PDA

View Full Version : Glove box drink cooler dial! via n00dle

Andree
08-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Here it is, a picture of the upper glove box of the Trekking showing the drink cooler dial! First one I've seen. In n00dle's thread:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11270-Trekking-in-LA!&p=624399&viewfull=1#post624399

How many people have it? How many don't?

Curious
08-20-2013, 11:15 AM
My Easy had the dial. When opened no air blows thru. I made a comment about this in another post. Bottom line is that no air blows thru at either fan setting, thru floor, vents or dash. Fiat has not mentioned this feature anywhere. So they may have offered it in other countries but may have decided not to offer it in the USA.

jabird101
08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I was told by Fiat Cares that there is no cooler in the upper compartment. I begged to disagree, but I was told that this is not an option, thy are using a part from another vehicle that has this feature but the L does not have ti connected. I dropped the lower glove box and felt up in there and sure enough there is an elbow pipe connected to the vent but nothing connected to the elbow. I looked through the manual and there is nothing there either that explains this feature.

The sales folks need to stop selling it as if it comes with this feature.

jabird101
08-20-2013, 11:59 AM
I was thinking of installing a small peltier cooler/heating module with a heatsync on both sides so I can turm mine into a cooler and heater. These little pads are neat. they are 12volt and one side is hot and the other cold. Reverse the polarity and the cold and host sides swap.

Mario500L
08-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I totally agree, my sale's guy, told me about this feature, and of course, I was happy. Now, I am disappointed that is just not there, and has been used as a "sales feature"

Andree
08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
I think it can be done, I posted a couple links over here:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11270-Trekking-in-LA!&p=624703&viewfull=1#post624703

Thanks to jabird101 doing some checking, it's probably just a few parts away from being a functional outlet.

There are several vehicles that have the feature, so it's possible that those parts could be used for the 500L. And then there are "I can make this work" MacGyver parts.

Since the feature IS on the UK cars, it's also possible that one of the aftermarket parts suppliers could locate the parts, or create a version of the part(s) to work in the 500L.

There are a whole bunch of options we haven't explored yet. Don't give up.

jabird101
08-20-2013, 07:12 PM
The pictures are here, The pictures are here!

First pop the stops off of the left and right of the glove box

Then pop off the retractor thing on the left side. Don't worry it wont spring back to far.

Then look up and to the right

I had a piece of 3/4" hose and it fits snugly like a good hose should.

Now it is just a matter of finding a place to connect the other end of the hose to.
It is a little cramped back there so the next steps would be to pull the fascia around the radio and the radio and look for a place to connect by the top dash vent or the ones on either side of the radio.

Curious
08-20-2013, 08:40 PM

Then pop off the retractor thing on the left side. Don't worry it wont spring back to far.

Now it is just a matter of finding a place to connect the other end of the hose to.
It is a little cramped back there so the next steps would be to pull the fascia around the radio and the radio and look for a place to connect by the top dash vent or the ones on either side of the radio.

This is all great to read. Let us all know when you have the rest of this figured out, hooked up and cooling drinks. That will make you the hero of the day to lots of people.

jabird101
08-20-2013, 08:53 PM
This is all great to read. Let us all know when you have the rest of this figured out, hooked up and cooling drinks. That will make you the hero of the day to lots of people.

I am going to do more investigation over the next few evenings and this coming weekend. Hopefully I will have a cool Coke by the end of the weekend.

Andree
08-20-2013, 11:02 PM
I am going to do more investigation over the next few evenings and this coming weekend. Hopefully I will have a cool Coke by the end of the weekend.

Are you going with a dial, or just running the hose to the hole?

Does the pipe looking thing with three black rings around it blow the cold air with the a/c on? And it's just not hooked up to the back of the glovebox?

Andree
08-20-2013, 11:10 PM

I totally envy your get up and go, and your do it yourself skills. It would be so cool (pun intended) to fix up the glove box so the a/c vents into it. It will make many a person's commute much easier if they have a nice chilled bev to enjoy on a hot afternoon!

After that, there's another little something to look into...heh...:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11224-Rear-door-tweeters

jabird101
08-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Are you going with a dial, or just running the hose to the hole?

