PDA

View Full Version : Passenger window went POP! and sank into door frame

laitsabr
08-19-2013, 01:07 AM
this morning, on a country road with a 25mph limit, going at about the limit, with both windows down, no cars around, no pedestrians, no road construction nearby. Decided to bring up the windows to turn on the AC. Passenger window goes POP! on its way up and stops. I stop the car thinking something just hit the car. No damage to the exterior of the car, no marks on the glass. Just stopped midway. I depress the Passenger window switch to bring it up again, Another POP! and the whole window drops into the door-frame leaving a triangle portion sticking out like a sunken ship.
Decided not to touch anything, rechecked to make sure that there is no exterior damage that could have caused it (none found). Drove home and called the Studio. No techs on Sunday, so need to bring in tomorrow morning.

Here is a picture of the window as-is right now:

I could not find any similar occurrences in a cursory search (besides someone's sunroof exploding but that was likely impact from a external source). From the glass sticking out, there is a hole at the corner which looked like it connected to a guide. no screws or springs, and likely lots of shattered glass and parts lying at the bottom of the door frame right now.

Besides the crappy driver-side speaker that crackles because of an earthing issue, it has been a wonderful enjoyable ride. It's a knife to the heart for this to happen.

More when the Studio gets to diagnose it. But this looks to be a major warranty issue. And I hope it gets replaced by genuine Fiat glass, however unlikely.... :(

Saxonite
08-19-2013, 01:47 AM
It sounds like the glass fell off its track. When I worked at an Acura dealership many years ago I remember a TL did the same thing. It should be covered under warranty.

FiatCares
08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
this morning, on a country road with a 25mph limit, going at about the limit, with both windows down, no cars around, no pedestrians, no road construction nearby. Decided to bring up the windows to turn on the AC. Passenger window goes POP! on its way up and stops. I stop the car thinking something just hit the car. No damage to the exterior of the car, no marks on the glass. Just stopped midway. I depress the Passenger window switch to bring it up again, Another POP! and the whole window drops into the door-frame leaving a triangle portion sticking out like a sunken ship.
Decided not to touch anything, rechecked to make sure that there is no exterior damage that could have caused it (none found). Drove home and called the Studio. No techs on Sunday, so need to bring in tomorrow morning.

Here is a picture of the window as-is right now:

I could not find any similar occurrences in a cursory search (besides someone's sunroof exploding but that was likely impact from a external source). From the glass sticking out, there is a hole at the corner which looked like it connected to a guide. no screws or springs, and likely lots of shattered glass and parts lying at the bottom of the door frame right now.

Besides the crappy driver-side speaker that crackles because of an earthing issue, it has been a wonderful enjoyable ride. It's a knife to the heart for this to happen.

More when the Studio gets to diagnose it. But this looks to be a major warranty issue. And I hope it gets replaced by genuine Fiat glass, however unlikely.... :(

Either the window fell off the track due to the bumpy road or the window regulator failed.. either way, should be a warranty issue..

laitsabr
08-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Appreciate the responses on likely causes.
Still waiting for an update. Apparently Fiat has no rental car policy, and all loaners are out, my poor luck...

Tweak
08-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Appreciate the responses on likely causes.
Still waiting for an update. Apparently Fiat has no rental car policy, and all loaners are out, my poor luck...

I thought anytime it was more than a single day fix or something you could not drive a rental was an option...maybe specific to some dealers. Good luck with a quick/easy repair, does look as if it slipped off track somehow.

DuckDodgers
08-20-2013, 08:44 PM
If a warranty repair will take more than a day and the car is out of service, the Studio is possibly required by consumer law to provide alternate transportation. In Washington, the state law on implied warranty suggests you might be entitled to such. Perhaps comtact the State Attorney Generals Office?

VTEC Mini
08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
A long with a drivers door rattle, my window makes a popping noise at the bottom of the stroke when going down and up. Brought it to the studio and they said it was the weather stripping causing it. They ordeed the new part is in. I have to wait until Monday when I get off work. Hopefully this is the cause of my door rattle they refused to fix.

nerdvana
08-22-2013, 04:44 PM

If the window had shattered I don't think there would be any sticking out, and there is no reason to suspect lots of parts lying at the bottom. As others have mentioned, this is likely a very simple fix; describing the issue as "a knife to the heart" and "a major warranty issue" is a little melodramatic IMO. A spun crank bearing, a grenaded transmission, or a vehicle fire would be a major warranty issue. :-)

If it happens again, you could try getting a good grip on the protruding piece and lifting it up. A previous car had a problem where the window would operate normally down to the midpoint, but if it went all the way down it would stay there until I pulled it up partway and then it would engage. (The regulator had partially failed.)

It's been a few days now. Any results from the studio?

FiatCACares
08-23-2013, 08:19 AM
A long with a drivers door rattle, my window makes a popping noise at the bottom of the stroke when going down and up. Brought it to the studio and they said it was the weather stripping causing it. They ordeed the new part is in. I have to wait until Monday when I get off work. Hopefully this is the cause of my door rattle they refused to fix.

VTEC Mini,

Keep us posted after the repair is completed. I hope this helps resolve all your concerns. If you have any questions please PM me and I'd be happy to help.

VTEC Mini
08-23-2013, 08:36 AM
VTEC Mini,

Keep us posted after the repair is completed. I hope this helps resolve all your concerns. If you have any questions please PM me and I'd be happy to help.

