PDA

View Full Version : Safety Inspection

seanoj
08-12-2013, 02:03 PM
I got a call from my dealer asking me to bring the car in ASAP for a "Safety Inspection."

Anyone else get such a call? Is there a recall?

-Sean

p.s. they are going to fix the access app (I guess taking the telematics out of transport mode) as well.

Andree
08-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I got a call from my dealer asking me to bring the car in ASAP for a "Safety Inspection."

-Sean

p.s. they are going to fix the access app (I guess taking the telematics out of transport mode) as well.

When do you go in to see the dealer? Fill us in when you get back!

Haring
08-12-2013, 04:30 PM
There's mention on the red forum that there's an issue with the 500e. Hard to tell what it is since the person that started it is new with under 5 posts. The one person mentions to check out this site but I didn't see anything and would think Chris would be up-to-date on anything Fiat related.

msjulie33
08-12-2013, 05:10 PM
First thing that came to mind is the Fiat e that lost a front axle... there was a post on the red forum about that, loose bolts at the axle to transmission mounting... a handful of cars supposedly?

globug
08-12-2013, 05:45 PM
There is a large discussion about this over on the G+ 500e Community - we have two members who have lost axles in the last week. https://plus.google.com/u/1/communities/115966269255866480388?partnerid=gplp0

The latest off that is that Chrysler Corporate is now dispatching engineers to dealerships to try to figure out what is going on and that there are 5 reported cases thus far.

globug
08-12-2013, 05:46 PM

-Sean

Sean - who is your dealer? Im using Capitol in San Jose and have yet to hear back if they will do a safety inspection of m 500e

Tweak
08-12-2013, 06:51 PM

-Sean

Welcome to the forum.

I think msjulie might have the info that is accurate but that remains to be seen, as of now it seems there is some axle/bolt related issue on as she stated a "handful of cars". As you find out more we would all be very happy if you would be so kind as to share whatever you learn.

seanoj
08-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Los Angeles Fiat (Motor Village LA)

The service guy mumbled something about a half shaft but did not seem to really know what was going on. The access app will not be fixed at the downtown location so they will be taking the car to another branch (Puente) as the technician is at that location.

They will have the car overnight and balked at giving me a loaner. The service manager, however, did get me a voucher for a rental. I am, as I type, waiting for the rental guys to get me a car.

I will post tomorrow when I get the car back and look at the paperwork and quiz the mechanics on the exact concern and remedy.

Andree
08-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Thank you for keeping us updated.

goforjamie
08-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Just got off the phone with McKevitt in Berkeley. They confirmed corporate called in a "stop sell" this morning, but provided no reason behind it. They suspect it very well could be this issue, but couldn't confirm. They are also checking with their service team about whether or not they've personally encountered the issue and will get back with anything further they hear.

I explained about the buzz going on here and in the forums, showed them the posts over the phone and they were appreciative it was brought it to their attention. My sense is that they are on it as much as they can be with limited info from corporate - nothing new for the car business.

I'm pretty bugged we haven't all heard from FIAT/Chrysler at this point, but guessing they're assessing strategy. Hope they get down to business before anyone gets hurt.

Jamie

Andree
08-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Just got off the phone with McKevitt in Berkeley. They confirmed corporate called in a "stop sell" this morning, but provided no reason behind it. They suspect it very well could be this issue, but couldn't confirm. They are also checking with their service team about whether or not they've personally encountered the issue and will get back with anything further they hear.

I explained about the buzz going on here and in the forums, showed them the posts over the phone and they were appreciative it was brought it to their attention. My sense is that they are on it as much as they can be with limited info from corporate - nothing new for the car business.

I'm pretty bugged we haven't all heard from FIAT/Chrysler at this point, but guessing they're assessing strategy. Hope they get down to business before anyone gets hurt.

Jamie

Oh boy! Thanks for the update!

Andree
08-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Jamie
--
Moderator of the Google+ 500e Community

Keep us updated as news comes in.