Does the pipe looking thing with three black rings around it blow the cold air with the a/c on? And it's just not hooked up to the back of the glovebox?

The pipe is the inlet to the Box. I haven't found a good place to tap the ac duct. Mine has the dial damper in the back of the box so I plan to connect it and be able to control the cold with the dial.

jabird101
08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Well... It may take longer than I thought. I put my key in the ignition this morning and nothing.

I hooked jumper cables to the battery and nothing. I called Fiat roadside assistance and they are going to tow it to the garage. This will delay my investigation if I do not have my car back soon.

Andree
08-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Well... It may take longer than I thought. I put my key in the ignition this morning and nothing.

I hooked jumper cables to the battery and nothing. I called Fiat roadside assistance and they are going to tow it to the garage. This will delay my investigation if I do not have my car back soon.

Oh no! Dead battery maybe?

Curious
08-24-2013, 10:47 AM

I think the best thing to attach it to would be the center left(drivers side) vent. If you have the dual air controls then the most air should come out of the drivers side vents. I say this because the driver has the over ride of the air controls when the "sync" button is pushed in. Now how you tap into that air vent with your rubber tube is a good question. Hopefully the McGuyver in you will figure it out. Just let us all know when you have figured it out or just torn apart your nice new car.

Curious
08-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I think it can be done, I posted a couple links over here:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11270-Trekking-in-LA!&p=624703&viewfull=1#post624703

Thanks to jabird101 doing some checking, it's probably just a few parts away from being a functional outlet.

There are several vehicles that have the feature, so it's possible that those parts could be used for the 500L. And then there are "I can make this work" MacGyver parts.

Since the feature IS on the UK cars, it's also possible that one of the aftermarket parts

Hey Andre I just tried to look this feature up on the U K web site. I did not see it mentioned. Am certain I was not looking in the right place. Please do me a favor and kindly send me the link to where you saw it listed on the U K web site. Thanks mucho.

Luv2byte
08-24-2013, 11:32 AM
When we were at the dealer yesterday they said its a tease, the actual feature is only for use in European market, not here. For the US they plugged it.

Mario500L
08-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Yes, I had the same information. Also, I think that any attempt to "bypass" that lack of feature, as some folks here are trying to do, maybe grounds to void some warranty.

jabird101
08-24-2013, 10:02 PM
How would plugging a hose onto the connection that is already in my car void a warranty or for that matter even cause any problems in any way shape or form? I am going to post my project tomorrow, but it consists of a 3/4 inch piece of hose and a plastic hose barb. Nothing has to be removed or changed other than a hole drilled into a duct that can be plugged with a hardware store bung plug. This is just moving conditioned air from a duct to the box. Don't like it? Spend 5 minutes and undo it.

I would like to better this with an electrical cooling, but that requires more than using what the manufacturer left me to use.

Something every auto owner needs to read and understand if they modify a car in any way. The law says that if the aftermarket parts didn't cause the issue the warranty stands as written. This means that if you use a Fram oil filter they can't reject your injector failure claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Mario500L
08-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Hello jabird101,

I appreciate your explanation, and I guess I am too lazy sometimes to try to "fix" by myself. So , I guess , I will try maybe sometime have a fix, after all, no one deservers a "warm" coke when driving.

Andree
08-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Hey Andre I just tried to look this feature up on the U K web site. I did not see it mentioned. Am certain I was not looking in the right place. Please do me a favor and kindly send me the link to where you saw it listed on the U K web site. Thanks mucho.

I just saw your message. I went to look and both the UK and the Italy sites are "temporarily unavailable".

Edit add ons:

"The Trekking has other useful facets too, like an air conditioned glove box"
https://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoringfeatures/first-drive-fiat-500l-trekking-11363815364197

Pretty much identical article here:
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/cars/roadtest/10588880.Fiat_500L_Trekking_1_6/

"Spending time inside the 500L MPW will give you the opportunity to familiarise yourself with the location of all 22 cubby holes, with the air conditioned upper glovebox, large enough to chill two 500ml drinks bottles, being especially welcome at the height of summer."
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/fiat/500l-mpw/estate-2013/comfort/

It's definitely THERE in the UK versions.

