PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500L TSB - Satellite Radio Button Doesn't Work

Fiat500USA
08-12-2013, 12:22 PM
RA3 Soft Touch SAT Button Does Not Work

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves updating the radio to 13.27.0 software level. The flash will remove
Satellite soft key the Soft Touch SAT Button on radios that do not have SAT.

MODELS:
2014 (BF) 500L

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before July 09, 2013 (MDH 0709XX) equipped with Uconnect 6.5A AM/FM/BT Voice (sales code RA3).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A customer may see a Sirius Satellite soft key (SAT button) on a vehicle that is not equipped with Sirius Satellite.

Vehicles equipped with SDARS (Satellite) and No SDARS (No Satellite) may have a fast reset condition of the radio while the navigation system is active.

Andree
08-12-2013, 03:20 PM
And what this says to me is there are indeed two radios. One with satellite, one without. And one cannot be zapped into the other.

MaxPower
08-13-2013, 05:35 AM
And what this says to me is there are indeed two radios. One with satellite, one without. And one cannot be zapped into the other.

Does "not equipped" refer to the fact that it isnt equipped with the appropriate software and sxm IDs needed or does it refer to something missing in the hardware?

I have not been able to find anyone who can explain specifically what is missing. Software? Internal Hardware? External Hardware? Antenna? etc. Knowing this would be helpful as then we could determine what is needed to resolve the issue with those who were sold a car with SXM, but did not receive it.

For example:
Do we need a completely new head unit?
An external SXM receiver that plugs into the unit?
A new antenna?
Combo of the above?

If there are two completely different head units then this should show up on the parts list with two separate parts numbers.
Does anyone know? Does anyone have a diagram/list of parts that can show what is missing?
Obviously if a new car was damaged or had a defective head unit, there would be a way to look up the required replacement parts.

jfitz
08-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Good Luck I've been fighting with them for a month dealership told me I had xm but don't nobody seems to know anything

Andree
08-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Have you asked at the parts department for the two different numbers? Do the homework.

Here is what is missing, and it would be stupid and wasteful to include on a vehicle without satellite:

"At the heart of a Sirius receiver is a custom application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) chip called the Baseband Integrated Circuit currently the STA240, which is produced by STMicroelectronics. The chip contains embedded ARM7TDMI and ARM946E-S microprocessors synthesized from IP cores. Every baseband has a unique Electronic Serial Number (or Sirius ID). Another major section of a Sirius receiver is the tuner. The tuner is also a custom ASIC, the STA210. The tuner connects to the antenna, and receives the incoming satellite and terrestrial signals at 2.315 GHz and downconverts them to intermediate frequency signals at around 75 MHz. The strength of the signals is approximately −50dBm in clear-sky conditions. The IF signals are fed to the STA240, which are digitized, demodulated, error-corrected, de-interleaved, and decrypted using specialized circuits on the chip. The baseband processor utilizes a 16 MB SDRAM memory to buffer four seconds of one of the satellite signals in order to bring it into time coincidence with the other for Maximal-ratio combining. On newer receivers with a "pause" feature, a dual-port PSRAM is employed to store up to 60 minutes of the selected channel. The baseband processor outputs digital audio over a Serial Peripheral Interface, which is fed to a D/A converter to produce the analog audio signal. The front-end of a Sirius receiver is called the head unit, required to display descriptive text (such as the category, channel, artist, and song name) and provide controls to the user. This is implemented by the third-party designers of Sirius-ready receivers, using a microprocessor of their choice."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Satellite_Radio#Signal_architecture_and_ear ly_prototypes

That's why there is no serial number. It can't be found because the baseband isn't in there.

rlove1221
08-13-2013, 10:24 PM

on the uConnect website nothing is mentioned about 2 radios. Only a 6.5" and 5"

http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/fiat/?year=2014

Andree
08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Does "not equipped" refer to the fact that it isnt equipped with the appropriate software and sxm IDs needed or does it refer to something missing in the hardware?

I have not been able to find anyone who can explain specifically what is missing. Software? Internal Hardware? External Hardware? Antenna? etc. Knowing this would be helpful as then we could determine what is needed to resolve the issue with those who were sold a car with SXM, but did not receive it.

For example:
Do we need a completely new head unit?
An external SXM receiver that plugs into the unit?
A new antenna?
Combo of the above?

If there are two completely different head units then this should show up on the parts list with two separate parts numbers.
Does anyone know? Does anyone have a diagram/list of parts that can show what is missing?
Obviously if a new car was damaged or had a defective head unit, there would be a way to look up the required replacement parts.

I tried doing your homework for you, by asking my parts department for part numbers. They wanted a VIN. I don't have a VIN.

The person I talked to said it either does or doesn't come with Satellite, and if it doesn't, it can't be upgraded...but she can't pull up parts for the car without the VIN apparently. And said the car was "too new" for parts, or something.

I'd looked around online for the parts too, and the couple of sites I looked at don't have 2014 car parts. That might be the "too new" thing.

Call your parts department, ask them about the parts and cost of parts and part numbers, if you wanted to upgrade your current set up to one that has Satellite.

MaxPower
08-14-2013, 04:45 PM
That's why there is no serial number. It can't be found because the baseband isn't in there.

How do you know this is the case with the Uconnect 6.5? Isn't it possible that the SXM is in a seperate module the plugs into the headunit? This is how most after market headunits do it. If this is the case the. It could be easily added.

The point is that this is not the consumer "homework" to know. Fiat should know and tell the dealers and us.

jfitz
08-16-2013, 04:12 PM
I went to the uconnect website to find out what is missing. The uconnect website dosen't mention not being able to get sirius on some 6.5 radios sent an email they sent an email back saying because of my issue they want to talk to me so they will call me in 1-2 business days