I hadn't seen the black with white interior online in photos until your car on Google. And I love it!!!

Cheri500e
08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
ok so I guess until I hear more I may be staying off the freeway with mine. Yikes. I have 530 miles so far and no issues, have driven it every day since I picked it up 3 weeks ago.

blacter
08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
This email came this morning from the Berkeley dealer:

Dear Barry,

As you are aware, we began to deliver 500e's in late July. To date, McKevitt FIAT has retailed more 500e's than any other NorCal FIAT Studio! The factory continues to give our sold orders priority because unlike many FIAT Studios, McKevitt FIAT honors all advertized factory programs and does not charge over MSRP for the 500e.

As such, demand for the 500e continues to skyrocket beyond all expectations. McKevitt FIAT now has close to 200 deposits on file. All day, every day, my staff and I receive more and more inquiries about the 500e. Factory management continues to assure me that every sold order we give them will be fulfilled. (Especially yours!)

Despite this good news, unfortunately there are production delays with the 500e. As of August 10th, FIAT has temporarily suspended shipping 500e's to all FIAT Studios. I have no specific information beyond that. FIAT wants to make sure that these cars are "right" before they ship them.

These delays have made me very reluctant to make any new promises about when your 500e will arrive. You will get your 500e, but I don't know when. Right now, all I can say is that it should arrive before the end of 2013.

If that timeline is not acceptable to you, I apologize for circumstances beyond my control. I will refund your deposit immediately. If you can continue to wait, your patience will be rewarded with an amazing little car.

As always, please feel free to reach out to me any time you have questions or concerns about your 500e order. I appreciate your continued patience and the opportunity to earn your business once the factory finally sends your 500e!

Best regards,

Kristean von der Heiden
Brand Manager
McKevitt FIAT
510.346.3600, x.1010
kristean@mckevitt.com

Andree
08-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks again, Barry.

Right now, everyone has to wait.

Hopefully it will be a fast, effective check and fix.

seanoj
08-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Got my car back an hour ago. The service guy said that there are 6 or 8 bolts on the half shafts and a just a few needed to be tightened. The invoice says "inspected half shaft bolts and set to factory spec 19 ft/lb" Hopefully I am done with this issue.

Andree
08-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Got my car back an hour ago. The service guy said that there are 6 or 8 bolts on the half shafts and a just a few needed to be tightened. The invoice says "inspected half shaft bolts and set to factory spec 19 ft/lb" Hopefully I am done with this issue.

That ought to do it.

I wonder whose head rolled as a result of the bolt fiasco.

msjulie33
08-13-2013, 10:16 PM

Always amazed at how little torque some bolts seem to require... hopefully fixed and good..

webwevers
08-14-2013, 12:15 PM
I wonder if they will be checking all e's or do they know which ones needed the bolts tightened? My dealer said that they have not heard of anything about it.

Cheri500e
08-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Called my dealership and they will not even let me drive it over there. Gave me a 800 number to hook up with a tow truck that will come get Antonio and wisk him off to be checked out. I am worried.

Andree
08-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Called my dealership and they will not even let me drive it over there. Gave me a 800 number to hook up with a tow truck that will come get Antonio and wisk him off to be checked out. I am worried.

A dealer who puts safety first. Excellent.

It's not worth the risk for you (or for the dealership or the manufacturer) to drive the vehicle, until the bolts have been inspected.

As soon as it's done, Antonio will be back home. He seems a little young to head off to bolt camp over night, but he'll do just fine.

Andree
08-14-2013, 05:29 PM
I wonder if they will be checking all e's or do they know which ones needed the bolts tightened? My dealer said that they have not heard of anything about it.

Weren't you in Palm Springs though? I don't think they ever got any electrics, so they'd be out of the loop.

webwevers
08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
I live in Palm Springs, but bought my 500e at Walter's in Riverside. That's the dealer I meant I had spoken with.

Andree
08-14-2013, 08:33 PM
I live in Palm Springs, but bought my 500e at Walter's in Riverside. That's the dealer I meant I had spoken with.