Andree
08-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Curious, I went back to the site today, which is up and running. Downloaded the brochures too. They don't say a single thing about the glove box air con. But I did fill out a survey after looking around, and told them specifically that was what I was looking for, so maybe they'll choose to add it to the brochure or website for 2014?

Curious
08-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Hey Andree thanks much for the follow up. FYI I tried to download the U K versions owners manual. Could not do it with my I-Pad. I had no problem doing that with the USA versions some months ago. It may be a Fiat web site issue, may be an I-Pad issue. I plan to try to download it from work tomorrow. Jabird(AKA McGuyver) just figured out how to Jerry rig it himself(congrats to Jabird). However i can not help to wonder if it may be best to order the parts needed from a U K dealer and then install without fear of voiding a warranty.

If all else fails Jabird may well need to have a new job in life, driving all across America installing his fix on soooooooo many 500L's. Good thing he has a good GPS system built into his 500L and his drinks will be kept cold for the drive.

jabird101
08-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Here is the promised post. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11545-Connecting-the-gloveboox-cooler

If the is the demand, Curious, I may start wandering the countryside modifying 500L coolers :frantic4yc:

Andree
08-25-2013, 09:39 PM
It might not say anything in the manual. My manual is wrong, still showing the Bose system from 2012, and I have the Alpine in my 500 Lounge, with NO subwoofer.

I just tried to download and got an error, path not found.

The only thing doing it yourself would void the warranty on would be the particular duct that has a hole in it after drilling a hole in it. They won't cover that duct piece for not having holes if you drill holes in it. LOL!!!

I bought the assembly manual when I had my 72 corvette. I LIKE to see where everything goes and in what order. And every single piece in the assembly manual had a part number. So if you needed that one screw or piece of weather stripping, you knew exactly what to ask for, and the part numbers were current in the Chevrolet database.

I did try looking for the parts last night, by searching using the UK Google and looking at some parts pages. There's nothing like what I wanted. I found glove boxes for Fiats, old and new, glove box handles, but no air con guts.

If it were up to me, those assembly manuals/complete parts schematics, they could be made available at a cost via download, or free look up of a specific type part. I'd guess 95% of the public wouldn't download them or care that they exist. The rest would LOVE it, being able to check out specific items. And costs.

For the people who like the glossy dash more than a padded dash, or visa versa. Let me know what I can swap and what it will cost.

It's that simple. What will fit my vehicle? How much will it cost?

Curious
08-26-2013, 07:39 PM
I had no chance to try to download the owners manual from work today. I just returned to work today after a 2 week vacation. Had 625 new emails to dig thru, seriously, no kidding. Will try in a day or two, after much catching up.

Curious
08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Here is the promised post. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11545-Connecting-the-gloveboox-cooler

If the is the demand, Curious, I may start wandering the countryside modifying 500L coolers :frantic4yc:

Well hey if you ever decide to take a road trip to South Carolina then I may very well be interested. Heck I can even make certain you leave with new, cold drinks in your glove box as you depart for your next stop in your trek across America. Can even welcome you with chilly beer. Southern hospitality is alive and well in Charleston. Cheers!!!

jabird101
08-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Well hey if you ever decide to take a road trip to South Carolina then I may very well be interested. Heck I can even make certain you leave with new, cold drinks in your glove box as you depart for your next stop in your trek across America. Can even welcome you with chilly beer. Southern hospitality is alive and well in Charleston. Cheers!!!

I have never been to Charleston. I was in Greenville and a little town called Willistion over by Augusta in the mid 90's for work. Both of those areas were beautiful and nice people.

Curious
08-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Ok I managed to download the U K versions owners manual from my work computer today. As I suspected Andre was correct. It is offered on their 500L's. Here's what that U K owners manual says and I quote:

On some versions the compartment may be cooled by an air vent connected to the climate control system (operate wheel B fig. 61 to adjust the air flow rate inside the compartment).

The cooling function is only carried out with the climate control system on.

End quote

And I believe this feature is offered on the Italians version. I saw a video of an Italian sales gal taking some other Italians on a test drive. It was all spoken in Italian but at one point they were talking about this glove box A/C system. They opened up that glove box up and were all oohs and aaah s about it.

