PDA

View Full Version : 17-inch All Season tires for the Abarth

Armchair Bronco
08-17-2013, 02:57 PM
I live near Seattle so if I buy an Abarth I'll need some different tires for the winter. I prefer the 17-inch rims, but the dealer said I'd get better winter and light snow results with 16-inch tires.

To minimize costs I was thinking of just getting some good high performance all season tires and using them in the winter then swap back to the summer tires when things warm up.

Is this a reasonable compromise?

DesmosDromos
08-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Sure, but you'll pay to mount and balance tires twice a year. If you don't need to drive in really heavy snow, high performance all-season tires might be a good compromise instead of switching back and forth. Either that or just get some cheap, maybe just steel, 16" wheels to mount winter tires on and swap wheels each season.

wilbmeister
08-17-2013, 03:25 PM
I have great snow tires on 17" rims. They are Bridgestone Blizzaks and they perform very well. Others have had good luck with some Pirelli winter tires. I think they were 17's.

Jjm4life
08-17-2013, 03:36 PM
I drove through a fairly rough New England winter on my summer wheels, lowered ride height ( i bottom out everywhere) and crappy 16 inch oem tires. I cant imagine Seattle is nearly as bad

Haring
08-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm thinking of just keeping the 17s too. My thought was going with All Seasons. I had no issues with all seasons on my Sport with its 16s. Here in the DC area we cant really tell how much snow we will get.

NTB has the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. Would rather have something thats higher mileage since ill mostly just be commuting and not doing autocrosses.

Armchair Bronco
08-18-2013, 12:05 AM
What would you guys recommend for some great all season tires that are still fun to drive (no race tracks for me either) but that also do well in HEAVY rain and the occasional snow storm? I agree that swapping and balancing tires twice a year may not be the most cost effective approach.

But if I had to pick between the 2 rim sizes, I will take the 17's.

jguerdat
08-18-2013, 08:21 AM
I bought a set of Ciao 17s with Kumho Ecsta 4X tires as the highest performance in the right size. I would have preferred the Continental DWS but sizes suck. Not the best A/S tire but there's not much choice. You could go with 16s and use the diameter of the 17s to broaden the choices but then there's the extra sidewall height that would likely soften handling some....

DuckDodgers
08-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Get some inexpensive 16" rims and REAL snow tires. All season will not help that much in any real snow...plus that's saves mounting and balancing. Tire Rack packages start around $825...just saying.

jguerdat
08-18-2013, 03:16 PM
He said he's in Seattle which isn't known as a snow belt. A/S tires are fine, just as they are for me in Rochester, NY which IS in a snow belt. My use doesn't require snow tires although they could occasionally be useful. His usage would be colder temps and water, maybe some snow, which A/S will handle well enough. Since both his and my driving would typically be on dry or damp/wet pavement rather than unplowed roads, dedicated snow tires would be superfluous and not handle as well.

Different strokes and all that but road conditions also play into the decision process...

Haring
08-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Just read through all the reviews at Tire Rack for the few All Season's available for our 17's. Not impressed, but it's probably like these forums where only the negative comments get posted and there's probably 100+ people per each tire that love them.

BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S (W-Speed Rated)
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid
Firehawk Wide Oval AS (H- or V-Speed Rated)
General G-MAX AS-03
Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105
Kumho Ecsta AST
Kumho Ecsta 4X
SumitomHTR A/S P01 (W-Speed Rated)

and the Cooper Zeon RS3-A at NTB/Merchants didn't have any ratings but on consumer reports website they got good reviews.

NORCAL SS
08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
im running the bfg g force ta 215 40 17. over 1.25 inches wider than stock they are great.

Saxonite
08-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Michelin has a new pilot sport all season that just came out. Form what I have read its suppose to be as good as most summer tires and still have great wet weather performance. They have it in our size but I believe the speed rating drops from over 168 to over 149 which shouldn't be an issue.

jguerdat
08-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Hmmm. Not sure which one you're referring to but nothing in our sizes listed on Tirerack...

laitsabr
08-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I was at Discount Tires last Friday and heard about the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3 that just came out in FIAT 500 sizes.

DuckDodgers
08-25-2013, 12:19 PM
OK, let's review a couple of things.

1) All season tires are seriously compromised in terms of ice and snow. They work "better" than non-M+S rated tires, but they really aren't meant for real snow. basically they meet the RMA/RAC criteria that demand self-cleaning tread and above-average traction in muddy or very light snowy conditions.

2) In rain and snow, wide tires are bad vs being good in the dry. The wide section of the tire enhances aquaplaning in water and causes the tire to ride up on snow and ice rather than cutting through. A narrow tire provides much better performance in the wet and snow.

3) The universal recommendation for snow tires is a dedicated set of inexpensive rims that are resistant to impact and corrosion. These rims should be a size smaller than your dry weather tires and have a larger sidewall height. The reasons for this are multiple: the narrower and taller tires cuts through water and ice/snow more easily, the extra rims allow the selection of the smaller tire, the extra rims also allow keeping the tires mounted on both sets, the extra rims can be stronger to resist damage from concealed hazards, and the extra rims will take the cosmestic beating that winter delivers.

In summary, if you get regular snow, get some dedicated snow tires and rims.

Haring
08-25-2013, 07:54 PM
For me, unless it's a bad storm which I'd probably stay home from work anyways, I don't see a need for dedicated snow tires driving in the slush of paved roads. I'm sure others are like me where we just need tires would work no matter what the weather is.

mneuman916
08-25-2013, 09:07 PM
For me, unless it's a bad storm which I'd probably stay home from work anyways, I don't see a need for dedicated snow tires driving in the slush of paved roads. I'm sure others are like me where we just need tires would work no matter what the weather is.

Agreed. I'm not spending the money for a set of tires that are only useful for maybe 3-7 days out of 365.

BillE
08-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Agreed. I'm not spending the money for a set of tires that are only useful for maybe 3-7 days out of 365.

.....I'm sure others are like me where we just need tires would work no matter what the weather is.

Good thread topic. We recently moved to a smaller condo with no separate storage. And I don't desire to rent space somewhere nor do I even intend to deal with multiple tires and wheels.

When it comes time to replace our original Pirelli 3-season tires, I'll be looking at this thread again hoping to find good year-round solution info.

Cheers :)