Ah. Maybe call the Fiat customer service number? Here, work through the info on the Fiat site under "Contact Us":
http://www.fiatusa.com/webselfservice/fiat/

They'll need the last eight characters of your VIN, so have it handy.

msjulie33
08-14-2013, 09:17 PM
http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/66-fiat-500e/15290-recall-information.html

Vince
08-14-2013, 09:22 PM
My wife took her 500e to the dealer in Fremont to get the wifi turned on (after they said is was). The finally did get it turned on properly. While she was there she showed them the pictures of half shafts that had come loose and asked them to check the bolts while she was there. They told her there was nothing official and she had to sign a work order that would be charged at the end of the lease. She signed the paper and had them check the bolts. They did not tell her if they were tight or not. She never saw them do the work, she took their word for it.
Vince

luckymoi
08-15-2013, 06:08 AM
My wife took her 500e to the dealer in Fremont to get the wifi turned on (after they said is was). The finally did get it turned on properly. While she was there she showed them the pictures of half shafts that had come loose and asked them to check the bolts while she was there. They told her there was nothing official and she had to sign a work order that would be charged at the end of the lease. She signed the paper and had them check the bolts. They did not tell her if they were tight or not. She never saw them do the work, she took their word for it.
Vince

ATTENTION: Dealer Principals, General Managers & Service Managers

August 14, 2013

Chrysler Group has begun contacting approximately 270 owners of model-year 2013 Fiat 500e battery-electric vehicles. A recall is being conducted to replace bolts that secure the vehicles’ half shafts. Further recall information will be released in the near future.

Customer Handling:
· Provide a tow into the dealership if customer prefers to not drive the vehicle into the dealership
· Provide a rental car
· DO NOT PERFORM ANY REPAIRS AT THIS TIME

Please provide these customers with exemplary customer service. We have dedicated call center staff reaching out to each customer, but it is our job to make this a smooth process. As always, contact your Area Service and Parts Manager with any questions/concerns.

Any media inquiries should be directed to:
Eric Mayne
Media Relations Mgr.-Engineering, Powertrain, Safety, Regulation,
Chrysler Group LLC,

Andree
08-15-2013, 10:29 AM
So it's basically all the electrics sold thus far.

webwevers
08-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Very frustrating, I called the dealer that I bought my 500e from yesterday about 4:00pm and was told that they have not heard of any problems with car. I told them of the service bulletin that I found on another site and asked if that was true or not. They did not know if anything but said they would call me if they found out anything. I have not heard from them as of this morning. I did call the fiat customer service number and they did not know anything about it either. She asked me for my VIN number which I gave her and she said that something did come up and that fiat would be calling me about it. She said she was not able to tell me anything more. I asked if I should take my car to the dealer and sure but that I would be charged for any work I requested to have done or checked out. What is going on here. I just read the recall news on quite a few websites and am at a loss as to why no one seems to know more about it at the dealer and customer service level. Hopefully I will hear from fiat soon. My dealer is about 40 miles away from me so kind of concerned about driving it back to them on the freeway.

Cheri500e
08-15-2013, 11:22 AM
My car has been at the dealer for almost 24 hours so I called for a update. They have no news but are unable to release any of the 500e's that they have rounded up and unable to sell any on the lot. No one from the parent company has shown up yet to do the inspections. I am going to a convention for a few days so I am stuck with the POS rental car I ended up with (gawd, dont even ask) and will post any updates to my blog as I get them. They pretty much told me not to expect my Fiat back for a week.

Andree
08-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Very frustrating, I called the dealer that I bought my 500e from yesterday about 4:00pm and was told that they have not heard of any problems with car. I told them of the service bulletin that I found on another site and asked if that was true or not. They did not know if anything but said they would call me if they found out anything. I have not heard from them as of this morning. I did call the fiat customer service number and they did not know anything about it either. She asked me for my VIN number which I gave her and she said that something did come up and that fiat would be calling me about it. She said she was not able to tell me anything more. I asked if I should take my car to the dealer and sure but that I would be charged for any work I requested to have done or checked out. What is going on here. I just read the recall news on quite a few websites and am at a loss as to why no one seems to know more about it at the dealer and customer service level. Hopefully I will hear from fiat soon. My dealer is about 40 miles away from me so kind of concerned about driving it back to them on the freeway.

