PDA

View Full Version : Flashing red throttle light

GileraWarren
08-12-2013, 07:39 AM
On my way home the other day after 2 hours of driving this red light on my display started flashing. The Icon looked like a throttle or choke butterfly. Then the throttle wouldn't work. The engine kept running but wouldn't rev up or accelerate. I pulled over and shut the engine off for about a minute. Started it again and everything worked fine the rest of the way home. I assume it was a throttle by wire problem but I'm wondering why? and is it likely to happen again? What caused it? and has anyone else experienced this? As a background I am always in sport mode and with the ASC disabled. It's part of my ritual when I get on the car. Push the sport button and push the ASC button twice and hold it for about 7 seconds.

jguerdat
08-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Check one is to try to pull any code from the ECU.

Fiat500USA
08-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Any mods done to the car?

Shagnwrx
08-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Sounds like you may have engaged the Break-Throttle-Override. That occurs when the brake is depressed for more than two seconds while the throttle is also depressed.

I've accidentally triggered it about 4 times over the past 18 months. It's usually when I have wide dress shoes on.

DuckDodgers
08-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Assuming it is the top right light on the speedometer...round abour 104 mph...it's the "Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Light."

Light on and steady...stop the car, switch off with shifter in neutral and restart, the light should go out. If it doesn/t the vehcile should be drivable but needs service as soon as possible.

Light on and flashing while the engine is running, immediate service is required...expect reduced performance, elevated idle, and possible stalling...vehicle may require towing.

(Data from paper Owners Manual)

GileraWarren
08-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Any mods done to the car?
No mods done to the engine, only suspension mods. And no codes showing on my OBDII tester. The instance when it happened was right after I passed another car on a two lane highway so I geared down to third and fourth gear to make the pass. I didn't hit red line and I don't think at any time I had my foot on the brake :confused

dylansi
08-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Never had the problem...

But I am from York, stationed in Hawaii now. Grew up in the Wrightsville (on the Susquehanna) and Craley areas. Parents live in Mount Wolf now. Where are you from?

Crazy Otto
08-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Happened to me about a month ago. Drove a bit pulled over read manual re ETC didn't seem like a big deal just restarted and everything was fine. Will have dealer check codes next oil change.

SLOWAbarth
08-14-2013, 11:04 AM
So, I've put the car into "limp" mode a couple of times and figured out the "habit" that would engage this.

When I'm coming off the highway and downshifting 5th to 4th, I noticed my foot on the brake for a couple of seconds while hitting the throttle. Basically if both pedals are engaged for a certain period of time, it will go into SAFE mode or LIMP mode.

It did this when getting off the highway. I haven't seen it happen in a while, I must have adjusted my driving style.

Scootin159
08-14-2013, 11:39 AM
I've also seen this a couple times, and I think I'm triggering it the exact same way as "SLOWAbarth". When going from 60-70 down to a stop sign at a highway off ramp, I'll often be riding the brake for a while - and simultaneously blipping the throttle and downshifting. If I don't go to 0% throttle between throttle blips (i.e. ride it slightly at 5-10% or so), I'll get to the end of the off ramp and go to pull out into traffic and find that I have zero power. Fun safety feature...

Fix has always been to try and get out of people's way as quickly as I can with no power, and then find as safe a spot as I can to pull over and avoid getting nailed while I reboot the car.

trevc
08-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah, another government mandated 'safety' feature that has unintended consequences that negatively affect those of us that actually know how to drive a car.
I am sure with the right equipment it could be disabled but then the insurance company would probably get upset if they found out.

FootScoot
08-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah, another government mandated 'safety' feature that has unintended consequences that negatively affect those of us that actually know how to drive a car.
I am sure with the right equipment it could be disabled but then the insurance company would probably get upset if they found out.

When all you do all day is polish the seat of your chair with your ass you don't have anything better to do than enact stupid crap to protect us from ourselves. Most of those in Washington DC are so far out of touch with reality they don't a single clue as to what life is really like. What idiots.