PDA

View Full Version : my walmart sucks. what oil to buy.

808Abarth
08-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Im at walmart and the oil selection isnt that great but there are a few choices. They do have chevron delo 400le full syn at 5w-40 and this mobil 1 5w-40 but both say ita for desiel trucks.... lol there is also the 0 40 euro mobil 1 but sold individual by quarts.
Is the truck ones ok to use??

808Abarth
08-08-2013, 09:05 PM
/\ is the diesel one ok to use**

anyways. I went down the st to Donquiote (japan store) and Bought 5w-40 Euro Approved Eneos full syn oil.
always here great things from them and always used them in my jdm cars n motors. says they have been tested and proven for euro cars. Approved with all that certifications. so why not give it a chance. 10$ a quart but its good friken oil.

dart1.4t
08-08-2013, 09:40 PM
/\ is the diesel one ok to use**

anyways. I went down the st to Donquiote (japan store) and Bought 5w-40 Euro Approved Eneos full syn oil.
always here great things from them and always used them in my jdm cars n motors. says they have been tested and proven for euro cars. Approved with all that certifications. so why not give it a chance. 10$ a quart but its good friken oil.

it depends on how much you believe the warranty people at chrysler. diesel oils, particularly rotella t6, mostly because it's cheap and a lot of people have tried it are considered safe for cars and performs extremely well. you know the application of oil by the api rating, the words on the label are just marketing. 2 letters beginning with an "S" are automotive oils. api "SN" is the most recent, "SM" is still current though. starting with "C" is diesel. "CF" is the most recent spec. so if it has both and most "diesel oils" do, it is safe for cars. rotella t6 even has a jaso MA motorcycle rating.

the official chrysler spec for the fiat only allows pennzoil ultra euro. but on the dart they changed the spec a few months ago to allow an older spec they used for the "srt" cars, ms-10725 which includes some mobil1 0w-40, it'll be on the back of the bottle. the euro formula mobil1 0w-40 at my walmart show ms-10850 though, amsoil also has this spec and claims it is ok for the dart/fiat, but they don't say where they get that information.

amazon might be the only place to get the pennzoil if you want to satisfy the warranty people, they are supposedly having supply problems and even some dealers are using alternative oils. so if you just want good oil most api sm/cf or sn/cf oils are of high quality and should not cause damage. there is also a fiat spec in europe. FIAT 9.55535-S2 http://www.oilspecifications.org/fiat.php it doesn't seem to indicate anything special outside of normal sm/sn/cf testing and notice they use this spec for diesels as well. so don't be put off by the word diesel on the label of an oil bottle.

808Abarth
08-08-2013, 09:57 PM
it depends on how much you believe the warranty people at chrysler. diesel oils, particularly rotella t6, mostly because it's cheap and a lot of people have tried it are considered safe for cars and performs extremely well. you know the application of oil by the api rating, the words on the label are just marketing. 2 letters beginning with an "S" are automotive oils. api "SN" is the most recent, "SM" is still current though. starting with "C" is diesel. "CF" is the most recent spec. so if it has both and most "diesel oils" do, it is safe for cars. rotella t6 even has a jaso MA motorcycle rating.

the official chrysler spec for the fiat only allows pennzoil ultra euro. but on the dart they changed the spec a few months ago to allow an older spec they used for the "srt" cars, ms-10725 which includes some mobil1 0w-40, it'll be on the back of the bottle. the euro formula mobil1 0w-40 at my walmart show ms-10850 though, amsoil also has this spec and claims it is ok for the dart/fiat, but they don't say where they get that information.

amazon might be the only place to get the pennzoil if you want to satisfy the warranty people, they are supposedly having supply problems and even some dealers are using alternative oils. so if you just want good oil most api sm/cf or sn/cf oils are of high quality and should not cause damage. there is also a fiat spec in europe. FIAT 9.55535-S2 http://www.oilspecifications.org/fiat.php it doesn't seem to indicate anything special outside of normal sm/sn/cf testing and notice they use this spec for diesels as well. so don't be put off by the word diesel on the label of an oil bottle.

thank you so much!!! i didnt trust my studio here because they keep on not fitting my needs. haha..
so i will do it my dam self.
eneos oil did have api SN/CF

dylansi
08-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Did you stop down at the Studio and see if they have the oil in stock? Last time I was there they did and I think they only charged me $8.xx a quart...I have 2 and 3/4 quarts left if you need them? Im not due for another 1500 miles or so. Still haven't taken my car in for the "free" oil change. As with you I do not trust this service center. I have the trans leak also and am putting it off due to them.

I see you have a 82 celica/supra. I had an MKIII, 87 turbo, back in the day, probably my favorite car I have owned to date.