Okay, Palm Springs can do it for you. I just talked to Jed. (service number 1 877 835 3894)

Call 1 800 521 2779 for the tow into the dealer, and they'll get you an Enterprise rental car when you get there.

webwevers
08-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll call them. Thanks for being on this site and helping

Andree
08-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll call them. Thanks for being on this site and helping

You're certainly welcome.

Here's the back story:

I'm disabled, I can't do much, even household chores are problematic. So I'll never work a regular job again, and haven't had a job in 13 years.

Yet I still want to do something. Still want to contribute, to be productive.

So I'll try to do things when I have the energy, and when they are things that I can do. And what I can do is look things up online, or make phone calls here and there.

I like to think of it as being support service for all the rest of the people that can work, and are busy with their lives. Like a personal secretary. Or an assistant. I have what they don't, time. I have lots of time. It makes me feel useful, and sometimes it can be helpful.

I wasn't sure if I'd get yelled at or thanked for butting in and calling. I don't want to wait for someone to ask, when I can just do it and get it done. I like it when I make the buck stop in front of me. LOL.

I became aware of the diffusion of responsibility in university:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility

Once I understood why we don't get involved, I decided I could be the person who gets involved. And it didn't have to be in an emergency context. It only has to be "someone appears to need assistance, how can I be helpful?"

And you'll see me pipe up in threads that have no responses yet, even if I don't know anything. LOL. Usually someone with a lot more knowledge will step up next, to help out. And then others add to what is there. It's pretty cool the way that works.

This thread is an excellent example of people all chipping in with valuable information.

globug
08-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Andree,

You have had great information to contribute to this forum. We are all appreciative! Hopefully you'll come join us over at the G+ community as well if you have not already!

Best, Toréa (aka globug)

---

Andree
08-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Andree,

You have had great information to contribute to this forum. We are all appreciative! Hopefully you'll come join us over at the G+ community as well if you have not already!

Best, Toréa (aka globug)

---

I did join the other day.

I haven't used G+ at all, other than when I first signed up, and looked around. I'm not really sure how it works.

I'll do my posting here. I already get confused about what I posted and where I posted it, and that's just on this one forum. LOL

I don't HAVE a 500e, I have the regular 500 (Pop/Lounge body style). All I know about the 500e is from articles, and I downloaded the manual.

webwevers
08-19-2013, 12:20 PM
So has anyone had their car inspected or completed? I still have not heard from either my dealer or fiat about the recall or if mine has one or not. I have called both my dealer and fiat and as of this morning they do not know anything about it. The fiat support person said that my VIN did pull up something when she checked but she was not able to tell me what it was. She said just to wait until I hear from either my dealer or fiat. I have about 800 miles on my e now and it seems to be running fine, so I am just going to keep driving it and hoping everything is fine. I travel about 30 miles each way to work and I am loving my e!

Franke760
08-19-2013, 11:21 PM
I got the dreaded call today to take my car to the dealer for the recall. The only thing they could tell me is that its a bolt in the half shaft that wasn't properly secured and could come apart! They didn't have an ETA at all. The service guy told me that at this time they are just collecting cars and waiting for further instructions as to what to do. I asked for my rental to be a Fiat and luckily I got one. Hope it won't be too long to get little Sparky back!

FiatCares
08-20-2013, 05:06 PM
This email came this morning from the Berkeley dealer:

Dear Barry,

As you are aware, we began to deliver 500e's in late July. To date, McKevitt FIAT has retailed more 500e's than any other NorCal FIAT Studio! The factory continues to give our sold orders priority because unlike many FIAT Studios, McKevitt FIAT honors all advertized factory programs and does not charge over MSRP for the 500e.

