PDA

View Full Version : "Old guy" question about color

Joeremi
08-13-2013, 01:21 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but it's kinda driving me crazy. I'm trying to decide between a Nero Cabrio with an all-Nero cloth interior, and Bianco sunroof with Nero/Rosso leather and Bianco wheels. I dig the Essesse look of the Bianco car, but at 51-years-old I can't help wondering if it's a little too 'boy racer' for an old fart like me. Would you older folks stick with the more conservative approach, or go full-race bonkers with the Bianco?

Yiorgio Karampetsos
08-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Don't worry what people might think of you, get what you want, have fun.

lammie200
08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Personally I think that any of the color combos that Fiat offers are tasteful for anyone. Possible exception might be the Rame. It is a nice color, but definitely a racer color, IMHO.

MADNESSLuckyJay
08-13-2013, 03:10 PM
NO WAY!!! I can't wait to be an Ol' Timer so I can do what ever I want and tell the young punks what's up!! Go boy racer, Go!

Jjm4life
08-13-2013, 03:16 PM
I think the white/red combo suits such a ridiculous little car really well.

Joeremi
08-13-2013, 04:03 PM
I think the white/red combo suits such a ridiculous little car really well.

HA! I like this answer. ;)

ScorpionSkins.com
08-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Black/Red looks excellent, and the added touch of red leather to the interior door panels really livens them up as opposed to a completely black look. Go for it! :)

Andree
08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Go for what you want!

I had originally been looking for a white (not pearl, just regular, nice, shiny white) with the red and white interior. Not the Abarth, just a regular Pop/Lounge. And I'm older than you.

If you like the way the car looks now, you'll like the way the car looks later. And it will do wonders for your mood.

Haring
08-13-2013, 04:53 PM
I think it'll make you look (and feel) younger. Maybe thats why people are shocked when I tell them the big 40 is right around the corner for me.

500ways
08-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Color: whatever makes YOU happy!

Sunroof or cabrio? This is tough. You def want a view above you. The question is how much? And the additional care required for the cabrio top?

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Joeremi
08-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Color: whatever makes YOU happy!

Sunroof or cabrio? This is tough. You def want a view above you. The question is how much? And the additional care required for the cabrio top?

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Yeah, the cabrio top has been a tough one. I like the idea of one, but I rarely put the top down on my dear departed (and always in the shop) Boxster S, and never open the sunroof on my current car, a Chevy HHR SS. Plus you're right about cabrio tops needing more attention. Hmm...

Andree
08-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah, the cabrio top has been a tough one. I like the idea of one, but I rarely put the top down on my dear departed (and always in the shop) Boxster S, and never open the sunroof on my current car, a Chevy HHR SS. Plus you're right about cabrio tops needing more attention. Hmm...

You put your location in. That helps. I'm guessing that you get warm (to sizzling hot) summers, and rain-dumping winters.

When it's hot, the top down and a black interior will make it even hotter. I just loved the way my thighs bubbled to a crispy, pork-rind-like texture sitting on hot black leather seats. And that was with t-tops. It's like an oven. This is only good if you're baking bread.

Second, the cabrio top doesn't have a rear wiper. I love my rear wiper. Especially during those short winter days and long nights and endless rain. The Bay Area isn't Southern California and we get some serious storms.

I'm in SF, and really NEED the light coming in the sunroof, as it's often overcast. And I don't get out much. But in Vallejo, it might get a little toasty inside the car. Especially if you don't use the sunroof that you currently have. Because even the black/red interior will get pretty warm.

Why not go with the white hardtop? You get the white, which helps keep your interior cool. The visibility of having a white car, which does help in our stormy winters. And the rear wiper, to help seeing OUT.

msjulie33
08-13-2013, 10:27 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but it's kinda driving me crazy. I'm trying to decide between a Nero Cabrio with an all-Nero cloth interior, and Bianco sunroof with Nero/Rosso leather and Bianco wheels. I dig the Essesse look of the Bianco car, but at 51-years-old I can't help wondering if it's a little too 'boy racer' for an old fart like me. Would you older folks stick with the more conservative approach, or go full-race bonkers with the Bianco?

Never too old I say, Abarth is a fun car so have fun with it, why not? As for C vs not-C, I can say that I have the top open on my car at least 90%+ of the time. If it's cool out, I can run the heat.. If it's hot, I can put the AC on periodically when the traffic makes me just sit w/no breeze.

I got the tan top on my car, a little afraid of red+red+red and that's pretty close to the original 500 which came with red car, red+ivory seats + ivory top. Now I think I wish I had the red top because this car can carry colors/color combos not many can carry.

images.google.com and put in all the color variants you can think of with Abarth and pick what hits your fancy :)

Good luck!

melanzane
08-13-2013, 11:31 PM
I debated similar. I liked the Bianco with white wheels look, but it was just a bit too boy racer. Lets put it this way - since the car is loud, it creates a perception, which can tip towards goofy if the car has too much going on such as white wheels, red stripes, etc. The older one gets, the harder it is to pull off 'goofy' successfully.

