PDA

View Full Version : Headlights and Radio USB Issue?

schnizdawg
08-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Has anyone experienced this? Every time I turn on my headlights and I have my iPhone plugged in playing music, the turning on of the headlights turns off the USB connected device??? It's so weird. Then the iPhone switches back to music right away though. It's almost like the headlight switch is effecting the USB port when it draws headlight power for the first time. Service department guys were dumbfounded and couldn't diagnose. Told me to come back after either the radio or headlights quit working or the issue spreads. FYI, Stock 2013 Abarth with no mods.

Tweak
08-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the forum, never heard of this but hope they will get it fixed for you sometime soon.

FiatCACares
08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Has anyone experienced this? Every time I turn on my headlights and I have my iPhone plugged in playing music, the turning on of the headlights turns off the USB connected device??? It's so weird. Then the iPhone switches back to music right away though. It's almost like the headlight switch is effecting the USB port when it draws headlight power for the first time. Service department guys were dumbfounded and couldn't diagnose. Told me to come back after either the radio or headlights quit working or the issue spreads. FYI, Stock 2013 Abarth with no mods.

Schnizdawg,

Welcome to the Fiat 500 USA forum!

Has your Studio been able to duplicate your concerns? Did they advise that this is not normal operation? If you would like additional assistance reviewing your concerns, please PM me your VIN# and the name of your servicing dealer. I'd be happy to review this with you.

chi17agirl
05-12-2014, 02:27 PM

I am having the same issue! I'm driving along, and turn on my headlights and the car switches from iPod to the radio. Very annoying! I did aftermarket HID and thought the HID was pulling too much electricity. Looks like it's more likely a factory problem. Did they dealership figure out what the problem was?

pk9394
05-15-2014, 03:11 PM
I am having the same issue! I'm driving along, and turn on my headlights and the car switches from iPod to the radio. Very annoying! I did aftermarket HID and thought the HID was pulling too much electricity. Looks like it's more likely a factory problem. Did they dealership figure out what the problem was?

I just accepted the way it is, and I just leave the lights on all the time proplem fix LOL

alexyamil
12-17-2014, 07:01 PM

Hi, I had this problem with after market HID, i bought the Maddness HID kit and i solve the problem.

doverosx
12-18-2014, 02:43 PM
All of these things are actually controlled by the BCM. This is a BCM bug, complain to the studio, but I wouldn't expect a "quick fix".

nyc eng
01-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I have the same issue but chalked it up to my aftermarket bids.. So much for that

hownowcb
01-07-2015, 01:34 AM
This is a "variation" on my issue, which Fiat has either denied exists, or claims to have made an effort to "fix", diddling around with the radio connections at the fuse box.

My problem is similar, but different from what has been posted so far. If my old school iPod is plugged in via the USB port, it will randomly turn on the stereo without my permission -- sometimes where it left off on an iPod track, or sometimes the radio, on some random station I've never selected! I'd like to make a correlation with shifting into reverse, but that's my only gear choice when backing out of my garage, plus, it also happens without shifting into reverse, so that's not the trigger!

My solution is to simply not keep my iPod plugged in, but that's an actual inconvenience, when one considers the otherwise nice phone/iPod interface. I could swear I read about a TSB on one of the forums about this, but my Studio denied knowledge of said TSB when I took my car in, maybe in September of 2014.

99% of the time I'd rather listen to my Abarth's exhaust than any music, but it still annoys me that someone can't figure out what's actually and factually wrong with (probably not just) my stereo! Still, our system is way better than what poor Ford owners get to deal with! Whooo-aaahhh!

Megalomaniacal
04-08-2015, 01:58 PM
I am having this problem on my 2015

even with a relay installed.

Megalomaniacal
04-09-2015, 10:25 AM
I am using multiple USB thumbdrives with MP3s and switching the headlights on kills the drive. It eventually resets itself and can be reselected but I don't know why it happens.

schnizdawg
04-17-2015, 09:55 PM
I went to the dealer and showed them the issue while also getting my window regulator replaced, intermediate steering shaft replaced, and the rear deck lid replaced for breaking and bending in half. They had my abarth hooked up to their service computers and watched the radio change inputs when turning on the headlights. There was a slight voltage drop. We tried an android phone and the issue did not occur. Plugged back in my iPhone 6 and it happened again. It has something to do with the voltage draw of apple products is all of our guesses. They could not find a fix and asked me if it was a huge issue and if a field engineer from fiat should be called. I don't really want to deal with that wasted time of my day so declined the escalated offer and thanked them. I'll just replace the radio soon I guess and get Bluetooth streaming finally from the aftermarket. Ugh.

Megalomaniacal
04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
I switched to bluetooth streaming too.

did your headlight issue occur WITH or Without HIDs installed?

schnizdawg
04-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Happened before HIDs were put in with my iPhone 5 at the time. Still happens with my HIDs installed, but I don't trust the headlight power so I wired my HIDs via a relay directly to the battery. Shouldn't be an issue. That's even what the dealer said to me with my setup.

Megalomaniacal
04-22-2015, 10:23 AM
Happened before HIDs were put in with my iPhone 5 at the time. Still happens with my HIDs installed, but I don't trust the headlight power so I wired my HIDs via a relay directly to the battery. Shouldn't be an issue. That's even what the dealer said to me with my setup.

I have a relay harness to my battery too, it didn't do a damn thing, it is the harness that came from the same manufacturer as the HIDs