PDA

View Full Version : first 3000 mile oil change! dirty friken oil!!!

808Abarth
08-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Decided to do the oil change myself at 3k miles because I dont trust the studio at all!.
So anyways. After disregarding the over 6k mile for first oil change I decided to do it with 3k. Beyond glad I did. Why was the dam oil so blk. Dirty. Yuck!
Since I love to avoid the studio I ordered the fram filter from rock auto and got some awesome eneos oil from a japanese retail store here. Huge friken difference and really great oil quality.

On the way home the car felt smoother amd less hesitant. Mayb itsy imagination, but an awesome imagination im going to continue to imagine. Lolol

Abarth Five O
08-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I changed mine at 2.6k and it was dirty black too. Now I change it every 3k now with Pennzoil Ultra Euro from Cutter. I feel the diff, cars runs noticeably smoother w/ each oil change.

Small&Wicked2013
08-13-2013, 03:07 PM
You used a Fram oil filter? Ouch!!

808Abarth
08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
I reviewed a lot about the filters. I looks at the size difference. Filter form v paterns. And believe it or not. Frame was actually the best. And when I looked at prices. The most expensive. So I went with that. Hahaha. No bit seriously. I shoupdve took a side by side shot over stock. Sssshhhhiiitttt.

dylansi
08-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I changed mine at 1000miles then at 5300 miles. Now with an intake, that I'm guessing doesn't filter near as well as stock, and the DP I will change at 3-4k. I always use Pennzoil and OEM filter from Cutter. But I don't take my car there to get it done.

My first at 1k was pretty dirty also

KKaWing
08-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Turbos + high temps mean the oil will turn black that much quicker. Since the mpg requirements tightened, higher efficiency often means higher temperatures. Only an oil analysis can truly tell if it is in fact, compromised. I understand that is kind of a hassle and just using the best oil / filter you find at an interval you are comfortable with is often more than good enough.

jguerdat
08-13-2013, 07:40 PM
^ +1

Abarth619
08-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Here is the best website out there about anything to do with oil. It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know and things you never even knew you wanted to know about oil. Its a very informative site and a must read for any car enthusiast. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

808Abarth
08-14-2013, 12:08 AM
ooo makes way more sense when i think about how hot that dam oil gets running threw that turbo. i was kinda like WTF! WHY SO BLACK! LOL

i did come across that site before and ran into some of the threads. super cool stuff and thinking about sending in the eneos oil to see if it held up. 3k more miles here i come!

Dylan and five0 how much are the qrts or oil and oil filter cost?

div2
08-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Turbos + high temps mean the oil will turn black that much quicker. Since the mpg requirements tightened, higher efficiency often means higher temperatures. Only an oil analysis can truly tell if it is in fact, compromised. I understand that is kind of a hassle and just using the best oil / filter you find at an interval you are comfortable with is often more than good enough.

I run Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Mazdaspeed 3 and have a used oil analysis performed at every 7,500 mile change. The UOAs indicate that I could actually extend the change interval to 10,000 miles. The DISI turbocharged MZR is notoriously hard on oil so I would suspect that the proper synthetic 5W-40 would allow a similar OCI in the Abarth's engine.

Abarth Five O
08-14-2013, 02:12 AM
ooo makes way more sense when i think about how hot that dam oil gets running threw that turbo. i was kinda like WTF! WHY SO BLACK! LOL

i did come across that site before and ran into some of the threads. super cool stuff and thinking about sending in the eneos oil to see if it held up. 3k more miles here i come!

Dylan and five0 how much are the qrts or oil and oil filter cost?

About $9/qt. and $9/filter at Cutter. Cheap!

stratofortress
08-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Oh dear, I'm just over 6k and getting it done on the house this weekend.

Eek! Hope the car doesn't explode :/

dylansi
08-15-2013, 12:41 AM
About $9/qt. and $9/filter at Cutter. Cheap!

Same I paid. But I did buy the 6 pack (oil) from Amazon once also. Think it may have been a little cheaper that way. I have only got the replacement filter from Cutter so far though.