PDA

View Full Version : Rear door tweeters

Curious
08-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Ok folks I got an Easy 2 days ago. It's got the Beats stereo system which rocks by the way. See another thread I started about how many speakers 6, 8 or 10 and where. One of the first things I did was to check the rear door tweeters. As expected no sound comes out of them. Take a close look at them and you will see that there's no speakers behind those speaker covers. So why put the covers there unless Fiat plans to let folks add them later? But to do that they should have pre-wired the doors for such future speakers.

I asked their parts department to see if they can order rear tweeters. Answer, no. So I asked them if I could order front speakers, same answer. No surprise as right now they need to have all speakers in the production line. Perhaps they will offer that later on.

And perhaps Jonathan from Fiat cares can shed some light on these mysterious speaker covers. What's the 411 Jonathan? Thanks in advance.

In my previous thread some people speculated that what appears to be speakers in the trunk may be for air venting. That's not what they ar for. They give access so you can replace tail light bulbs, back up lights.

I think some may have thought that one was for the Beats bass speaker. Not the case. The Beats bass speaker is in a large black box to the right of the tire inflator kit.

Oh and for everyone's info I still plan to take my 500L to a car stereo place to ask them to see if there's wires for it inside and if they can install their own tweeters in back. Will let you all know what I find out. Will not be for at least 3 weeks as I take a 2 week vacation starting next week and will not mess with this on my vacation. Road trip ahead in my new 500L

Andree
08-19-2013, 12:20 PM
How was the vacation/road trip? Did the 500L do everything you needed it to do?

I'll put this in now, so when you get back it will be here waiting. LOL

Curious
08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
The drive was great. White water rafting even better. The GPS system works just wonderfully. It's amazing how well it keeps track of the speed limits. I use the GPS to check what speed I should be going. And I was super impressed at how easily the 500L goes up big mountains.

Andree
08-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Wonderful!

I like the idea of the GPS knowing the speed limit. There are a few places around here where I've wondered, it's not apparent, no signs anywhere.

Very glad to hear about the mountain capabilities. The L has done well at everything you've thrown at it!

Was it more fun with the big windows, to see out?

White water rafting sounds fun! I did one of those long river day trips once, years ago. It's something I would like to have done more often.

n00dle
08-20-2013, 04:00 PM
hmm.. interesting because I noticed that the speed limits are off through streets I'm very familiar with and have posted speed limits. I was going through a section of PCH and it's telling me the limit is 35 when it is 55mph. I thought it was odd and that perhaps the maps needed to be updated? I wonder if there's a map update if it can download via satellite or is it something we have to go into a studio for?

Curious
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
To me this is one cool tool. It's so very accurate. The neat thing to notice is when the speed limit will change from 45 to 55. The GPS system changes speed limit postings literally within feet of the new speed limit signs.

Curious
08-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Wonderful!

I like the idea of the GPS knowing the speed limit. There are a few places around here where I've wondered, it's not apparent, no signs anywhere.

Very glad to hear about the mountain capabilities. The L has done well at everything you've thrown at it!

Was it more fun with the big windows, to see out?

White water rafting sounds fun! I did one of those long river day trips once, years ago. It's something I would like to have done more often.

The big windows are great for visibility. For certain I will need to tint the windows before next summer. Gets very hot here in Charleston. I like the big dash, lots of frontal protection in case someone drunk hits me in the front.

n00dle
08-21-2013, 12:02 PM
To me this is one cool tool. It's so very accurate. The neat thing to notice is when the speed limit will change from 45 to 55. The GPS system changes speed limit postings literally within feet of the new speed limit signs.

good for you and good to know it's working right for you and that you are enjoying it's usefulness.

Curious
08-21-2013, 08:45 PM
For everyone's info I think you will need to take your 500L to your studio at least one a year for a GPS update. No surprise there. I drove to Hilton Head yesterday and there was new construction going on everywhere. Roads change constantly. So this system like any other will need yearly updates, not just for new roads but also for new, current speed limits. Will it cost extra each year is the 50 million dollar question.

Andree
08-21-2013, 09:57 PM
For everyone's info I think you will need to take your 500L to your studio at least one a year for a GPS update. No surprise there. I drove to Hilton Head yesterday and there was new construction going on everywhere. Roads change constantly. So this system like any other will need yearly updates, not just for new roads but also for new, current speed limits. Will it cost extra each year is the 50 million dollar question.

Navigation page here says it's a Garmin unit:
http://www.driveuconnect.com/features/navigation/

Heading over to Garmin, there's a link on this page to in-dash units:
http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/updates

There is no update currently for a 2013 model vehicle. And it won't show Fiat as a 2012.
https://www.garmin.com/auto-update/

If you click on the Fiat logo on the above link, you'll be taken to Europe. Wheeeeee!

While we're on the subject, anyone else want to take a stab at locating map updates and costs for the in dash unit?

Curious
08-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Small update. I went to a car stereo place today. They removed the front and rear tweeter covers. Tweeters are about the size of a silver dollar, very small. No tweeters in rear door, at least not until next Saturday.

Am told that the amplifier on the Bests system can handle these 2 extra tweeters being added. If anyone has info that this is not true then please let me know.

Not certain if there's wires inside the rear doors for these 2 tweeters. Will know that next weekend when they pull the door panels to install the tweeters. If no wires there then still no problem, already checked into that.

Will try to post pictures after the install job of the front tweeter without the speaker cover and of the rear one with no tweeter there. It's built to have another tweeter there, same mounting bracket.