PDA

View Full Version : 500L Living 7 passenger in US 2014

Andree
08-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Fiat to offer two spinoff models based on the 500L for 2014

"The 500L Living is designed to be a family car, and will offer the flexibility of third-row seating, perhaps a surprise in a car this small. But the 500L is about the size of a small wagon, being 171.2 inches long, and a very tall wagon at that. The 500L Living will be the most compact 5 + 2-seat MPV in its category, Fiat claims. The 500L Living won't be short on cargo space either, as it will offer 22.5 cubic feet of space in the back. Perhaps the most notable difference between the standard 500L and the Living is that the latter is 8.2 inches longer than the standard 500L.

The 500L Living will start at $24,995 and will be available with a six-speed Euro Twin Automatic Clutch Transmission with the AutoStick feature."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130814/carnews/130819934#ixzz2bykajUbR
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

Woo hoo! I know a lot of people were hoping it would come!

Fiat500USA
08-14-2013, 10:39 PM
The title is "Fiat to offer two spinoff models based on the 500L for 2014" But there is a problem with that story because they are saying the Trekking will be offerd in 2014 It is already offered now.

Andree
08-15-2013, 01:48 PM
The title is "Fiat to offer two spinoff models based on the 500L for 2014" But there is a problem with that story because they are saying the Trekking will be offerd in 2014 It is already offered now.

Yup, I picked that up too. Remember the regular Fiats are still in model year 2013. The 500L is a 2014 model year vehicle, and there is still another year (time period) for the 500L Living to be included as a 2014 model year vehicle.

And the Trekking came in "late" to the US.

They say "home market" which I assume is Italy, and both of those were revealed in Italy recently. Here's the whole quote from article that inspired the title of the article:
"Fiat unveiled two new versions of its popular 500L in its home market a couple months ago, the 500L Living and 500L Trekking editions, both designed for different audiences"

They're showing UK cars.

And talking about the US.

I made a couple of posts when the Trekking was available...
In Italy: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10353-500L-Trekking-Italian-style
In UK: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10600-500L-Trekking-ready-to-order-in-UK

And the 500L Living debuted in June as well. There's the "couple of months" claim verified for Italy, the home market.

So, it's a confusing article, and the claim of the 500L Living coming to the US could be incorrect. But the rest checks out.

Andree
08-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Another article on the 500L Living for the US with video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/13/2015-fiat-500l-living-first-drive-review-video/

"We've explored every offering of the Fiat 500 family meant for the United States, plus all of the Abarth variations. But the 500 now also comes super-sized; we recently attended a drive of the larger 2014 Fiat 500L people-mover and its Trekking edition, and found them both to be generally enjoyable. We Americans, however, are suckers for anything that comes in an even bigger size than Large, so witness this Fiat 500L Living, which will be landing on our shores sometime in late 2014."

cosmicfrontier
09-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Oh, this is great news! I can't wait for this little car that seats 7 to arrive!

Andree
09-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Oh, this is great news! I can't wait for this little car that seats 7 to arrive!

Hey there, welcome to the forum, come on in, pull up a chair!

I hope those reports are true as I think it would be a very popular vehicle. Many of the vehicles out there that seat seven are MASSIVE TANKS. The Fiat is 171.2 inches in length and starts at $24,995. Four thousand dollars less than the Honda Odyssey starting price, and it is 202.9 inches long. Almost a yard longer than the Fiat. That's huge.

Then there's the mpg: http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33952&id=33717

I used this years 500L, which should have the same engine as the 500L Living model.

The new 500L Living will become a favorite for many, with all those factors considered. And it certainly looks a lot more fun!

Tweak
09-19-2013, 12:05 AM

Welcome to the forum.

mkaresh
09-24-2013, 01:00 PM
As the father of three children who likes how smaller cars handle, I'm always happy when a compact 7-seater is offered. They're far more common in Europe. The Kia Rondo went away and the Ford Grand C-Max never arrived, so Fiat could have the segment to itself.

who_the
01-10-2015, 07:58 PM
As of January 2015 the 500L Living has yet to materialize in the US. I've found no subsequent references after these, and Fiat did not include the Living model in their MY 2015 specifications PDF.