What you may wish to consider, is a car without side stripes, and black wheels. This looks great on a Rosso or Bianco car. Red or black mirror caps can add very cool accents.

And for extra fun, the interior red leather option will make you smile everytime you open the door.

Although I will admit that the Grigio and Nero do seem to look better with the side stripes.

Joeremi
08-13-2013, 11:50 PM
I debated similar. I liked the Bianco with white wheels look, but it was just a bit too boy racer. Lets put it this way - since the car is loud, it creates a perception, which can tip towards goofy if the car has too much going on such as white wheels, red stripes, etc. The older one gets, the harder it is to pull off 'goofy' successfully.

What you may wish to consider, is a car without side stripes, and black wheels. This looks great on a Rosso or Bianco car. Red or black mirror caps can add very cool accents.

And for extra fun, the interior red leather option will make you smile everytime you open the door.

Although I will admit that the Grigio and Nero do seem to look better with the side stripes.

I'm actually good with the stripes. I think it's the extra 'brightness' factor of the white wheels that puts it a little over the top for me, but no matter which configuration I get, I'll be doing aftermarket wheels when it's time for new tires. I really do like the look of the car as is now, so I'm thinking I'll end up being fine with those wheels for a couple years at least. I'm sure I'd go with grey or black for replacements, though. The verdict seems to be that I like the car, and should quit worrying about it and get what I want!

Joeremi
08-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Although I may completely change my mind when I see Abarths live and in person again tomorrow. I started a thread about a Nero car with 16-inch wheels before this one. Hey, it's a big decision! ;-)

Andree
08-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Just stay away from the pink Abarths.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200804012124761&set=p.10200804012124761&type=1

She's the general manager at the Austin studio.

Here's another pic of the car and an article about the car:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20121029/RETAIL07/310299961#

Joeremi
08-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Just stay away from the pink Abarths.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200804012124761&set=p.10200804012124761&type=1

She's the general manager at the Austin studio.

Here's another pic of the car and an article about the car:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20121029/RETAIL07/310299961#

HA! That's awesome!

cmj912
08-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Although I may completely change my mind when I see Abarths live and in person again tomorrow. I started a thread about a Nero car with 16-inch wheels before this one. Hey, it's a big decision! ;-)

Lots of ways to configure means a tougher decision. I will say that since the Abarth does not come with a 'light' interior configuration that's sort of a moot point, but having owned both the white and black interiors the black one heats up fast. I say if the headroom isn't an issue get a sunroof. If you find you aren't using the top much on your current car it seems sort of a large price to pay for the 'chance'. :D

However I do agree with the group. Get what really appeals to you regardless. With FIATs, to some degree, there is the element of 'screw what everybody else thinks'...
Which I find somewhat amusing because in Europe FIAT is like Ford. No one looks at you funny when you're driving a 500 unless you are a man and it is the Barbie edition :)

Andree
08-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Which I find somewhat amusing because in Europe FIAT is like Ford. No one looks at you funny when you're driving a 500 unless you are a man and it is the Barbie edition :)

Pink used to be the guy color. Blue was for girls.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19780_5-gender-stereotypes-that-used-to-be-exact-opposite.html

Macchina Divertente
08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
but at 51-years-old I can't help wondering if it's a little too 'boy racer' for an old fart like me. Would you older folks stick with the more conservative approach, or go full-race bonkers with the Bianco?

Old fart? I'm 52 and feel I am far from being an old fart.
But, know what you are getting at with you question. Driving a car that makes you look like you are Speed Racer may be a bit silly. I would lean conservative.

I think it would be cool to have an Abarth that looks like an unassuming 500 POP. Sleeper.

MADNESSLuckyJay
08-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Old fart? I'm 52 and feel I am far from being an old fart.
But, know what you are getting at with you question. Driving a car that makes you look like you are Speed Racer may be a bit silly. I would lean conservative.

I think it would be cool to have an Abarth that looks like an unassuming 500 POP. Sleeper.

I like your style!!

Jono
08-14-2013, 03:12 PM
I deliberated hard on the sunroof or cabrio decison and also the color. In the end I decided not to go for the Cabrio as from the driver seat with the sunroof open, there is not much difference in the 'open sky' you can actually see, certainly not worth $4000 imho. In the end I went for bianco with black wheels as being 48 (a mere spring chicken) I wamted more of a sleeper!

Haring
08-14-2013, 04:32 PM
great color combo Jono! :D

Joeremi
08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
The verdict is in. After all this silliness, I went in today and finally drove the Bianco/Rosso Abarth. For days of red and white! Noope. I ended up right where I started, and drove home a Nero Cabrio with Rosso mirrors/stripes, Convenience and Beats Audio. It's awesome!

Andree
08-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Wow! That was quick! Congrats, Joe re mi fa so la ti do. Car looks excellent, and you'll get plenty of opportunities to use your cabrio top. You might even use it more than you think since it's so easy to use and has the three settings. Enjoy!

msjulie33
08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
+1 on the cabrio! Enjoy

melanzane
08-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Joe, congrats on the Cabrio, you made the right choice! I have a pop with sunroof and Abarth Cabrio - the Cabrio is more fun with almost no compromise (and more headroom). Word of advice, buy a convertible top protectant spray and apply every 3-6 month - it'll help keep your top looking great.

