PDA

View Full Version : Gas cap and Chrome fuel replacement

Jps
08-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Ive seen a few photos of the chrome replacement cap but never open. I assume it operates as it looks and has no removable cap?
I removed the strap that held my other cap so I or the attendant would be forced to not dangle in on the side of the car. We are technically not allowed to fill up on our own here in NJ. I like the look of the chrome fuel door, just want to confirmed its hinged.

Thanks

Dwaynek
08-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes it is hinged and easy to install

cmj912
08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Ive seen a few photos of the chrome replacement cap but never open. I assume it operates as it looks and has no removable cap?
I removed the strap that held my other cap so I or the attendant would be forced to not dangle in on the side of the car. We are technically not allowed to fill up on our own here in NJ. I like the look of the chrome fuel door, just want to confirmed its hinged.

Thanks

Bummer. I understand the attendants would probably let it just hang by the strap, but the cap is designed to hook onto the fuel door when filling up just FYI.

2Cool
08-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Stock the cap hangs on the door. With the chrome cap it just dangles, no provision to secure it to the fuel door.

500ways
08-15-2013, 10:32 AM
This^^^^^

Wolfie
08-15-2013, 12:35 PM
We are technically not allowed to fill up on our own here in NJ.

Another stupid bylaw I guess ...
Personally, I avoid gas stations with attendants :Rolleyes:

hownowcb
08-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I can't remember who, but some have complained about the poor quality of some chrome fuel doors, complaining that the plating wasn't durable, and began flaking off quite rapidly. I would follow up on that if I were contemplating a chrome fuel door.

dsmithpdx
08-15-2013, 12:53 PM
We aren't allowed to pump our own gas here in Oregon, so I ALWAYS jump out of my car and open the fuel door and remove the cap myself before the attendant walks up. I also stand there and supervise him/her so make sure they don't drip fuel all over my car when removing the nozzle. :Rolleyes:

I also want to get the chrome fuel door. My dad has one, and I really think it adds a lot to the look of the car.

500ways
08-15-2013, 02:15 PM
We aren't allowed to pump our own gas here in Oregon, so I ALWAYS jump out of my car and open the fuel door and remove the cap myself before the attendant walks up. I also stand there and supervise him/her so make sure they don't drip fuel all over my car when removing the nozzle. :Rolleyes:

I also want to get the chrome fuel door. My dad has one, and I really think it adds a lot to the look of the car.

Same here, I have the locking gas cap as well. That forces (lol) me to get out of the car to unlock it and stand there until they are done and ensure that they don't drip gas on my car. I am in NJ and we don't have self-serve.

I have the chrome fuel door on my car as well. Looks great even after almost 2 years with it on the car! No flaking or anything.

SeaDawg
08-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Another stupid bylaw I guess ...
Personally, I avoid gas stations with attendants :Rolleyes:

Paradoxically, gas prices are lower in NJ than surrounding states from what I've seen.

SeaDawg
08-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Stock the cap hangs on the door. With the chrome cap it just dangles, no provision to secure it to the fuel door.

But the length of the lanyard on the stock cap allows the main part of it to just clear the lip of the fender so it doesn't actually rest on the paint...at least the one on my 500 does. Keeps you from leaving your cap at your last fill up.

SeaDawg
08-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I can't remember who, but some have complained about the poor quality of some chrome fuel doors, complaining that the plating wasn't durable, and began flaking off quite rapidly. I would follow up on that if I were contemplating a chrome fuel door.

My car is garaged when not in use, but my chrome fuel door is almost 2 years old and it looks like new. Even the little black decal with the 500 cutout in the center is still on it.

GetsThruBuckner
08-15-2013, 07:44 PM

Way to be a nudge :stickpoke:. I like it

cmj912
08-16-2013, 06:24 PM
It is so weird that there are places you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.

sk8ace
08-16-2013, 08:21 PM
I hate driving through NJ for that reason... lol.

Tweak
08-16-2013, 09:39 PM

I think the same, I've never been to a place you can have it pumped for you, only one place I know of even offers that in my area.

Thomas
08-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Is it lockable? Does anyone have one with a Nero? Am wondering how the chrome would look with the black paint.

SeaDawg
08-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Is it lockable? Does anyone have one with a Nero? Am wondering how the chrome would look with the black paint.

No, the chrome outside door is NOT lockable, however, there are locking gas caps, but you then lose your lanyard that keeps the cap tethered to the car and the locking caps are not built like Fort Knox.

Andree
08-18-2013, 04:51 PM

I had no idea there were still places that DID pump gas for the customer. I can't remember the last time I experienced full serve.

500ways
08-18-2013, 05:10 PM
I had no idea there were still places that DID pump gas for the customer. I can't remember the last time I experienced full serve.

I used to live in Pennsylvania more than 10 years ago. I remember gas stations had the option of pumping it yourself or having the attendant pump it for you. In New Jersey, the ONLY option is that an attendant pump it for you. I am not a fan, but it is the law.

The only time most attendants let you slide is when you are filling up your motorcycle. They know bike owners prefer to do it themselves to definitely avoid gas spilling on their prized possessions.

onederer
08-18-2013, 06:01 PM
They know bike owners prefer to do it themselves to definitely avoid gas spilling on their prized possessions.

and by prized possessions, you mean their testes, right? yelrotflmao-vi