As such, demand for the 500e continues to skyrocket beyond all expectations. McKevitt FIAT now has close to 200 deposits on file. All day, every day, my staff and I receive more and more inquiries about the 500e. Factory management continues to assure me that every sold order we give them will be fulfilled. (Especially yours!)

Despite this good news, unfortunately there are production delays with the 500e. As of August 10th, FIAT has temporarily suspended shipping 500e's to all FIAT Studios. I have no specific information beyond that. FIAT wants to make sure that these cars are "right" before they ship them.

These delays have made me very reluctant to make any new promises about when your 500e will arrive. You will get your 500e, but I don't know when. Right now, all I can say is that it should arrive before the end of 2013.

If that timeline is not acceptable to you, I apologize for circumstances beyond my control. I will refund your deposit immediately. If you can continue to wait, your patience will be rewarded with an amazing little car.

As always, please feel free to reach out to me any time you have questions or concerns about your 500e order. I appreciate your continued patience and the opportunity to earn your business once the factory finally sends your 500e!

Best regards,

Kristean von der Heiden
Brand Manager
McKevitt FIAT
510.346.3600, x.1010
kristean@mckevitt.com

Chrysler Group has begun contacting approximately 270 owners of model-year 2013 Fiat 500e battery-electric vehicles. A recall is being conducted to replace bolts that secure the vehicles’ half shafts.

The issue is unrelated to the 500e’s electric powertrain. Half shafts transfer torque from a vehicle’s gearbox to its wheels.

An investigation was launched after Chrysler Group learned a customer’s vehicle exhibited power loss. Engineers discovered two assembly steps had not been properly completed; creating a condition that could lead to half shaft separation.

Chrysler Group is unaware of any related accidents or injuries.

Approximately 270 retail customers are affected. They are being contacted and will receive free rental vehicles while their vehicles are being repaired.

Repairs will be performed at no cost to customers.

Vehicles on dealer lots also are affected. Chrysler Group will advise the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration when the precise recall population is determined.

webwevers
08-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Still waiting on any word. Called my dealer again and I'm sure they are getting tired of me calling and asking but they have not heard anything. Called Fiat Support and they keep telling me not to worry and that someone will call or email me and let me know if I need to do anything. The above email seems like it applies to all of the fiat 500e's but when I call the support line they keep asking for my VIN and say nothing showing for that VIN. It will be a week tomorrow since the recall or problem was announced, seems like they should have some idea of what cars it effects. Hopefully they will get it all straightened out soon, but I sure someone could tell what is going on.

da2ny
08-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Santa Monica Fiat took my 500E hostage yesterday. I asked how long, "weeks, or months?" Service manager told me "not months." Said they need to replace the bolts. He showed ma a half shaft from the parts department and pointed out the bolts and washers they need to replace. However, he does not know when they will receive the parts. They were very polite, and told me I was #5 in the cue. Each repair would take approximately 45 minutes -- once they have the parts. They gave me a voucher for a rental from Enterprise, but all they had was a Jetta. The lack of information regarding a time frame is very disappointing. Chrysler is expecting me to stay current on my lease payments while I don't have my car. Time Warner is crediting my account while I can't get Dexter, so I think those of us who have had our 500E's impounded should receive some sort of compensation for the time they have our cars. If we put pressure on them now, I think they will come through for us. I don't consider the free rental to be any form of compensation for me as I own another car I can use.

FiatCares
08-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Still waiting on any word. Called my dealer again and I'm sure they are getting tired of me calling and asking but they have not heard anything. Called Fiat Support and they keep telling me not to worry and that someone will call or email me and let me know if I need to do anything. The above email seems like it applies to all of the fiat 500e's but when I call the support line they keep asking for my VIN and say nothing showing for that VIN. It will be a week tomorrow since the recall or problem was announced, seems like they should have some idea of what cars it effects. Hopefully they will get it all straightened out soon, but I sure someone could tell what is going on.

