PDA

View Full Version : Rear main seal leak..??

purl1
08-08-2013, 06:14 AM
ive read alot of posts on this issue here. I went to get a oil change and this is what they said was wrong with it. he showed it to me. I have had the car for barely 3 months and the car is barely a year old.
he said I needed to take it to the dealer because it is major work and it should be covered under warrenty. I called the local Fiat service station told them what it was and I cant bring it until next week.

I asked if it was covered under warrenty he said yes with no deductable im just worried he will come back with all these charges. hopefully they give me a car to use , because from what im reading it takes awhile to get fixed

This is obviously a real issue here. Im wondering if it is from a certain run or factory?

Fiat500USA
08-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hear you have an issue, but the dealer will take care of it for you. Stuff like this happens from time to time on cars, and it isn't a huge deal for the service department, so try not to worry too much about it. You don't get charged for warranty work so you won't get a bill. They may have to check out the car to make sure it is a rear main seal. Sometimes oil leaks from somewhere else and it can even be spilt oil from when someone added it. They'll need to make sure and may even put a dye in the oil and have you come back after driving it a certain period of time. Naturally, they can't replace something that isn't broken, so they have to make sure they investigate to find the problem.

As far as this being a big issue, that is hard to say. There are 100,000 Fiat 500s on the road in North America and only a few thousand owners are on the forums. Most don't post, so if you see 5 people with an issue, it may seem like a lot, but the reality is it is a small percentage. Also, remember that all car companies have warranties and service departments and doing rear main seals is a job that is not uncommon on a car.

Let us know how you make out.

Abarth67
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
There is a Gucci model in the local service department that is getting a new rear main seal. It is a very large job, the entire front of the car is removed and the engine/tranny must be split apart to get to it. I can imagine that the Abarth is even more work with all of the extra parts in the front with the turbo.

hecbom
08-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Guys I bought a VW Vanagon back in 1988 and with less than 8,000 mi it had to go back for a rear main seal. Well if you think that is bad, I had 5 seals replaced before the warrantee ran out YES! 5 rear main seals! this is not a joke, it is true my friends. I still own the van and I did rebuild the engine last year so the fix around it was to enlarge the small capillary that drains the oil from the seal back to the sump. This was the only way to fix the problem. Most owners of these vehicles have the same issues so it was in my opinion a design flaw with the watercooled "boxer" engine. Hopefully my 2013 Abarth will not have this problem and so far with less that 3000 no leaks!

NGEN
08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
We had the rear main seal leak on our 2012 Gucci Hardtop and I just had the rear main seal replaced on my Abarth (apparently I was one of the first Abarths). From what the service department told me , some of the seals got pinched slightly in production and can cause the leak. They will take care of you and give you a loaner if you want. Better for it to happen now under warranty than later and have to pay all that labor to remove it. Non-turbo cars are about 8 hours and the turbo is 9-10 hours. They have to drop the entire engine/trans out to replace the seal.

littlejohn
08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
This can't still be happening with 2013s? They've known about this since it was reported on the early 2012s, or? This item goes beyond the few bugs people are willing to put up with in a new, nearly new vehicle, at least in my view, and it can't be good for those out there venting to their friends and relatives about their new car purchase ...a large group, across the country much bigger than this board. I'm depressed a bit from these reports, since I am still up for buying an Abarth or 500L Sorry to hear...what is the fix needed at the factory build level, or?

lammie200
08-14-2013, 06:47 PM
This can't still be happening with 2013s?...

I believe that the OP owns a 2012.

littlejohn
08-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Yes, 2012, thanks...I hope this issue is fixed on the 2013 and going forward.

Seafarer61
08-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Had my Jan build (2013) Abarth in for its first oil change (4K) and no leaks whatsoever, FWIW.

Agent P
08-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Glad to see this thread! This happened to my Fiat in July of this year. At the 24K oil change the dealer informed me that they needed to replace the rear main seal and it was described as a major undertaking just as NGenFiat describes. I was given a loaner and didn't get the car back for a week. The whole time the car was there I was nervous like a mother with their kid in the hospital, wondering how it was all going to come out and what a horrific repair for such a young car. Luckily it was covered under Forward Care but I suspect it would have been covered under the other basic 4year/50K warranty?

How can you tell when your car was built? Mine is definitely a 2012, and I bought it at the end of 2012 year.

dmcniel
06-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Yes I just was told during an Oil change that is a rear main oil sealant leak will be going to my dealer to get this fixed while under warranty it seems to be a major problem any recall yet????

trevc
06-12-2014, 10:22 PM
You're the first person I have heard of in a while that has the issue.
it is nowhere near a big enough problem for a recall.
Did you look at the dates on the other posts in this thread?

Yes I just was told during an Oil change that is a rear main oil sealant leak will be going to my dealer to get this fixed while under warranty it seems to be a major problem any recall yet????