Will do.

laitsabr
08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Ah, melodramatic indeed, on hindsight. Forgive me, but it sure felt like that then it happened. One man's bread is another man's butter :)

Good news is that the Studio delivered. It was all fixed at the Studio by the next afternoon. Apparently they had to ship the parts and new glass from Michigan. Happy to see original glass. Will post a fuller description of the repair later. All under warranty.

Now waiting to see if the tint I had on will also be covered. Not a big deal, but will be nice if it is. I am so glad to have my pocket rocket back...

laitsabr
08-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Here is the repair list:

- Glass Front Door
- W/Strip - Front Door Glass Run
- W/Strip - Front Door Belt Outer
- Regulator - Front Door Window
- Handle - Inside Release

Passenger door fell into door. Found guide that snaps into glass had broken chewing up inner glass run and causing glass to seize in run, breaking window regulator. Replaced glass, inner and outer glass run and regulator assembly. Found inner door release retainer for cable cracked, replaced inner door handle release.

VTEC Mini
08-27-2013, 02:35 PM
VTEC Mini,

Keep us posted after the repair is completed. I hope this helps resolve all your concerns. If you have any questions please PM me and I'd be happy to help.Got the seal replaced yesterday. While in the door they discovered the window regulator was coming apart. They got the window up in the up position and told me not to roll the window down because there is a great chance it won’t go back up..... I asked if this was source of my door rattle I have had for the last five months and have brought it in four times for..... They said "yes".... I have asked several times to look at the window regulator specifically for the rattle because with the window down the rattle stops and they said "they did"..... The last time was two weeks ago. Now I know if the regulator is this bad it just didn't happen in the last two weeks. I am convinced I have the laziest service department.

FiatCACares
08-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Got the seal replaced yesterday. While in the door they discovered the window regulator was coming apart. They got the window up in the up position and told me not to roll the window down because there is a great chance it won’t go back up..... I asked if this was source of my door rattle I have had for the last five months and have brought it in four times for..... They said "yes".... I have asked several times to look at the window regulator specifically for the rattle because with the window down the rattle stops and they said "they did"..... The last time was two weeks ago. Now I know if the regulator is this bad it just didn't happen in the last two weeks. I am convinced I have the laziest service department.

Vtec Mini,

I'm sorry to hear about about your frustrations with your studio. Did they fix the window regulator? Has everything been resolved now?

Andree
08-28-2013, 05:14 PM
There was a Service Bulletin on the windows:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11254-TSB-23-029-13-Side-Glass-Inoperable

VTEC Mini
08-29-2013, 08:36 AM
There was a Service Bulletin on the windows:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11254-TSB-23-029-13-Side-Glass-InoperableHuh. After five complaints they didn't act on this TSB? Yeah, some dealer I got... Thank you.

Andree
08-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Huh. After five complaints they didn't act on this TSB? Yeah, some dealer I got... Thank you.

When I had my Honda, there was a Service Bulletin that all of us were discussing on that forum. We'd discovered the problem. I'd taken in my car as the tester to show that there was indeed a problem. And they did the bulletin and made a flash update for the problem.

No one in the dealer's service department knew about it, had heard about it, had ever done it before. The first fellow couldn't FIND the service bulletin on the computer system. The second fellow was able to find it easily.

With everything computerized, I don't think the service people get a paper handout. And I have no idea how they distribute the new information to the staff.

I suppose I'd want to do it the old-fashioned way with a binder of Service Bulletins, and pass around a copy for all the personnel to initial and date.

I think I'd have all the staff read the bulletins. It's not like there are thousands coming out daily. Sales, office, detailers, everyone should read and initial. So no matter who a customer brought up an issue with, or mentioned something about a problem, that person will have read the bulletin and can point the customer to the service department where it can be taken care of.

I don't have a thorough mechanical knowledge of the inner workings of the window equipment. All I knew was "I read something somewhere about a window thing". And that is what had me respond to the post. That's all the dealership staff needs to know, too, is that there is a "window thing". Out of all the people, someone will remember it.

VTEC Mini
08-29-2013, 06:30 PM
When I had my Honda, there was a Service Bulletin that all of us were discussing on that forum. We'd discovered the problem. I'd taken in my car as the tester to show that there was indeed a problem. And they did the bulletin and made a flash update for the problem.

No one in the dealer's service department knew about it, had heard about it, had ever done it before. The first fellow couldn't FIND the service bulletin on the computer system. The second fellow was able to find it easily.

With everything computerized, I don't think the service people get a paper handout. And I have no idea how they distribute the new information to the staff.

I suppose I'd want to do it the old-fashioned way with a binder of Service Bulletins, and pass around a copy for all the personnel to initial and date.

I think I'd have all the staff read the bulletins. It's not like there are thousands coming out daily. Sales, office, detailers, everyone should read and initial. So no matter who a customer brought up an issue with, or mentioned something about a problem, that person will have read the bulletin and can point the customer to the service department where it can be taken care of.

I don't have a thorough mechanical knowledge of the inner workings of the window equipment. All I knew was "I read something somewhere about a window thing". And that is what had me respond to the post. That's all the dealership staff needs to know, too, is that there is a "window thing". Out of all the people, someone will remember it.

Amen to that...