The recall has not been issued yet, but its coming.

Chrysler Group has begun contacting approximately 270 owners of model-year 2013 Fiat 500e battery-electric vehicles. A recall is being conducted to replace bolts that secure the vehicles’ half shafts.

The issue is unrelated to the 500e’s electric powertrain. Half shafts transfer torque from a vehicle’s gearbox to its wheels.

An investigation was launched after Chrysler Group learned a customer’s vehicle exhibited power loss. Engineers discovered two assembly steps had not been properly completed; creating a condition that could lead to half shaft separation.

Chrysler Group is unaware of any related accidents or injuries.

Approximately 270 retail customers are affected. They are being contacted and will receive free rental vehicles while their vehicles are being repaired.

Repairs will be performed at no cost to customers.

Vehicles on dealer lots also are affected. Chrysler Group will advise the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration when the precise recall population is determined.

Tweak
08-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Santa Monica Fiat took my 500E hostage yesterday. I asked how long, "weeks, or months?" Service manager told me "not months." Said they need to replace the bolts. He showed ma a half shaft from the parts department and pointed out the bolts and washers they need to replace. However, he does not know when they will receive the parts. They were very polite, and told me I was #5 in the cue. Each repair would take approximately 45 minutes -- once they have the parts. They gave me a voucher for a rental from Enterprise, but all they had was a Jetta. The lack of information regarding a time frame is very disappointing. Chrysler is expecting me to stay current on my lease payments while I don't have my car. Time Warner is crediting my account while I can't get Dexter, so I think those of us who have had our 500E's impounded should receive some sort of compensation for the time they have our cars. If we put pressure on them now, I think they will come through for us. I don't consider the free rental to be any form of compensation for me as I own another car I can use.

Welcome to the forum.

I highly doubt any compensation will occur but I say go for it and see what comes of your efforts.

Andree
08-21-2013, 11:33 PM

I wish they could have made sure everyone got a Fiat. I know it's not the same as your own car, but at least it would be somewhat similar and perhaps make the waiting not so hard.

webwevers
08-22-2013, 06:42 PM
So today I got a call from Tammy from the Enhanced Customer Service Program, I left her a message yesterday requesting that she provide me with some update with our cars. She told me that all of the 500e cars need to have all of the bolts replaced on the half shafts. The original ones are apparently defective. She said that the bolts are being manufactured now and that they should be completed in about a week. After that they will need to be shipped out to the dealers along with a service bulletin on how to replace them. She hoped that this should all be taken care of in about 2 or 3 weeks time frame, but that they don't know how long it will take to make the bolts. So I told her that I will just keep my car and wait until they notify me that the bolts are at the dealer and I can make an appointment to have them replaced. She said that I should not drive the car at all in the mean time, they would like for everyone to take the cars to the dealers and leave them their. Not really warm on the idea of leaving my car at the dealer for a two or three weeks but to be on the safe side I guess I will. Have checked the bolts and made sure that they are tight but she sounded like the bolts themselves have problems and that just tightening them will not help the problem. Hopefully this will not take more than three weeks to correct.

Cheri500e
08-22-2013, 10:42 PM
visited the "kids" at my local dealership today.
My Antonio is in the back right, allllll the way in the corner. Been there 8 days and is pretty filthy. They have 9 cars there waiting for bolts

webwevers
08-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Ok, so today I called my dealer to remind them that I will be coming in tomorrow to leave my car and pick up a rental. I was told by the service manager that the bolts that are in question have come in. At lease my dealer has them or some of them. She said that a technician does come out to inspect the cars quickly, they have 8 or 9 cars now and they have all been inspected but no work has been done on them. They are not told what the problem is or what they should do. She also said that they have been instructed to impound all 500e's that come in even if just to have look a something either ones that they have sold or ones sold from another dealer. They are to contact Fiat who will send out a technician to look at the car. They are now required to provide the customer with a rental and the customer is not allowed to drive the e out of the dealers lot. She said that they are waiting on instructions from Fiat on how and what procedure (s) they need to do. I asked if she had any idea of how long they might need the car and was told they do not have any idea. They are just waiting along with us as what they are supposed to do. Sounds to me like there might be some other reasons or issues that they need to check out other than the bolts. Hopefully I will find out more tomorrow when I take my e in. and that it will not be a long period of time for them to correct all this. And the saga goes on.....

