PDA

View Full Version : My Abarth MODS and Track Video for my INTRO - First Post

SLOWAbarth
08-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Howdy...

So, this is my second Abarth as my first one had engine problems and the car was lemon'd. In a nut shell, I love this car and I have been modding the crap out of it.

Here is what I've done so far:

MM Module
NEUF Shifter Adaptor ( worth it )
Madness Intake
Forge Actuator
Turbo Blankee
Crank Pulley
NEUF Rear swaybar
Passport QI45 with jammers
Suede Interior ( worth it lol )
Upgraded the crappy beats sub with a JL Audio 8 inch W3

That's about it so far...

My other cars are a C6 Z06 Track car, which is fully modded with road race goodies from Penske coilovers to Stoptech brakes to a fresh LS7 Crate motor, I call it my beater lol but I honestly drive the **** out of my Abarth more than anything.

I have a 2007 C4S Cab but I don't drive it much.

I'm rebuilding a 69 Chevelle but I'm not into old cars honestly.

Half of my job is I'm a drivers coach for some race series and I get to play at the local race tracks all the time... so here is a video from today. I did a 5 lap challenge with this pro driver buddy of mine and he beat me by .18 of a second.. of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGXXrBTFCg\

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/ABADBEA1-6529-42D8-A89F-ABF113CD2E47-2937-0000029CE1AA79F8_zpsfcd112f5.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/ABADBEA1-6529-42D8-A89F-ABF113CD2E47-2937-0000029CE1AA79F8_zpsfcd112f5.jpg.html)
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/356177B3-1AC1-4AD3-BB55-D0EFA46AEF6E-2937-0000029CDAEC1983_zpsfde1c4c9.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/356177B3-1AC1-4AD3-BB55-D0EFA46AEF6E-2937-0000029CDAEC1983_zpsfde1c4c9.jpg.html)
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/78AF1634-199B-4FB8-B02D-8FB312E0F697-2937-0000029D07B6A8B2_zps4df0f77d.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/78AF1634-199B-4FB8-B02D-8FB312E0F697-2937-0000029D07B6A8B2_zps4df0f77d.jpg.html)
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/A4062B28-B830-42BF-9801-6C3CBD1448D2-2937-0000029D343AE4F9_zpsf91471cc.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/A4062B28-B830-42BF-9801-6C3CBD1448D2-2937-0000029D343AE4F9_zpsf91471cc.jpg.html)
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/669FC2A5-5AC7-463E-B25F-E9BBE0D19948-2937-0000029D17E71488_zps33c5fc58.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/669FC2A5-5AC7-463E-B25F-E9BBE0D19948-2937-0000029D17E71488_zps33c5fc58.jpg.html)
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/1376A5EF-675A-4A34-AE5E-5B174F810662-2937-0000029D49E52A1C_zps3c2c7f71.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/1376A5EF-675A-4A34-AE5E-5B174F810662-2937-0000029D49E52A1C_zps3c2c7f71.jpg.html)
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/ED9B4F3D-225A-4178-853E-7D4B2426B67E-2937-0000029D558805C7_zps4eecc401.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/ED9B4F3D-225A-4178-853E-7D4B2426B67E-2937-0000029D558805C7_zps4eecc401.jpg.html)

SLOWAbarth
08-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Just installed HID's this morning...it's a never ending story...

millers500x
08-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Love the suede interior, how hard was it to install. keep up the good work.

shadyabarth
08-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Nice work..Did the JL sub require a stronger amp?

charliesheen
08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
good progress! I ve been thinking of upgrading the sub in my car too (2012 bose)...is it possible to just upgrade the sub w/amp but keep the rest stock? looks like u did.

FredS
08-14-2013, 06:38 PM
You seem to know a thing or two about cars so how did you end up with that Madness intake??

SLOWAbarth
08-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Love the suede interior, how hard was it to install. keep up the good work.

I had a local interior guy do it, he has been doing interiors for years and years. It takes time and the suede does not stretch...

