PDA

View Full Version : Rattle in dash

Stacey Willard
08-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi all

Me again, no transmission problems this time, but I have a rattle that's started in the dash and seems to be getting worse. It only did it on fairly bumpy roads before, but now it's doing it on anything but completely flat roads.

One of my fears with buying a new car was rattles in the dash. My last car was so solidly built that nothing rattled anywhere in the interior, even at over 9 years old. The car I had before had a terrible rattle and it almost drove me insane :)

I've emailed the service advisor I worked with before to get his advice. Just wondering if anyone else has had any rattling issues in the dash? Am I expecting too much for month old car to not have a rattle?

Andree
08-14-2013, 10:39 AM
I had a 2009 Honda Fit, it was the first year of the new body style. Several of us (not everyone) had the dreaded rattle, the source of which turned out to be the glove box. Specifically the glove box latch, if I remember correctly.

I don't put a lot of miles on cars, and I think it happened within the first 600 miles or so for me.

Took the car in, the glove box was replaced. Nary a rattle after that. Had the car four years.

No idea why some of us had the problem and others didn't. Or why replacing it fixed the problem as the new one appeared to be identical to the old one. Figure there had to have been a bad batch of latches.

They can track down the rattle via stethoscope (or something like one), with one person driving and the passenger listening around with the tool to find the area making the rattle (if it isn't already obvious). They can then look at the parts on their parts diagram to see what is in there and could possibly be the source of the sound, before tearing apart the dash.

Do you have an idea where the rattle is coming from? Because they'll ask you. LOL. And you'll want to try to describe the type of rattle. Is it squeaky? Plastic on plastic clacking? Metal to metal? When does it occur, how often, etc. Anything you can provide can help them to reproduce and locate the problem and get it fixed.

Stacey Willard
08-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Yea, it sounds like it's coming from the dash near the front driver side pillar between the door and windshield. It's in that general area , at least that's what it sounds like. It sounds like plastic hitting plastic. I'm going to open up the hood tonight after work to see if there's a wire or something that may have come loose there too.

Che Dog
08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Yes, I've just developed one in my month-old Easy, and it makes me crazy, too.

Let me know what you discover; I haven't had time to go after it forensically as you seem to be doing yet….

Andree
08-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Yes, I've just developed one in my month-old Easy, and it makes me crazy, too.

Let me know what you discover; I haven't had time to go after it forensically as you seem to be doing yet….

Yours may be the identical problem or completely different. So you should try to come up with your own list.

Questions to consider (among the million questions possible, LOL)

Does it make a sound when you're just idling, not driving anywhere?

Is the sound more pronounced when making a corner? When going over a bump, pothole?

Is there a difference in the sound when you are (or the car is) shifting? Or does it make more of a sound when accelerating/braking than it does when just driving a steady speed?

For instance, I hear "resistant" sounds when rolling up my windows. Something is definitely rubbing on something. And it appears it may be near the front of the doors, due to the friction marks on the interior of the window. I see the friction marks because I haven't done my windows inside yet and live in a foggy/humid area. There's always a build up on the exterior from moisture and dust settling on the moisture. The interior gets a little bit whenever I open the windows on the foggy days.

But it ONLY happens if the car has been sitting in the heat (sun). Heat expands things, and I'm sure it's heat-related. I haven't taken the car in to the Studio yet.

There's definitely a correlation between heat and the window sound. That doesn't equal causation, but it's probable.

I also have a squeaky brake, only going forward, only after the car has been parked overnight, only until I've reached the end of the sloping driveway (braking the way down). Then it's fine. No squeak thereafter. I'm assuming it's the overnight moisture translating into the rust (common) on the brakes.

It doesn't do it when backing out of my parking spot, but I'm not hitting the brakes as firmly.

It's kind of fun to figure out what might be causing the problem and how to go about reproducing it. Logic puzzle.

cmj912
08-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Frustrating. Even more so when you realize that dealers, most of the time, have about as much idea about what is making the noise as you do.
Make sure that you can duplicate the concern - over and over - before taking the car in - and make sure that when you make the appointment you ask that the tech go with you into the car so you BOTH hear the noise.