ReconTopher
08-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Ridiculous!

seanoj
08-24-2013, 12:32 PM
I was one of the first to get the call to bring my car in. They inspected and re-torqued the bolts and gave me my car back after a day. I got an email from Chrysler yesterday asking me to bring it in again. I had to call four times to try to get an appointment to bring it in and I still have been unable to get a firm time to bring it in.

If the bolts have been making it to the dealer then we should be getting a pretty quick turn-around. Feeling less concerned.

One note: Chrysler Capital is a different entity than the one that sold us our cars. They did not manufacture the vehicle and are not responsible for the problems we are having. They are basically a bank and have probably put our leases into a trust and sold them off as securities to our pension funds and the mutual funds we own. Not paying your lease is not an acceptable response to this issue. You will blow up your credit rating, face expensive penalties and deprive the manufacturer of nothing.

Pay your lease and take your issue up with Chrysler Corp for reimbursement.

da2ny
08-25-2013, 09:54 AM
You can read the letter sent from Chrysler/Fiat to the NHTSA regarding the recall here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM443242/RCDNN-13V358-9348.pdf. As I understand it, in July 156 cars had their motor/transmission units replaced (probably explaining the initial delivery delays). When this was done, the bolts connecting the half-shafts to the transmission were re-used. Because of a special Loc-tite type coating on the bolts, they should not have been used. After one of the first cars delivered to a customer in early August had the bolts come out and the car became undriveable, Fiat launched an investigation and identified the above referenced problem. However, during the investigation of the 156 cars, they also found some units where the bolts had been contaminated with grease, preventing them from being torqued properly. It was then determined that the problem was not limited to just the 156 units. Fiat then determined that all the bolts connecting the half-shafts to the transmission should be replaced on 491 500E's manufactured (and sold?) prior to August 13th. They still show no timetable for the repairs, but since the letter was sent to the NHTSA on August 20th, Fiat has now defined the problem and the solution, and will probably effect the repairs (which I am told takes approximately 45 minutes) starting this week.

seanoj
08-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Took my car in again yesterday for the actual recall work. The dealer's service guys say that they may be replacing half shafts on some vehicles as well as bolts on all vehicles. Got a call this morning from Chrysler's people saying that the parts are available for dealers and, depending on what the dealers have ordered, should be in stock and ready for work. I was told that some people already have their cars back.

The dealer said I should not expect the car back until some time next week at the earliest. Until then, I have a crappy Toyota rental that smells like stale smoke and drives like a shopping cart.

-Sean

webwevers
08-28-2013, 04:06 PM
My Dealer called today and said they will have my car ready this evening for me to pick it up. Hooray! They said that mine did not need any repairs, it was built after July 30th. They do need to inspect it fully before I pick it up. They said they will make sure it is washed and ready for me with a full charge for me to pick up this evening. Great service! Only problem I have is they gave me a brand new Mercedes GLK Suv as a loaner car and my wife is now thinking that she would like one of them, wants to take a look since we just happen to be driving by the Mercedes dealer. Anyway can't wait to be driving my car again. Love it!

Andree
08-28-2013, 10:32 PM
My Dealer called today and said they will have my car ready this evening for me to pick it up. Hooray! They said that mine did not need any repairs, it was built after July 30th. They do need to inspect it fully before I pick it up. They said they will make sure it is washed and ready for me with a full charge for me to pick up this evening. Great service! Only problem I have is they gave me a brand new Mercedes GLK Suv as a loaner car and my wife is now thinking that she would like one of them, wants to take a look since we just happen to be driving by the Mercedes dealer. Anyway can't wait to be driving my car again. Love it!

Great news!