Nice work..Did the JL sub require a stronger amp?

good progress! I ve been thinking of upgrading the sub in my car too (2012 bose)...is it possible to just upgrade the sub w/amp but keep the rest stock? looks like u did.

Yes, I installed a JL 250/1 amp and a bass knob hidden. Its about 4X louder.... What sub does the bose come with? I didn't see a sub box like the beats... You will need a specific type of line out converter for your Bose stereo, I think they are around $100. That line out convertor is how you get signal to your new sub/amp.

You seem to know a thing or two about cars so how did you end up with that Madness intake??

Interesting comment... I got the madness because my buddy had it. Know that I've done some research... I might of gone a different way. So, what do you suggest? Is there any data on air temp differences between intakes? I honestly don't care for the wastegate sound the madness intake has... Air temp is everything with these cars, as you seem to understand :-)

enginethatcould
08-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Interesting comment... I got the madness because my buddy had it. Know that I've done some research... I might of gone a different way. So, what do you suggest? Is there any data on air temp differences between intakes? I honestly don't care for the wastegate sound the madness intake has... Air temp is everything with these cars, as you seem to understand :-)

Can I offer a suggestion? The EuroCompulsion R3T V3! It's stylish, unobtrusive, and it still has a great sound and you can still hear the turbo sounds. Additionally, it's priced at a great point (~$280) that won't break the bank, and with the new Ram Air Boot that EuroCompulsion is offering the package is complete! Icing on the cake? Each order is shipped via 2-day air. It's the company I choose to spend my hard earned money with, and I thought I would offer a great suggestion for you too!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/9511437903_24cf68da49_z.jpg

SLOWAbarth
08-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Nice, I would like to see the CFM flow differences from this one and others. At the end of the day, it's not about more air, it's about "colder" air...

DIVSAbarth500
08-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Hmmmm. You first Abarth, which you modified, had engine problems and you are blaming the car for being a lemon? I guess that is how Karl Abarth would have wanted it.

SLOWAbarth
08-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Hmmmm. You first Abarth, which you modified, had engine problems and you are blaming the car for being a lemon? I guess that is how Karl Abarth would have wanted it.

You are assuming that I modded my first Abarth... The crank pulley pin sheered off and was out of timing by 3 degrees, which NO one could see or figure out until Fiat had the tech tear down the motor. Car had less than a 1000 miles on it. That crank pulley also had "different" bolts compared to any other Fiat. So, something was wack.... don't get me wrong, after the car was fixed it's fixed. It took 60 days to figure it out and being a new car, I asked if they would just put me in a new vehicle. The correct path is Lemon law...

It is what it is... even if I would've modded it, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act would stat for example, " that my intake could not of sheered off the crank pulley pin" see what I'm saying... Brembo brakes didn't break the pulley... for example.

BOOM lol

deathshead
08-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Nice, I would like to see the CFM flow differences from this one and others. At the end of the day, it's not about more air, it's about "colder" air...

absolutley!, the intake on there now goes right over the hottest part of the engine bay!,
Even with a fully wrapped turbo, etc, that bracket you can cook rib eyes on .

deathshead
08-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Great video and car, love the alcantara work!,

For the track you should try out the catless downpipe.
Crazyotto has a brand new one never used for sale cheap!,
it makes a HUGE night and day difference, makes the cars scream.

SLOWAbarth
08-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Great video and car, love the alcantara work!,

For the track you should try out the catless downpipe.
Crazyotto has a brand new one never used for sale cheap!,
it makes a HUGE night and day difference, makes the cars scream.

Night and day difference as far as power goes? How much louder is it going to be, who has one? I don't want it much louder lol

FredS
08-15-2013, 02:41 PM

If you don't mind noise, the ATM is very popular for gains. It draws air from the cowl area.
RRM's unit is popular - draw a mix of air from the rear of the engine bay and through the original intake tubing on the front of the car.
Eurocompulsion has two nice options available for a great price.
The injen looks promising as well - similar idea to the RRM unit.

The Madness one you have is the least well designed unfortunately. Passes right over the hottest part of the engine.
They are claiming high gains for their joint effort with BMC which is another option.