Is the 500L Living no longer in Fiat's US plans?

Andree
01-10-2015, 11:01 PM
I do not know, I haven't seen anything about it since the article either. I'm guessing it will be postponed at least a year, at best. Er, until 2016. There are supposed to be improvements/updates for the 500L in 2015. I'd guess the 500L larger version would come after that.

bryanintowson
01-11-2015, 11:49 AM
The fact that they had a lot of trouble unloading the current type of 500L's might lead to the thought that the don't want to crowd the market with a variant of the car that's not selling well.

Fiat500USA
01-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Doesn't seem likely. Even back when that story came out it didn't sound right because from what I heard at the time there wasn't a lot of support bringing the Living here. The talk was that Americans are reluctant to have 7-seater cars that size. It's like the perpetual Panda rumor. There isn't a strong business case for either so far.

Andree
01-11-2015, 07:16 PM
The fact that they had a lot of trouble unloading the current type of 500L's might lead to the thought that the don't want to crowd the market with a variant of the car that's not selling well.

Yeah, but... (a good response to just about anything, LOL)

The DDCT wasn't favored here. The burp with the transmission in the cold was a problem. And then the air bag problem that caused a stop sale.

Early adopters WERE eager to get a 500L, and many were thrilled with the vehicle and have had no problems. But, those who have problems have tended to have repeated problems.

Putting in the usual automatic that people are used to will help. It will be mighty hard to overcome the first year negative publicity.

There's a thought that the longer Living version would have been the best choice to bring to market in the US. Then it becomes the problem solver, because of it's extra pop-up seats. This makes a huge difference, and would set apart the vehicle from the plethora of other 5-seat passenger vehicles.

All of the vehicles the 500L has been vaguely compared to only seat five. Nissan Juke, Kia Soul, Mini Countryman, and even vehicles like the Honda Fit. Anyone wanting to seat more has to bypass every single one of those vehicles. And none of those vehicles has a 7-seater variation. Not now, and as far as I know, not in the works.

Fiat seems to want to sell "sexy" and the aspirational models. When so many people want the practical models. Like the 500L Living and the Panda, esp the 4wd Panda.

I would so bring both those to the US, giving buyers a real choice of vehicles on the Fiat/Alfa lots. Along with the new convertibles that we hope will be coming to both Fiat and Alfa, and the 500x, there would be all kinds of wonderful choices. To really zero in on your needs and desires.

Fiat500USA
01-11-2015, 11:30 PM
That is an interesting point about the others being just 5 seaters and a 7 seater would or could be a selling point. I want all the models here too, but the amount of money needed to be spent just to bring 1 model over is staggering according to the head of product marketing. They have to have a solid business case for everything.

Fiat is being very methodical with their offerings and once the 500X is here, we'll see how the strategy is paying off. Hopefully there will be room for the more "practical" cars like the Panda eventually.

Andree
01-12-2015, 09:59 AM
That is an interesting point about the others being just 5 seaters and a 7 seater would or could be a selling point. I want all the models here too, but the amount of money needed to be spent just to bring 1 model over is staggering according to the head of product marketing. They have to have a solid business case for everything.

Fiat is being very methodical with their offerings and once the 500X is here, we'll see how the strategy is paying off. Hopefully there will be room for the more "practical" cars like the Panda eventually.

So I checked the measurements, it doesn't show the leg room, etc for the rear most seats in the 500L MPW, but says they are for people up to 1.65 meters tall. That's about 5'4". My height.
http://www.fiat.co.uk/uk/fiat-500l-mpw/discover/design-comfort

This should easily cover most kids. Maybe around the same size as the back seats in our regular 500?

Let me ask this, would the longer version of the same vehicle be considered a different version? Or not? It's otherwise the same car, same engines, interiors, etc.

In the UK they have the 500L, with the Trekking listed separately, and the 500L MPW listed separately. http://www.fiat.co.uk/uk/showroom

But I don't think Fiat had to pay anything extra to have the Trekking trim included in the 500L main group.