PDA

View Full Version : Post + Teenager = Ouch leads to "mini" Mini comparison

Merlperl
08-13-2013, 07:42 PM

So, first post... but have been trolling since I got my car in early June.

Let's get right to it shall we? Check the picture. My 16 year old daughter was on the wrong side of the pump at the gas station. Instead of pulling out of the station, turning around and coming back in she tried to three point it. Not good. Hit a post. She was going slowly (she says).

$2,700 in damage. New front Fascia, New quarter panel, rim repair, inter-cooler was tweaked a bit so that may need replacing.
Whatever, she's paying the deductible, and I should have it back Monday.

In the meantime...my rental is a red base 2013 Mini Cooper.

Never having driven one I thought it would be an interesting comparison (sort of) to drive one for a week. Having owned BMWs I find the Mini to be more refined than the Fiat, but it just seems...sterile. Something's missing from the driving experience and its not just the power. Its just kind of bland. I used to love the precision turn in and overall handling response of all of my BMWs even the 318, which was certainly under powered. But the driving experience was still engaging (maybe it was the 50/50 weight distribution that made you feel every direction change?). But the Mini has none of that. Not exciting at all. However, the interior styling and lighting is cool. And the visibility is very good compared to the Abarth.

Of course we all know that the Abarth has handling in spades, even without taking into consideration the power it has on tap.

But overall I guess I just prefer the "scrappy" nature of the Abarth to the refinement of the Mini! Which really shouldn't be the case, because I'm a grown assed man. Guys my age aren't supposed to take fun over refinement.

I miss my car!

Fiat500USA
08-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the forum and thanks for that "mini" review. Hey, there are plenty of guys that love the Abarth so we're in good company!

Tweak
08-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Lesson learned today...never let any drive your Abarth! :D

msjulie33
08-13-2013, 10:21 PM
I love my Fiat but.. my 06 JCW has plenty of character, handling and being supercharged, zoom too - it's 200+ horsepower in a not-too-much-bigger car than the Abarth.

That said, I often consider swapping it for an Abarth - I can't give up the 500c :) - cause the little Italian is so cool. The 2nd gen new MINIs have their following but it seems the first gen is just somehow more faithful to the original; scrappy, louder, really firm ride, etc... not surprised your rental was a bit boring..

KKaWing
08-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Mhmm a post about an Abarth hitting a post... ouchies :sorrow:

cmj912
08-14-2013, 08:34 AM
A friend of mine has an 07 MINI. While I did not drive it, riding in it reminds me of an old BMW except without the simplicity of the controls and displays. The interior LOOKS cool in the MINI, but those toggle switches all over the place would easily confuse me.
He says that though the car is fun to drive, one service visit was all it took to remove his wish to ever buy one again. The car is affordable, he says...but the service and maintenance are not. And if you think most MINI dealers are as enthusiastic and energetic and willing to help...well...moreso than FIAT studios anyway, then think again. The dealer around here might as well not be open when you go there since I have never seen a human inside or out.
There is some advantage to the Chrysler relationship in keeping small-car costs within American expectations. The thing about MINI is that most Americans feel like it is a small car so it should be reliable and cheap like a Yaris. When they find out it is just a bit more delicate and premium they suddenly no longer 'get it'.

Best of luck with your repairs.

trevc
08-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Ouch - looks like she nudged the post and then kept on going!

Merlperl
08-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Yeah Trev, I asked her about that. Too much damage to have come from a bump and stop. I think she was traumatized. I will leave her alone, let her pay for the deductible out of her paycheck (she'll have to put off her corn snake purchase for a while!), and hopefully she will learn.

She really is a very good driver but I think she was hurrying.

trevc
08-14-2013, 02:08 PM
It's how we learn best, from our mistakes. Or at least, it worked for me!
I did cry a little when I saw the pic. - hopefully they will do a good job fixing.

Yeah Trev, I asked her about that. Too much damage to have come from a bump and stop. I think she was traumatized. I will leave her alone, let her pay for the deductible out of her paycheck (she'll have to put off her corn snake purchase for a while!), and hopefully she will learn.

She really is a very good driver but I think she was hurrying.

Merlperl
08-15-2013, 05:16 PM
I know it looks ugly but...they're replacing the front grill and the quarterpanel with new pieces so it should come out great. Not sure what the plan is for the rim yet...

Tweak
08-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Not sure what the plan is for the rim yet...

Someone is in need of a wheel you say... my spare is way less damaged (small circle chip on spoke from rock).

:D