Tweak
06-13-2014, 12:12 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I just got my Abarth back from the dealer after having a couple things done to include a oil leak repair. No recall but my concern is if I made it to about 20K and it is leaking and they have no redesigned anything then how long till it happens again.

Ultrarider
06-13-2014, 08:37 AM
I have had mine replaced twice. The dealer caused more damage fixing the seal. Missing fasteners, loose / missing nuts and bolts. They left the transmission mount bolt loose and damaged the mount that needed to be replaced. Awful experience. Hope your experience is better.

Tweak
06-13-2014, 01:54 PM
I have had mine replaced twice. The dealer caused more damage fixing the seal. Missing fasteners, loose / missing nuts and bolts. They left the transmission mount bolt loose and damaged the mount that needed to be replaced. Awful experience. Hope your experience is better.

This is scary to read...so far I haven't noticed any problem since the repair but it was obviously a concern.

(Still is a bit of course as it might be awhile before problems arise).

dylansi
06-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Ive had a leak since my first 1k oil change. Just called today to schedule an appointment for them to look at it.

sjmst
06-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Add my 2012 Abarth to the list. 49,500 miles so just under the wire for warranty!

trevc
06-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Bummer. Appears people are still having this issue. Not a good sign.

Tweak
06-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Bummer. Appears people are still having this issue. Not a good sign.

Worst is when I had mine fixed I asked had they redesigned or adjusted anything to keep this from happening again and was told no changes. Matter of time it'll probably happen again. :(

dylansi
06-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Dealer put some dye in mine today to find where the leak is. I go back next Monday for them to check.

AudiGuy
06-18-2014, 11:22 AM
While we had my car on the lift yesterday to put on the exhaust we noticed a leak from the RMS. looks like ill be bringing it in..

opiateESP
06-18-2014, 11:46 AM
All you folks with rear main seal leaks. If you've been thinking of doing a clutch upgrade, this is the best time to do it. My studio threw mine in for me at no charge since it had to come off anyways.

AudiGuy
06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
All you folks with rear main seal leaks. If you've been thinking of doing a clutch upgrade, this is the best time to do it. My studio threw mine in for me at no charge since it had to come off anyways.

I thought about that. But who makes one other than that one guy? I cant buy anything from him.

Tweak
06-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I thought about that. But who makes one other than that one guy? I cant buy anything from him.

Thought Tork and RRM offered an upgraded clutch? Sorry to hear you too have the leak issue, I was sad mine had to go away for awhile. Hope they get yours fixed quickly!

mneuman916
06-18-2014, 12:39 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/PRe0BcXo6bcxa/giphy.gif

opiateESP
06-18-2014, 12:50 PM

It's a very good part but it's your choice.

AudiGuy
06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
It's a very good part but it's your choice.
Thanks, but RRM and EC sell one. There will be no use for the dark side. The Force is too strong with this one.

Sales@roadrace
06-18-2014, 01:20 PM
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_119&products_id=2040

AudiGuy
06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_119&products_id=2040

Thanks, I was just looking at that. Is there any difference between the one you, EC, and Turd sell?

Sales@roadrace
06-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks, I was just looking at that. Is there any difference between the one you, EC, and Turd sell?

Didn't see one on ECs website, have a link? Maybe he's selling ours? No clue about that 3rd one. Ours is one we have put together, so probably different. No need to go too crazy with it, I think Rob did a great job with it

mneuman916
06-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Didn't see one on ECs website, have a link? Maybe he's selling ours? No clue about that 3rd one. Ours is one we have put together, so probably different. No need to go too crazy with it, I think Rob did a great job with it

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/miscengineperformance.htm

Sales@roadrace
06-18-2014, 02:47 PM
http://www.eurocompulsion.net/miscengineperformance.htm

Thanks, didn't think it'd be under engine. Well those are the pics I took of ours, soooooo :)

And for the Intercooler people, looks like domorace.it has it really figured out, upgraded SMIC

purl1
06-19-2014, 06:02 PM
seems like the rear main seal leak is a 2012 problem.. once I got mine fixed I havent had a issue, knock on wood.

Tweak
06-19-2014, 10:12 PM
seems like the rear main seal leak is a 2012 problem.. once I got mine fixed I havent had a issue, knock on wood.

I have a 2013 that leaked in 2014. Just saying.

mapo411
07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
My 2012 Sport is in the shop ... they found an oil leak when doing my oil change last week. They were not sure if it is the oil pan or rear seal. I am told they just did one on another FIAT a week or two ago. They did not mention that model. They DID say that it is not unusual but does take 3 days.

I am waiting to see what they find on that end. Looks like my new lil baby is getting a lot of work done. Probably why the last owner sold her...but am trying to get everything under 50K warranty wire.