PDA

View Full Version : Hub question

lammie200
08-14-2013, 12:10 PM
I haven't even removed a wheel yet (or a wheel cap for that matter), but I plan to do so in the near future. I have a quick question though. The answer would just help me with my thought process for adding my spacers.

It looks like the hubs are attached with two machine bolts. I have seen photos of hubs with typical hex head machine bolts, and photos like the one here that show machine bolts with spike heads. I know that the spikes will hit holes in the stock rims if they are there. Are the Lounge/Sport/Pop hubs attached with the regular hex heads or the spike head type? I am guessing that I will need to either grind off the spikes or replace them regular hex heads to fit through the holes in my spacers. Does that sound right to the people that have added spacers?

Also, thanks to Road Race for the photo. Hope that they don't mind that I reposted it here for my use.

SeaDawg
08-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't have spacers on my 2012 Sport, but the Sparco wheels required the removal of the mounting 'spikes' you are referencing in order to mount my white wheels. They just unscrew. I don't have any of them or any replacements installed in their place. The longer lug bolts required for mounting your wheels with spacers will hold everything together just fine

BigDaddySRT
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Are you talking about the Hubs, or the Brake Rotors?

The Hubs are not held into the Knuckles with bolts... the Hubs are Pressed into a Bearing inside the Knuckle and use a Lock Ring.

lammie200
08-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Are you talking about the Hubs, or the Brake Rotors?

The Hubs are not held into the Knuckles with bolts... the Hubs are Pressed into a Bearing inside the Knuckle and use a Lock Ring.

I guess that it is actually the brake rotor. I hear what SeaDawg is saying, but I am a little reluctant to remove the bolts that hold the rotor to the hub and just rely on the lug bolts. Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference to remove them, but it probably would be a little less convenient of having the rotors shift slightly (however unlikely) when someone removes a wheel. The again, maybe it is necessary and standard procedure to remove them for some aftermarket wheels to fit? Replacing the spike bolts with regular hex heads might just be the way to go, but additional feedback is welcome.

Fiat500USA
08-14-2013, 05:57 PM
The little spike was there to help line up the holes when you put a wheel on.. It has been used on Fiats for many decades and was one of the cool things about working on the cars because it kept the rotor from spinning on the hub when mounting a wheel.. It is useful on traditional steel wheels but not really on alloys. Old time Fiat owners will remember that the old cars used one spike and one shallow headed bolt. These you can remove as many cars like Audi don't use them. You could get some shallow bolts if you want to, but it is probably not neccesary and I've driven for years without them with no problem. I bet you can get the original special shallow bolts from Midwest Bayless. The Fiat shop I used to work at had 100s laying around back on the day.

lammie200
08-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks Fiat500USA. I think that I will take one off this weekend and see what I find locally. I have had pretty good success here in SF finding metric hardware in the past. Seems like I have three choices:

1. Ditch the bolts entirely.
2. Grind off the spikes.
3. Replace the bolts with conventional hex heads preferably hardened.

I'll try #3 first and see how it goes.