Andree: one thing, my own observation, about the brake noise (many of us have it, including myself, in both FIATs) is that it could be related to the Hill Assist. I had one other car - an old Subaru - with Hill Assisted brakes and they seemed to love to 'grab' overnight and then stick first thing in the morning. Kind of like my eyelids when I'm tired.

If I wash the car with the brake set and then leave it for a while, say, overnight, the brakes make a definite snapping noise when one first drives off.

Andree
08-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Frustrating. Even more so when you realize that dealers, most of the time, have about as much idea about what is making the noise as you do.
Make sure that you can duplicate the concern - over and over - before taking the car in - and make sure that when you make the appointment you ask that the tech go with you into the car so you BOTH hear the noise.

Andree: one thing, my own observation, about the brake noise (many of us have it, including myself, in both FIATs) is that it could be related to the Hill Assist. I had one other car - an old Subaru - with Hill Assisted brakes and they seemed to love to 'grab' overnight and then stick first thing in the morning. Kind of like my eyelids when I'm tired.

If I wash the car with the brake set and then leave it for a while, say, overnight, the brakes make a definite snapping noise when one first drives off.

I used to get the brake caliper click, in the Honda and in my old Vdub.

I have a saying:

There's only one letter between a novice and a pro, and those letters are "h" and "d".
The novice says: "Huh! I wonder if it's supposed to do that?"
The pro says: "Duh! it's never/always supposed to do that!"

Since I'm the novice, I ask the pro about whatever my concern is. Once it's explained as being a normal, I can relax. Or it's explained as abnormal and it's fixed.

The best I can do is to try to describe the symptoms. The more time I spend on narrowing down the problem, the easier it may be for the problem to be repaired.

1. There's a rattle in my dash
2. There's a rattle in my dash that seems to come from the right side somewhere.
3. There's a rattle in my dash that seems to come from the right side that I've listened to on a stethoscope and have outlined the area with painter's tape as being the loudest area. It sounds like plastic to plastic clicking and this is what is sounds like as I recorded the sound. It does this starting at about 20 mph and going all the way to the speed limit and is more pronounced over pot holes and bumps in the road.

I don't think anyone does #3, but it would make it a lot easier to find and fix if the customer could be THAT specific about the noise and where the noise was coming from.

cgpiper
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I also have a rattle in the dash and it's coming from the instrument panel area. If I press in on the clear plastic over the speedo cluster it stops. An easy fix would be just to jam something in the gap between the clear plastic and the dash, but that's SO inelegant. I may end up doing that just to eliminate the annoying sound.

Stacey Willard
10-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I also have a rattle in the dash from the area between the pillar window and instrument panel. When that AND the hatch are rattling, it drives me insane.

Luv2byte
10-09-2013, 06:16 PM
I had a long drive today, at one point I turned down the radio & just listened to the car. Yup, rattle. Not consistent but there. If I hit a bump, rattle. If on rough freeway asphalt consistent rattle. Majority of the time it was quiet & not noticeable w radio on. It sounds like either in the driver window column of along outside edge of drivers side dash.

Luv2byte
10-09-2013, 06:16 PM
I also have a rattle in the dash and it's coming from the instrument panel area. If I press in on the clear plastic over the speedo cluster it stops. An easy fix would be just to jam something in the gap between the clear plastic and the dash, but that's SO inelegant. I may end up doing that just to eliminate the annoying sound.

I'll try that next time I am driving around.

Luv2byte
10-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Played around today. Pushed, touched...all over dash. I found that if I put palm of hand at lower right of driver side vent (left of steering wheel)rattle went away, move my hand, rattle came back. I did it probable 15 times.

Luv2byte
10-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Anyone try putting pressure on vent for the rattle?

FiatCares
10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Anyone try putting pressure on vent for the rattle?

There were others on a similar post where the studio did find that it was loose air conditioning/heating duct work causing the rattle. I think it would require the removal of the dash and replacing/readjusting the duct work to eliminate the rattle. But, in removing the dash, it make create new ones. Make sure the studio addresses all your concerns with it; no matter how small. Let me know if you need further assistance.