MADNESSLuckyJay
08-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Only to a certain point on a turbo car, the air will get hot as soon as it hits the turbo from the intake, the intercoolers job is to chill it. The high-flow intake you have was developed to give max flow, combined with the blanket and inner ceramic coating, it will stand up to any of the others

MADNESSLuckyJay
08-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Once we get the filters from BMC we will start shipping our BMC kit, it is completely closed off system, plumbed from the factory inlet, through the BMC, then to the turbo, will be a little quieter than our High-Flow

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=bmc&category_id=0&product_id=1986

808Abarth
08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
idk.... i studied the intake designs on many. and dealing with air flow and keeping heat out. including water. (i live in hawaii) i will go with eurocov3 also. i love the design. the tube to the intake is solid all the way threw. andddd it keeps the oem flow for the front ram to force cold air directly to the filter. This plus the ATM FMIC. win win. also yes the thermal blanket on turbo and thermal wrap on the intake tube. G UNIT! haha
just my 2cents.

500MADNESS.com
08-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Guys sorry to jump in here for a bit, but many of you may recall some folks making comments about how our MADNESS Intake is routed and some made comments how the intake must be inferior to some others in its design because it is sitting over the hot part of the engine bay. We have continously stated that in a turbo car it is all about airflow and not about cold air. As Jay stated that is the job of the intercooler since any air coming in would be instantly hot once it enters the turbo.

Then a well respected member (zonker) on this and other boards (that has never bought any items from us) did his own comparison with one of our older intakes that he borrowed from another owner. What he found was exactly what we have stated all along. Our intake performed very well and the temps were very similar and in some cases even better then some other options offered.

This intake has been very well received and continues to be a very popular upgrade over the factory system. Switching to another intake will not give you any more gain and will not give you any added benefits other then a different look and a maybe a different sound. Biggest thing to remember.... Cold Air Intake for a Non Turbo Car, Hi Flow Intake for a Turbo Car!

In a turbo car incoming air temps do not matter, in a non turbo car it makes a huge difference.

Thanks everyone and as always if you have any questions please do not hesitate to give us a buzz.

SLOWAbarth... the car is coming along nicely! I did my interior in Alcantara too and it really made the inside look much nicer.

808Abarth
08-15-2013, 10:13 PM
HUH. will i guess i have to disagree with your statement. inlet air temp is important. if you could grab colder air. DO IT! it is no more less restrictive then the tubing that it is already in. People run tests all the time and is very disguessed in forums all over. cooler inlet temps will have cooler leaving temps after the intercooler. the turbo can warm up the air only so much and the intercooler can only cool down the air so much. So it does make a huge factor in sucking in cooler air. 50degrees is a butt load. but i do not have evidence on this car to support my statement so i just have to go with what i have learned from other turbo experiences.. the problem is, getting the cold air could be very restricting and cause a vacuum and actually doing the opposite effect.

edited: /\ meaning grabbing the cooler air with longer plumbing.

deathshead
08-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Guys sorry to jump in here for a bit, but many of you may recall some folks making comments about how our MADNESS Intake is routed and some made comments how the intake must be inferior to some others in its design because it is sitting over the hot part of the engine bay. We have continously stated that in a turbo car it is all about airflow and not about cold air. As Jay stated that is the job of the intercooler since any air coming in would be instantly hot once it enters the turbo.

Then a well respected member (zonker) on this and other boards (that has never bought any items from us) did his own comparison with one of our older intakes that he borrowed from another owner. What he found was exactly what we have stated all along. Our intake performed very well and the temps were very similar and in some cases even better then some other options offered.

This intake has been very well received and continues to be a very popular upgrade over the factory system. Switching to another intake will not give you any more gain and will not give you any added benefits other then a different look and a maybe a different sound. Biggest thing to remember.... Cold Air Intake for a Non Turbo Car, Hi Flow Intake for a Turbo Car!

In a turbo car incoming air temps do not matter, in a non turbo car it makes a huge difference.

Thanks everyone and as always if you have any questions please do not hesitate to give us a buzz.