Just not right that they cut out the air hoses on our 500L's.

jabird101
08-27-2013, 07:41 PM
In the winter, with the heat on, you can use it to keep your pot luck dish warm on your way to a holiday party.

Andree
08-28-2013, 02:37 AM
In the winter, with the heat on, you can use it to keep your pot luck dish warm on your way to a holiday party.

hahahahaha!

I'd rather bake cupcakes, ala Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven (it used a light bulb).

I just won't be happy with the 500L until the coffee maker is available in the US AND I can bake in the glove box.

Andree
08-28-2013, 02:38 AM
Ok I managed to download the U K versions owners manual from my work computer today. As I suspected Andre was correct. It is offered on their 500L's. Here's what that U K owners manual says and I quote:

On some versions the compartment may be cooled by an air vent connected to the climate control system (operate wheel B fig. 61 to adjust the air flow rate inside the compartment).

The cooling function is only carried out with the climate control system on.

End quote

And I believe this feature is offered on the Italians version. I saw a video of an Italian sales gal taking some other Italians on a test drive. It was all spoken in Italian but at one point they were talking about this glove box A/C system. They opened up that glove box up and were all oohs and aaah s about it.

Just not right that they cut out the air hoses on our 500L's.

I know! And what about the COFFEE MAKER?

And City Brakes. And the City button for the steering.

UomoNuovo
08-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Hi All - My Trekking has the dial in the upper box (pretty small box, too) and the Sales person at the studio pointed it out as a feature on my initial test drive ( a very hot day with cranking AC all over the vehicle - except, of course, in the "mini-cooler" but who knew at that point )...

When I got my very brief "get acquainted with your new Fiat" walk through on the day of pick-up from the studio, the sales person once again pointed out the dial/AC feature in the box - and then said something like, "... but it doesn't feel like there's anything coming through it. OH WELL." - I was none too pleased.

I mean, it's not like anything sizable could fit in that space anyway (one 12 ounce can, half a sandwich, a carrot stick)... and the cooled beverage may not fit in the small, far-away cup holders behind the shift stick...

I do think that it is important for us to raise these issues with FIATusa and let them know that their miscommunications (sale's talk that is blatantly incorrect) create dissatisfaction with the new owners. They should get their act together and make it right... for those of us who were told one thing but then presented with a different truth... Again, all of this said out of a strong interest in and support of these FIAT products - but all the little things add up and sometimes it makes us miff'd, but in the end I still like my car and I want it to be right... you know?

jabird101
08-28-2013, 09:00 AM
I brought this up with fiat cares after my parts person told me that there was no part to connect the cooler available.
I was told by Fiat there was no cooler. I said my salesman pointed it out. I was then told there was nothing they could do about what the sales person said at a dealership. I asked if they could send a memo to educate the dealers. She said that they are all independently owned and they need to educste themselves on the product. I asked if the training materials included a note about the cooler in the dash not being active. She told me that information and all training materials are trade secrets and she could not tell me and she could not suggest a memo be sent to the dealers. She told me again that the dealers are independent and there was nothing she can do. In my experience with fiat cares, if you have an issue that involves a dealer (I have had several) they don't care if that dealer tarnishes the brand. This is the problem with outsourced helpdesk like Chrysler does with the company Minacs (that I used to work for). You are not talking to a Chrysler employee you are talking to someone paid to keep you from talking to a Chrysler employee.

jabird101
08-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Don't get me wrong I love my car, and my new default dealer. I just miss the attention to customers thst Chrysler had in the early 2000s when I had other chrysler products. I had an axle fail in 2001 on my truck and they went way beyond what was necessary to get the truck fixed. They had a new axle overnight and me up and running including paying for a hotel night. Things have certainly changed since then...

Andree
08-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi All - My Trekking has the dial in the upper box (pretty small box, too) and the Sales person at the studio pointed it out as a feature on my initial test drive ( a very hot day with cranking AC all over the vehicle - except, of course, in the "mini-cooler" but who knew at that point )...

When I got my very brief "get acquainted with your new Fiat" walk through on the day of pick-up from the studio, the sales person once again pointed out the dial/AC feature in the box - and then said something like, "... but it doesn't feel like there's anything coming through it. OH WELL." - I was none too pleased.

