the out lap for Qualifying. It was a beautiful car but it's weekend was done .

Jack Murray Racing
09-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Hi this is Jack, We had the best start of the race award @ Mid-Ohio gaining 11 positions on the first lap. ultimately we suffered a punctured tire during the yellow flag laps and had to pit with 2 laps to go. lack of HP in the cars is a real problem. SRT developed a new head for us but it proved to be no better than the one we have