Also, this morning the Wall Street Journal had a timely article on FIATs and older buyers, part of which is below

"
In some cases they find the tastes and pocketbooks of 20-somethings similar to older buyers. Job- and cash-strapped millennials aren't too different from boomers living on a fixed income, marketers said.

Elsewhere, older buyers have fond memories of some brands. The tiny Fiat 500, which made its U.S.-debut in 2011, is targeted to young, urban customers with features, such as two-toned interiors and bold colors with Italian names like "Rosso Brillante."

Marketing pamphlets show young people packed into the car "playing with their iPhones," said Richard Foley, general sales manager of Fiat of Lakeside in Macomb, Mich.

But retro-styling and the Fiat brand's name recognition among older drivers has made it a hit with their parents' generation. About 37% of Fiat 500 buyers this year through May were age 55 or older compared with only 12% that were under 34, according to Edmunds.com.

"If you ask a young person 'what's a Fiat?' and they wouldn't have a clue," Mr. Foley said. "The older crowd knows the car. They either had one in the past or knew someone who did."Few brands market directly to boomer-age buyers, despite their strength in numbers. "Just because I'm a baby boomer doesn't mean I want my body to feel like I'm 55 or 65 years old," said Alexander Edwards, president of San Diego-based research firm, Strategic Vision. "So when marketing messages are for millennials, there are a lot of things that are attractive to the older generation."

Jono
08-15-2013, 12:53 AM
great color combo Jono! :D

Great color combo too!

Andree
08-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Joe, congrats on the Cabrio, you made the right choice! I have a pop with sunroof and Abarth Cabrio - the Cabrio is more fun with almost no compromise (and more headroom). Word of advice, buy a convertible top protectant spray and apply every 3-6 month - it'll help keep your top looking great.

Also, this morning the Wall Street Journal had a timely article on FIATs and older buyers,

Would love to read the article entire, do you have a link?

I've noticed similar reactions/responses locally. Younger people (born 80's or later) have no idea what a Fiat is. But they like the looks of the car.

Older people (aka around my age or higher, LOL) like the car, AND have memories/stories to share about Fiat. Even the retro color Verde Chiaro brings comments from older people, not just about Fiat, but other car colors that were similar. One man came over to comment on the color, saying he had a car after the war that was similar in color, and then he named the color. I don't remember what it was. But he sure did. And that's WW2.

I'd mentioned to the dealership Twitter account and the FiatUSA twitter account about marketing to older people and seniors. Seriously. It seems like a no-brainer. SHOW people of ALL ages using the Fiat.

There's a picture somewhere, of an older couple (not teens!) in their Rosso cabriolet, with a holiday wreath on the back of their Fiat, the top down, they're both in the back seat, looking out the back of the car, on a tree-lined country road. That's an image I'd use in an advertising campaign around the winter holidays for "Fiats for everyone".

cmj912
08-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Is that the same article where it is mentioned that younger generations now hold the status and prestige of owning a car *at all* in less esteem than previously? In most congested (and thoroughly modern) urban areas, having a car is often a completely unnecessary expense and not worth the hindrance and cost of parking, insurance, etc. - much like - oh...Europe :)

I will add to the mix in saying that I have been surprised an impressed at the wide variety of owners: gender, age, etc. - and the variation of configurations which appeal to them. Yesterday, for instance, I saw a woman who might have been 60+ driving an espresso Lounge hardtop. 16 minutes later, a man of about 35 driving a black Gucci hardtop, and almost immediately after that a perhaps fiftyish man driving an all-white Lounge cabrio.

sjmst
08-15-2013, 11:09 AM
I am older than you and this is my daily driver. If I cared too much about what others think someone my age and in my position should be driving, I would not drive a 500 at all.
http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll464/sjmst/abarthzonkered_zps3e043c7d.jpg (http://s315.photobucket.com/user/sjmst/media/abarthzonkered_zps3e043c7d.jpg.html)
Now that aside, if I were doing this again, I'd get the cabrio. Why? I never use a sunroof, but full top down is worthwhile. Also, the cabrio is beautiful. It would be worth having if I never put the top down!

Joeremi
08-15-2013, 12:02 PM
I am older than you and this is my daily driver. If I cared too much about what others think someone my age and in my position should be driving, I would not drive a 500 at all.
http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll464/sjmst/abarthzonkered_zps3e043c7d.jpg (http://s315.photobucket.com/user/sjmst/media/abarthzonkered_zps3e043c7d.jpg.html)
Now that aside, if I were doing this again, I'd get the cabrio. Why? I never use a sunroof, but full top down is worthwhile. Also, the cabrio is beautiful. It would be worth having if I never put the top down!

I love that color! The Bianco/Rosso ended up being a little out there for me - in retrospect, I probably would have thought so 20 years ago, too - but the only reason I didn't buy a red Abarth is because I've had too many red cars, including the HHR SS I just traded in. That Rosso Abarth rocks!