I mean, it's not like anything sizable could fit in that space anyway (one 12 ounce can, half a sandwich, a carrot stick)... and the cooled beverage may not fit in the small, far-away cup holders behind the shift stick...

I do think that it is important for us to raise these issues with FIATusa and let them know that their miscommunications (sale's talk that is blatantly incorrect) create dissatisfaction with the new owners. They should get their act together and make it right... for those of us who were told one thing but then presented with a different truth... Again, all of this said out of a strong interest in and support of these FIAT products - but all the little things add up and sometimes it makes us miff'd, but in the end I still like my car and I want it to be right... you know?

Three words: Better Business Bureau.

The main page for US and Canada, where you enter your city or postal code/zip code: http://www.bbb.org/

Copy/paste from the start of the Complaint process:

What complaints do we handle?

Disagreements between businesses and their customers. However, we reserve the right to reject complaints that use abusive or foul language.

We do not handle:

workplace disputes;
discrimination claims;
matters that are or have been litigated;
claims about the quality of health or legal services.

How do we handle your complaint?

Everything you submit will be forwarded to the business within two business days. The business will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the business’s response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 business days.

------

You can think of BBB as a mediator, in a way. You tell them your side of the story, and explain that while the salesperson gave you the impression of a glove box cooler (that didn't seem to work), it turns out that it's just the dial and no parts are connected to the glove box.

Wolfepaw
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Three words: Better Business Bureau.

The main page for US and Canada, where you enter your city or postal code/zip code: http://www.bbb.org/

Copy/paste from the start of the Complaint process:

What complaints do we handle?

Disagreements between businesses and their customers. However, we reserve the right to reject complaints that use abusive or foul language.

We do not handle:

workplace disputes;
discrimination claims;
matters that are or have been litigated;
claims about the quality of health or legal services.

How do we handle your complaint?

Everything you submit will be forwarded to the business within two business days. The business will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the business’s response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 business days.

------

You can think of BBB as a mediator, in a way. You tell them your side of the story, and explain that while the salesperson gave you the impression of a glove box cooler (that didn't seem to work), it turns out that it's just the dial and no parts are connected to the glove box.

Not so sure I would do that to the dealership that then has to service my car for the next how many years. Go the BBB route at your own risk. Especially if it's the only dealership you can go to without a whole lot of hassle getting there.

Indie500L
08-28-2013, 06:28 PM
You know after opening the vent - yeah the size of my little pinky - and driving around for a while it did get cool in the upper glovebox - I wouldn't expect it to get ice in it especially on a hot day but it wasn't hot in the top box by any means. 500L Lounge ... if you look in the hole you can see Stuff back there but no hose connections for sure!

Andree
08-28-2013, 10:24 PM
You know after opening the vent - yeah the size of my little pinky - and driving around for a while it did get cool in the upper glovebox - I wouldn't expect it to get ice in it especially on a hot day but it wasn't hot in the top box by any means. 500L Lounge ... if you look in the hole you can see Stuff back there but no hose connections for sure!

It should be close to what the interior temperature is, since it's A HOLE IN THE GLOVE BOX that opens to the passenger compartment.

Indie500L
08-29-2013, 06:47 AM
This is a minor problem compared to no xm radio yet (checking on it) and the GPS lagging behind about 1000 feet from where I am or rebooting just when I need directions. Guess this can happen when you buy the First 500L sold in RI!

Curious
08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Hey I love my GPS system, never misses a beat. And the lady talks so nicely to me. Suggest you get your dealer to get both items fixed. Am certain Fiat knows what the bugs are in both by now.

Indie500L
08-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Ok I checked in the upper glove box today and guess what I find? Apparently when I had the door lock software upgraded at the studio at the beginning of the month they also installed a cap over the hole behind the air conditioning inlet vent hole in the glove box.

jabird101
09-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I bet every dealer was selling the feature and then had complaints.

Andree
09-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Ok I checked in the upper glove box today and guess what I find? Apparently when I had the door lock software upgraded at the studio at the beginning of the month they also installed a cap over the hole behind the air conditioning inlet vent hole in the glove box.

And that's what should have been done in the first place. No dial, just a little rubber fitting on the hole. So that no one is confused.