PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light: Crankshaft Failure

tgeorges
08-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey fellow 500 owners. Just looking for some general advice...

I'm jumping the gun here in a bit of a panic. So I'll wait a bit and consider long-term options. Here's my issue...

I have a 2012 Pop, which I purchased early 2011. I love the car and it has been great fun to own.

Recently, my check engine light came on steady, then started flashing. I looked up the meaning in my manual and took it into a Fiat Studio the next day.

After some investigation, all they can tell me is that there appears to be an impending failure of the crankshaft and a bearing. The car is under warranty and will be repaired. They also said this is a first for them. Indicate also that it is most likely a manufacturing defect present since casting.

It's great that this happened while under warranty for financial reasons; however, it leaves me wondering what I should do with the car in the long run. I don't want to have to deal with recurring problems.

I'm torn because I truly love my 500.

Is this fix gonna be the end of major problems?

Is this just the beginning?

Should I trade it for another?

Tweak
08-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think anyone can answer the questions you have asked truthfully, I do not recall this being mentioned so it doesn't sound like a common or known problem constantly being repaired. It may never come up again but not to be rude or anything but I think asking is this going to be the end of the problem is like asking will I get a flat tire in the next week, things happen and no one can know when, what, or how bad those things can or will be till they happen. I do wish you luck in a speedy repair and hope you enjoy the forum. I understand it is hard to have a major problem with a new car that you really enjoy otherwise, hopefully you'll remain trouble free once it is returned.

Andree
08-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Put it into perspective. There are over ONE MILLION Fiat 500s on the road. All over the world. Cars that have been out there for much longer than yours, been driven more, etc.

How many have had this problem? Have there been any recalls for the same problem? Have message boards been filled with crankshaft failures?

I don't know the answer to the first question. I haven't seen any recalls for the crankshaft. And yours is the first post I've read (but I haven't read every message board everywhere since 2007).

I know you're worried about your car. I don't blame you. It's a pretty important part to fail.

But you're getting a new one. And the old one will probably be sent somewhere for examination to discover what happened to it. I'm pretty sure you will not get another bad one. If you did get another bad one, even though no one else has bad ones, immediately buy a Power Ball ticket. You should win.

There's a huge difference between shoddy workmanship and happening to get that one part that somehow fails.

I've already had my panic attack, when one of the overhead lights stopped working. I was convinced the doors would fall off shortly thereafter. Because I have had my share of "things that go wrong" (my share of things that go wrong in life, not with the Fiat).

My doors are still attached to my car, no other lights have gone out, nothing has burst into flames. It's been a swell car thus far, and all I can do is take it one day at a time. And that's all you can do too. :)

tgeorges
08-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks for putting it in perspective! I know I'm just panicking.

FTY
08-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks for putting it in perspective! I know I'm just panicking.

Don't apologize, it sucks, its stressful but its under warranty and will get fixed properly, FIAT will also warranty the repair for a certain time period also which may extend past your original warranty. It seems like a very rare occurrence. Good luck with repairs!!

Robert Nixon
08-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Its under warranty so let them make the repair. Cars are made of thousands of parts that can be replaced.

msjulie33
08-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Had a 2001 Audi 1.8T engine, at 2500 miles (about) the intake camshaft sheared clean, broken in half. Happened accelerating out of a toll booth just to add to the fun.. Took Audio 30 days (just!) to rebuild the engine and I was considering dumping the car (as it was I was outside Boston at the time and the car was dead new Newark NJ). In the end, I kept the car and drove it cross country and some track days and it was fine. Traded it when it had about 85k miles cause we needed to get a bigger car (the 2009 VW TDI Jetta)

The camshaft on the Audi was a manufacturing defect, never heard of another like it, new one was fine. Hoping the story is similar for you - long happy ending :)

trevc
08-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Once the get into the engine they will be able to tell better what is wrong and how major it is.
It's too early to panic :) Hopefully you have good Techs at your studio and you will get many more years from the car.

FiatCares
08-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Hey fellow 500 owners. Just looking for some general advice...

I'm jumping the gun here in a bit of a panic. So I'll wait a bit and consider long-term options. Here's my issue...

I have a 2012 Pop, which I purchased early 2011. I love the car and it has been great fun to own.

Recently, my check engine light came on steady, then started flashing. I looked up the meaning in my manual and took it into a Fiat Studio the next day.

After some investigation, all they can tell me is that there appears to be an impending failure of the crankshaft and a bearing. The car is under warranty and will be repaired. They also said this is a first for them. Indicate also that it is most likely a manufacturing defect present since casting.

It's great that this happened while under warranty for financial reasons; however, it leaves me wondering what I should do with the car in the long run. I don't want to have to deal with recurring problems.

I'm torn because I truly love my 500.

Is this fix gonna be the end of major problems?

Is this just the beginning?

Should I trade it for another?

That's a hard question to answer. All I can guarantee is that the vehicle will continue to be addressed by the terms of the manufacture's warranty. You comfort and satisfaction towards the vehicle is solely up to you. As you mentioned, it was caught while under warranty and will be repaired as such. Hopefully, you will be trouble free afterwards. And if not, I am here, as well as the entire community, to help you.