PDA

View Full Version : Well, the FJ owner is now a Abarth owner!

Abarth619
08-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Finally took the plunge today, I traded in my FJ. It was a great truck but the gas cost was sucking me dry with a 90 mile commute to work. It seems Metro Fiat was able to accept my employee discount after all and they bumped up my trade as well. They were pretty good to me and my experience was a complete 180 compared to my last visit there when I inquired about the discount. I was going to go to another dealer, but Metro had the one I wanted and the price was fair. The salesman Paul was really cool as well. Its refreshing to see a someone that knows about the products their selling

Anyways, I got a nero with red go fast stripes with black leather and 17s. Didn't want the seat heaters but, they came with it, no beats stereo which is a good thing because the trunk space that the subwoofer takes up is absurd. I'm pretty happy and its a real blast to drive. Metro definitely needs a new detailing guy though, as the current one stinks. Here's a pic after I gave it another cleaning in my driveway. Don't mind the crop circle in back on the lawn, I had just taken my daughters pool down for the summer. lol

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/corn619/242E6737-9262-4494-97CB-75DDDCDF9044-16717-000009F2FD2BEF5D_zpsa5e2c5ab.jpg (http://s488.photobucket.com/user/corn619/media/242E6737-9262-4494-97CB-75DDDCDF9044-16717-000009F2FD2BEF5D_zpsa5e2c5ab.jpg.html)

500ways
08-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Good for you and congratulations! The FJ was dope - no doubt!

The Abarth will be a different experience and is sweet! You will be smiling and saving $$ - win-win!

Tweak
08-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Congrats! I recall awhile back when you popped in and was thinking about the change, very different vehicles but I imagine this one puts just as big or a bigger smile so it would seem you've made an excellent choice. :)

FTY
08-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Congrats...I think you'll be very pleased long-term with your decision!

Dwaynek
08-13-2013, 12:22 AM
you bought the best color!

duster497
08-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Congrats!! That is quite the change, but very much for the better!! Your commute just got a whole lot more fun!!

ABARTH TAMER
08-13-2013, 08:12 AM
You will be much happier with this as a DD. Fiat gave us a Wrangler while my wife's POP was is for service. Nice vehicle,
Certainly good at what it does, but on the road I would grow tired quickly of the ride, the steering, the gas mileage.

SergeBot
08-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Congrats!!! I had to make the very same decision. I loved my fj dearly but its gas consumption was getting out of hand. Enjoy your Abarth I know I am:burnout:
then and now pic

wilbmeister
08-13-2013, 08:47 AM
I understand what it's like to trade in a very different type of vehicle. I traded in a VW Touareg for the Abarth. There is no doubt I did the right thing.

trevc
08-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Congratulations on the Abarth! Excellent color combination :)

micduque1
08-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Congrats on the purchase! Looks like I have a playmate ;) As I live in Lincoln, RI SpinningSmiley - with my naked nero Abarth.

Tweak
08-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Congrats on the purchase! Looks like I have a playmate ;) As I live in Lincoln, RI SpinningSmiley - with my naked nero Abarth.

Welcome to the forum.

Abarth619
08-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Congrats on the purchase! Looks like I have a playmate ;) As I live in Lincoln, RI SpinningSmiley - with my naked nero Abarth. That's awesome! I swore I was the only Abarth in Lincoln maybe even in RI as I never see them on the road lol. We'll have to meet up and romp the Abarths around sometime. Also welcome to the forum, everyone seems to be really great here. Thanks everyone I LOVE this car. I gave it a good cleaning today and it took 1/3 of the time when compared to cleaning the FJ. It was refreshing to say the least. :)

DIVSAbarth500
08-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Congrats on the Abarth. FJs are cool but i'm sure you will be pleased with your decision, except maybe when it snows lol.

Abarth619
08-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Congrats on the Abarth. FJs are cool but i'm sure you will be pleased with your decision, except maybe when it snows lol. Haha I know the snow could be a issue for me. I've decided to get a nice, older 90s Land Cruiser or 4Runner. Those things are indestructable and will help keep my car winter free. :)

DIVSAbarth500
08-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Haha I know the snow could be a issue for me. I've decided to get a nice, older 90s Land Cruiser or 4Runner. Those things are indestructable and will help keep my car winter free. :)

Nice! I love those '90s Toyota SUVs. Definitely indestructible. A guy near me bought one new, still has it and its got over 300,000 miles.

abarth401
10-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Welcome,

I traded my 2010 FJ TT for an Abarth 500C.. I got sick of the blind spots... However I got some new ones with the 500C. But the Abarth sounds alot better then the FJ.

Tweak
10-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Welcome,

I traded my 2010 FJ TT for an Abarth 500C.. I got sick of the blind spots... However I got some new ones with the 500C. But the Abarth sounds alot better then the FJ.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

JudoFish
10-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Congratulations. I have a JEEP and an Abarth. It's funny when I get in the JEEP and try to shift gears (automatic). The Abarth will put a smile on your face - Enjoy!

FiatCares
10-19-2015, 08:44 AM
Congratulations :) Glad to hear you are enjoying your Abarth!

ewflyer
10-19-2015, 11:50 AM
With the 90 mile (one-way?) commute you mentioned I'm guessing some of that distance is on highway/interstate. This means you will soon notice the Abarth's factory-delivered suspension flaw: it has a squirrelly/unsettled/dancing-around-in-your-lane rear end feel at highway speeds and this tendency really shows itself under braking from those speeds.

When you first get the Abarth and drive it on the highway you tell yourself that it must be you just getting used to the car, but time will show you that it's not you (the driver) - instead it's the factory suspension set-up.

Easily remedied, though. You'll get differing opinions (here on the forum) as to what is the best way to correct this deficiency. When I got fed up with the squirrelly, dancing rear end of my 2012 Abarth I upgraded the rear shocks to Koni Yellows and replaced the rear torsion bar with a slightly larger one. That completely solved the issue for me.

Tweak
10-20-2015, 12:15 AM
With the 90 mile (one-way?) commute you mentioned I'm guessing some of that distance is on highway/interstate. This means you will soon notice the Abarth's factory-delivered suspension flaw: it has a squirrelly/unsettled/dancing-around-in-your-lane rear end feel at highway speeds and this tendency really shows itself under braking from those speeds.

When you first get the Abarth and drive it on the highway you tell yourself that it must be you just getting used to the car, but time will show you that it's not you (the driver) - instead it's the factory suspension set-up.

Easily remedied, though. You'll get differing opinions (here on the forum) as to what is the best way to correct this deficiency. When I got fed up with the squirrelly, dancing rear end of my 2012 Abarth I upgraded the rear shocks to Koni Yellows and replaced the rear torsion bar with a slightly larger one. That completely solved the issue for me.

Doesn't help the stock 17in Pirelli tires love to "dance" as well. :(

Gundy
11-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Haha I know the snow could be a issue for me. I've decided to get a nice, older 90s Land Cruiser or 4Runner. Those things are indestructable and will help keep my car winter free. :)

X2. The 90s Land Cruisers are legendary. I went from daily driving a 96 FZJ 80 to the Abarth. WOW....gas station hates
but...WOW. I was fortunate to have owned the 80 for decades. Friend who has a Cruiser restoration business services
and spruced it up..put an ARB and winch for good measure. PARKED it. COVERED it. Ready for service. Or some rock crawling if needed.
Drive it every month. But good God those things are gas pigs.