PDA

View Full Version : 500L MultiAir Kaput

Ted Enderle
08-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Two-week-old 500L with 525 miles on the odometer. Cylinder #1 MultiAir "brick" failed. No dealer will sell FIAT of Tacoma (Washington) the part. Factory says part is on backorder nationally. Car will be MIA until further notice. Is this any way to run an automobile company? You bet it is!

Thanks for listening.

Ted Enderle

Fiat500USA
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Sorry to hear that happened. We have aa Fiat rep here as a member. His name is Fiat Cares. Send him a PM and he will help you.

Andree
08-14-2013, 05:01 PM
What is a "brick"?

Here is a link to FiatCares profile:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares

FiatCares
08-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Two-week-old 500L with 525 miles on the odometer. Cylinder #1 MultiAir "brick" failed. No dealer will sell FIAT of Tacoma (Washington) the part. Factory says part is on backorder nationally. Car will be MIA until further notice. Is this any way to run an automobile company? You bet it is!

Thanks for listening.

Ted Enderle

Sorry to hear of this inconvenience... please send me a PM with your VIN. I will check out the order and see if I cant get it moving along for you.

Ted Enderle
08-14-2013, 06:49 PM
"Brick" is a colloquial term for the unit that controls the variable intake valve timing on the 1.4L MultiAir Turbo. Each cylinder has ne.

ciddyguy
08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
What is a "brick"?

Here is a link to FiatCares profile:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares

As Ted Enderle says, each cylinder has a electro hydraulic module that regulates the valve timing for the intake valves so they can be infinitely variable, according the the oil pressure at that particular time and place, relative to other factors, such as your accelerator.

Without it, it is like having a cam shaft going, and believe you me, that isn't what you want to happen as with many cars you risk damaging a valve as most overhead cam motors are interference, meaning the valves run the risk of being hit by the pistons when either a camshaft fails, or in this case a module, or simply the timing belt breaks. Cars that aren't interference won't have this issue as there is a gap between these two components so no damage occurs, just replace the belt, adjust the timing and off you go.

Now, I don't recall if the 1.4 is interference, or not off hand.

Andree
08-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks, gents!

SeaDawg
08-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Now, I don't recall if the 1.4 is interference, or not off hand.

It IS interference.

500ways
08-14-2013, 10:48 PM

Thanks for listening.

Ted Enderle

Huh?? :wtf:

Tweak
08-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Welcome to the forum, sorry you are having problems so early on but hopefully they fix it and you're problem free going forward.

trevc
08-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hear you have had this issue.
Being an interference engine and such low mileage the right thing to do would be an engine swap under warranty and hopefully they will.

Ted Enderle
08-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Hopefully I dodged the bullet on this one. Service rep didn't mention engine damage other than the failed part. He didn't expect the repair to take long once the part is received, which may mean no valve problems. Perhaps the piston was on the down stroke when the actuator failed. My fingers are crossed.

Ted Enderle
08-20-2013, 06:00 PM
The pantomime continues... part received from Italy and it's broken, says the FIAT of Tacoma service rep. Another one ordered. Who broke it, I wonder...

jabird101
08-20-2013, 06:49 PM
The pantomime continues... part received from Italy and it's broken, says the FIAT of Tacoma service rep. Another one ordered. Who broke it, I wonder...

I have been waiting 6 weeks on the bezel for around the climate controls. Mine was broken when the dealer let my car floor fill up with water in a flooding storm and then the body shop broke it while removing it. They ordered one and it was shipped broken. They ordered a second and it was broken the same way. They then called the Fiat warehouse and had then check the rest of the stock. All of them are broken the same way. I also had less than 300 miles when this happened.

As far as Fiat Cares, keep in mind these folks do not work for Chrysler, they actually work for a company called Aditya Birla Minacs or Minacs for short. This is an outsourcing company owned by "out of the USA" interests. I used to work for them In Farmington Hills, MI where the Chrysler folks sat. I was a contractor in the Internal IT team. The reason this is important is they (Minacs) gets paid a contract rate and then a bonus for keeping thing "under control". This means the more they can keep things from escalating the more they will try to stall you until you work things out for yourself the more they get paid. it is of a benefit for them to close things as quickly as possible. So they usually tell you that this is a dealer issue and they are all independently owned and there is nothing they can do. Or they just stall until you do all the leg work and pick up parts from a dealer and take them to your dealer yourself. The less that actual Chrysler folks have to hear from the end user, the better it is for them.

As a side note, This is also the same company that answers the OnStar calls in on of their Ontario, Canada call centers. Now those folks are good. They also do all of the Honda promotional materials like those personalized service sale flyers that you dealer sends. IT is amazing when you live and work in the auto industry (in an IT capacity) in Detroit as I did for 10 years, how little the car companies actually do themselves beyond assembly.