SLOWAbarth... the car is coming along nicely! I did my interior in Alcantara too and it really made the inside look much nicer.

"In a turbo car incoming air temps do not matter"

No disrespect, but....

Have you guys ever heard of something called science? Or do you also believe that dinosaurs were around when man walked the earth?

From an engineering standpoint, That is the one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read on any automotive forums.

You guys really need to rethink the way you word your sales pitches and you are essentially peeing on the non informed potential customers heads and telling them its raining, and furthermore, statements like that void any credibility you have, especially when you project the total opposite views when selling other products to make a sale.

deathshead
08-15-2013, 10:34 PM
How many THOUSAND proven examples do we need to prove this fact?
A simple Google search and we show hit 1 as a prime example here.

http://stratifiedauto.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/hot-and-cold-air-temperature-difference-mazdaspeed6.jpg

Your not going to win this argument. Fact is fact.

DIVSAbarth500
08-15-2013, 10:39 PM
You are assuming that I modded my first Abarth... The crank pulley pin sheered off and was out of timing by 3 degrees, which NO one could see or figure out until Fiat had the tech tear down the motor. Car had less than a 1000 miles on it. That crank pulley also had "different" bolts compared to any other Fiat. So, something was wack.... don't get me wrong, after the car was fixed it's fixed. It took 60 days to figure it out and being a new car, I asked if they would just put me in a new vehicle. The correct path is Lemon law...

It is what it is... even if I would've modded it, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act would stat for example, " that my intake could not of sheered off the crank pulley pin" see what I'm saying... Brembo brakes didn't break the pulley... for example.

BOOM lol

Oh ok. I guess that is how Karl Abarth intended.

deathshead
08-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Night and day difference as far as power goes? How much louder is it going to be, who has one? I don't want it much louder lol

Absolutely night and day difference! Where the stock downpipe chokes the car on top end is if it were governed,
Kind of like restrictor plates on round round cars, just swapping to a cat less or super high flow cat transforms the car to pull right into revlimiter in every gear. Without the downpipe and intake my car would just hit a wall, no more rpm, no more boost, only option is to shift up and bog. Now it feels like a sportbike.

I have been running the TMC cat less downpipe on mine for almost a year now, I couldn't imagine driving the car with the stock unit.
I'm ready to upgrade as soon as a vendor puts a downpipe with integrated mid pipe on the market to fix the second bottleneck.

Noise wise, just swapping out the downpipe will be obnoxiously LOUD!!!!!!

I ended up running a magna flow magna pack, but it was too quiet, and made the car too bassy, it lost all its raw character and tone.. It was terrible..

I swapped that out for a vibrant resonator, the shorest one they make, all stainless. I will have to pull up the part number, it was 53 bucks shipped, at first it was great, then I wasn't too crazy about it, but I'll tell you what, after putting 6000 to 8k moles on it, its broken in nicely and the tone if amazing, people go absolutely bonkers when they hear it.

808Abarth
08-15-2013, 10:46 PM
thread explosion!

But it all seriousness. i love your carS and my dream of a job you have. hahahahahaha. can i take lessons?! seriously.. but welcome to the forums. BANG!
thewave

500MADNESS.com
08-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Guys,

Not us, not any member of our company, but an fellow board owner himself did a whole thread on intakes and his personal findings. He took our intake and compared it to many others on the market and posted his own findings. His own findings were that the location of our pipe did not have any difference on the intake temperatures he measured due to the amount of airflow that our intake was getting from the location of the filter.

We did not pay him in anyway, did not ask him to do the testing and did not know what he was going to post until he posted it. We have had 100's of people install these and 100's of positive reviews. The intake is a sell out and continuous to be a sell out. Look up some older threads made by Zonker and you will see his exact findings and his exact temperature readings.

He testing the previous intake that he received from another member. We even volunteered to send him (and did) a new intake that has had further improvements for further testing.