808Abarth
08-08-2013, 11:52 PM
I havent gone there to check on oil but i believe i found something that may b better. im not to sure but i snapped a few shots of wht i bought.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/Paoloiscool/20130808_174610_zps9c3922a1.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Paoloiscool/media/20130808_174610_zps9c3922a1.jpg.html)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/Paoloiscool/20130808_174601_zps765b2da8.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Paoloiscool/media/20130808_174601_zps765b2da8.jpg.html)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/Paoloiscool/20130808_174548_zpsa34bfe71.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Paoloiscool/media/20130808_174548_zpsa34bfe71.jpg.html)

I love my toyota. I sold my other 89 toyota supra 5spd turbo earlier this year to someone on kaui. but my 82 i will keep foreever. lol. its still in the friken shop! haha

dylansi
08-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Really? I may have seen it on Craigslist if you had it there. I was going to buy one here but gave up, I couldn't find a clean enough one to buy.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Guyz, I had the same bad experience at the LS. They charged me $80 to use my homemade lift blocks because their lift was antiquated and could not go under my lowered car. ;/ What a rip! That's why I avoid them at all costs unless I absolutely need warranty work. However, the parts guy, Jerry, is very helpful. I bought my last supply of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5/40 from him for about $8-$9/qt. I changed my oil twice already and plan to keep buying it from him unless he jacks the price. I bought my first 6 pack from Amazon for about the same price with free shipping. They were out of stock, but it might be available again.

dylansi
08-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Yea when I bought my Abarth Danny told me about your car. I go down there for oil and filters...thats it. Saw a brand new Nero, no stripes or mirror caps today heading onto Ft Shafter. Had the HI temp tag on the back, waved to him and he just looked, no wave back.

808- my last post may have came out wrong. Not that I couldn't find a clean one, (yours may have been clean) but one that someone wasn't charging 10k for or didnt have a blown head gasket, im looking for a stock 90-92 (i know the 92s are uber rare).

Do either of you run the autocross at the stadium? I dont even know if they have it anymore.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Yea when I bought my Abarth Danny told me about your car. I go down there for oil and filters...thats it. Saw a brand new Nero, no stripes or mirror caps today heading onto Ft Shafter. Had the HI temp tag on the back, waved to him and he just looked, no wave back.

808- my last post may have came out wrong. Not that I couldn't find a clean one, (yours may have been clean) but one that someone wasn't charging 10k for or didnt have a blown head gasket, im looking for a stock 90-92 (i know the 92s are uber rare).

Do either of you run the autocross at the stadium? I dont even know if they have it anymore.

I haven't or have any real desire since they basically run around cones in the parking lot under timed trials. I believe the local SCCA chapter still runs it, but I haven't seen their results in the paper lately. Perhaps an event is coming up shortly? Try google it and see what u come up with.

deathshead
08-09-2013, 12:01 PM
best oil at walmart - rotella t synthetic

FredS
08-09-2013, 01:33 PM

808Abarth
08-09-2013, 07:02 PM
awesome response guys!! i dont go to them for ANYTHING!! i order all my parts threw rockauto and i really dont mind waiting a few days.

mine was blue. cherry. no rust. fixed and tuned it up myself. put it on craigs annddddd sold within a day. lol. shouldve raised the price. haha but im not greedy. the car scene is so tiny over here i know everybody haha.

the only rotella they had did not meet our requirments. walmart sucks here. everything sucks here. hahaha.

dylansi
08-09-2013, 07:22 PM
awesome response guys!! i dont go to them for ANYTHING!! i order all my parts threw rockauto and i really dont mind waiting a few days.

mine was blue. cherry. no rust. fixed and tuned it up myself. put it on craigs annddddd sold within a day. lol. shouldve raised the price. haha but im not greedy. the car scene is so tiny over here i know everybody haha.

the only rotella they had did not meet our requirments. walmart sucks here. everything sucks here. hahaha.

I agree with most everything sucking.

Dealer is the best place to get the oil.

Wish I would have seen your Supra or you still had it for me to check it out. After two blown headgaskets I had to part with mine. Nothing like taking the targa off and cruising down some country back roads.

dart1.4t
08-10-2013, 09:15 AM
best oil at walmart - rotella t synthetic

that would be rotlla "t6" in the blue bottle.

also i have to correct myself from earlier. "cj-4" is the most recent diesel spec. not cf. cf is obsolete. guess my memory is getting rusty. so an sm/cj-4 or sn/cj-4 oil (like rotella t6) meets some testing that you sn/cf oil doesn't. it's really impossible to know what though. but you could spend time on the "bobistheoilguy.com" forums to figure it out. seems you can pretty much put rotella t-6 in anything, it's never really a bad choice.

amazon.com is a good place to find things especially the chrysler approved oil. redline also has oil that has a chrysler ms-10725 rating which the dart 4th edition manual says is ok. the redline oil is an ester base stock which has a high film strength and lubricity which are important on our somewhat low speed engine with such a high torque output for it's size.