PDA

View Full Version : US GQ Edition set for next year

Andree
08-17-2013, 01:46 PM
2014 Fiat 500C GQ Edition revealed [video]

"This special edition of the 500C can be distinguished by its revised front fascia featuring larger air intakes and five-spoke 16-inch alloy wheels with a Hyper Nero finish and Rosso center caps."

"Available in Nero Puro (straight black), Bianco (white) and Granito Lucente (granite crystal), the 2014 Fiat 500C GQ Edition will reach dealerships early next year."

Article, video, some photos:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/113081761571/2014-fiat-500c-gq-edition-revealed-video

Loving the black with subtle white accents interior. White inner portion on the steering wheel, with a white stripe on the front seats. Insert on the seat is suede looking. Dual exhaust, very Abarth/Turbo looking. Black lighting surrounds.

I guess the forum will need a new section. LOL. How about a Special Editions section? I'm thinking the Prima, Gucci, and GQ for now.

JoeB
08-17-2013, 02:08 PM
That's an..interesting..marketing decision. GQ is technically a "men's magazine", and the car with Abarth looks and manual transmission is aimed at them, but I don't see many guys wanting a GQ car. Women, either. It's nice, though; I like the Bianco/Nero treatment.

Andree
08-17-2013, 04:49 PM
That's an..interesting..marketing decision. GQ is technically a "men's magazine", and the car with Abarth looks and manual transmission is aimed at them, but I don't see many guys wanting a GQ car. Women, either. It's nice, though; I like the Bianco/Nero treatment.

It will have the same audience as the Gucci.

Various subsets of the general population. Artsy, designer, decorator, retail management, fashion. Guys and gals who actually DRESS for work. Suits, dresses. The guy/gal who wears a lot of black/white. People concerned with brands, labels, appearances. People who like the look of the Turbo or Abarth but don't need the horsepower. No idea what the exhaust sounds like on the GQ, but it will not be as loud, is my guess.

I'd like to see it with white seats and a black stripe, with the white exterior. I suppose the insert would still need to be black though.

Haring
08-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Looks like an Abarth Cabrio with new seat covers and the Turbo badge on the front and Turbo lights. It seems like FIAT just sits around mixing parts on cars and then calls them new editions. Kinda disappointing. Wish they'd produce something that as we drive by the dealerships and see one sitting there we'd be like "i gotta turn around, they have a XX edition in stock...wow!"

Corrnaus
08-17-2013, 05:11 PM
They didnt want to call it the Fiat 500 GQ Abarth. You get everything in Abarth with FIAT badging. Lets start getting some 695s and compitenzione editions across the pond

500ways
08-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Another rearrangement of parts. I can't say that I necessarily agree with this strategy at this point. It's "Edition" overkill. I get the premise - increase scope, awareness and reach - in order to sell more units. I don't think the methodology works for the US market.

I think consumers are fine with the offerings as they exist at this point for the regular 500. There are more than enough iterations. Instead of "the flavor of the month" strategy, I would recommend engine mixing and matching. I believe sales are being lost because of that. For example, let's take this edition. It targets a niche within a niche. It's too narrow. What expands choice is being able to buy a Pop with the turbo engine. Sales are being lost because some buyers don't feel there is enough power, but are fine with the amenities of the Pop. Yes, the T answers the power question, but folks may not care for the fact that the T is offered in just a sporty trim with a manual tranny only. This isn't Europe.

On the other hand, there are buyers that are fine with the standard engine, but may want the "look" of the T. This will allow consumers to truly build their 500. Look at the Honda Accord. There are many trim levels and engine choices within the trim levels. The 500 will never achieve those sales levels, but may do more business by following that thinking.

Just my 2 cents.

Andree
08-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I didn't realize until another article that the GQ had the Abarth engine:

"...the 500c’s 1.4-liter engine’s output remains at 160 hp and 170 lb-ft of torque. A five-speed manual drives this power to the front wheels."
http://wot.motortrend.com/new-2014-fiat-500c-gq-edition-is-for-the-modern-man-395781.html

Agree with mix/match parts pointed out by 500ways.

Over in another thread, I was told it was too easy to lengthen the 500 and make it a four-door:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11372-I-still-want-this-4-5-door-version&p=624007&viewfull=1#post624007

Meanwhile, we have the GQ. It's not substantially different from the Abarth, anymore than the Gucci is substantially different from the regular Lounge.

I'd do the four door like the old Omni. A bunch of engine choices, throw in a diesel too. Order it the way you like it. No one dealer will have all the options.

Some will go for the most economical model, with the high mpg, low emissions, etc. Some will go for the pocket rocket GLHS sleeper model, with a zippy turbo. And all the variations in between.

If Fiat really wants more people to buy it's cars, specifically men, they should look into the two best looking four door variations in my thread.

I can see men going for this version, especially if it was created as a luxury Fiat:
http://www.cwwcardesign.com/cars/fiat_500_weekend.html

That I see as a "man car".

MADNESSLuckyJay
08-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Convertible GQ model shown!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEqnliP0gOo&feature=share&list=UUBExNcVNg8 v69Rl8oaKDhlw

NGEN
08-19-2013, 12:55 PM
It will sell and I'm sure they won't make too many of them. As Andree stated, this is tailored to a more "metro" guy. I'll be interested in seeing one of these in public - the studio in the Woodlands here won't have a problem selling one or two.

Andree
08-19-2013, 03:06 PM
I posted about it in the News section:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11402-US-GQ-Edition-set-for-next-year

Did you know it has the Abarth engine? I didn't realize it until I read a second article and by then some people had posted it has the Abarth engine.

Sometimes I think Fiat likes to confuse people. Like when I was looking for the UK Pink! edition, and didn't want the Barbie edition. They aren't the same. Not to be confused with the US Pink Ribbon edition, which isn't pink at all. But if it had been, it would have sold like crazy, especially with the Ivory accent inside. Instead they made it white or silver, with a pink stripe with a ribbon at the end, and the interior was black (BLACK!) with pink stitching. If they'd just done an all ivory interior (including seat bottoms) with the light pink non-metallic exterior...sigh. And a pink dashboard.

cmj912
08-20-2013, 09:04 AM
I think it is great to be confused. It means there's choices. I, for one, think it is a nice styling treatment. I am not sure I would want a magazine logo embossed on my seats, but hey. Most customers will probably just want a convertible, walk in, see that one, and buy it. I doubt the association with the magazine or lifestyle is much of a draw; it seems more about the aesthetics. Like me: I saw it, said "that's cool-looking"...but it could have been the MAXIM edition or the Hurley Skateboards or Fiat 500 Burton with snowboard and rack. It was just about the packaging.
I watch the Panda models with great interest. One of my favorites was the Panda Alessi, styled with cues from a kitchen design firm. A car that harkens coffeemaker? (Shrug) I thought it was cute. It had some neat features like 'whiteboard' dry-erase sun visors and dash panels and the orange and white "steam" colored interior treatment.
FIAT has for some time been very active with various special editions and tends to keep 'em coming. I'm glad for in for some of it.

Evelyn Salt
08-27-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm ready to get one NOW !!! In White .

Evelyn Salt
08-27-2013, 09:02 PM
"People who like the look of the Turbo or Abarth but don't need the horsepower...."
I read it has the same horsepower as the Abarth.
I don't think it looks "Artsy, as the Gucci does.
I think it looks rather subdued, and nice. I want one.