So, believe what you would like. The fact is in a turbo the thing that matters most in an intake is airflow and a design that allows cleaner air going to the filter. The cleaner the air, the longer it takes for the filter to clog. The longer a filter is clean and more sustainable airflow you get. More airflow, more gain (to a certain point).

Our design does a better job guiding cleaner incoming air to the filter then some other units. Due to this we are able to keep our intake temps good, but also provide good airflow to the filter and cleaner air since outside air front the front and not dirties air from the engine bay is being routed to the filter.

500MADNESS.com
08-16-2013, 12:06 AM
".... especially when you project the total opposite views when selling other products to make a sale.

We have always stated that in a "Non Turbo Car" the colder the air, the better.

We still stand by that. We have also stated that an intercooler does most of the cooling in a Turbo car. We stand by that statement.

We have also stated that all the testing done on our intake showed that the temps were inline with all other intakes and at times even better then some. The latest test was done by a forum member on this very same board with no input from us. He posted his results in detail on another thread about one month ago.

His own findings were a confirmation to many and a dissapointment to a few that wanted to see really bad results and did not see them.

Guys, we are not here to pick fights or argue. The simple matter is that if you do not like a product do not buy it, but do not go bad mouthing a product from a vendor (regardless of who they are) based on your "opinion" or something you read on some forum or website and state it as fact.

We have a fabricator inhouse that is our full time employee that has built more race cars then probably anyone on this forum, our shop manager has traveled the world working for BMW and Ford Race Teams for years prior to joining us and our parts designer Jay (who is on this forum) has spent six plus years designing parts for companies like Edelbrock.

While I personally may not be the wisest when it comes to mechanics and inner workings of every component I have a great team behind me that knows their stuff and have a record to prove it. That is who I ultimately trust and so far they have not let me down.

500MADNESS.com
08-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Moderators,

Sorry that this thread has turned in to another Intake Thread.

We will not post any more comments on intakes here and let it go back to the Intro thread that it started as.

Congrats on the car again! Looks great so far!

Please when you get a chance let us know how well charging the sub worked out. I have been thinking of doing the same in the 500L we just got for my wife. She has the Beats System and it could use a little help.

SLOWAbarth
08-16-2013, 09:22 AM
CFM flow and Air temps are of course going to vary per intake. At the end of the day, this little 1.4L gets hot. Whatever intake you have, if it's under the hood, it's going to be hot. Then we have atmosphere variables...and other variables...

Like MADNESS said, it's the intercoolers job to cool the air. I personally will not be replacing the intake with the goal of getting lower AITs vrs diverting focus towards the intercooler. The energy in this topic really should be pushed towards the intercooler but that mod is 2X the cost and has pros/cons.

If we lined up 4 Abarths with 4 different intakes, let them all sit for 10 mins while running and then raced...I bet they would all be pretty equal.

Otherwise, Thanks Art and Joseph from Madness with helping the local Dallas Abarth owners. There are Abarths everywhere in Dallas, ****, even the chick I'm talking to has one! HIGHFIVE!

melanzane
08-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Just installed HID's this morning...it's a never ending story...

How did you handle the coolant reservoir when installing the passenger side HID? I found that the HID ballast module is so deep that when you try to get the cap seal on it is brushing against the bracket for the coolant reservoir.

I've got it wedged tight but I was thinking of dremeling off a bit of the plastic tab of the coolant reservoir to have some clearance.

I don't think these HID modules were designed with the Abarth's engine bay in mind...

Fiat500USA
08-18-2013, 09:29 PM
How did you handle the coolant reservoir when installing the passenger side HID? I found that the HID ballast module is so deep that when you try to get the cap seal on it is brushing against the bracket for the coolant reservoir.

I've got it wedged tight but I was thinking of dremeling off a bit of the plastic tab of the coolant reservoir to have some clearance.

I don't think these HID modules were designed with the Abarth's engine bay in mind...

I have the feeling you may have a different set of HIDs than I do, but here is how I installed mine. I had a separate ballast and installed them underneath the overflow tank.

Fiat 500 Accessories: Installing the BFxenon HID Kit (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/09/fiat-500-accessories-installing-bfxenon.html)