PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Caliper bolt torque spec?

axlemax
08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
At 12,000 miles, I am now experiencing the brake "chirp", or groan, that others have mentioned. I took the drivers side front wheel off and turned the brake rotor by hand. I can actuallly get it to groan when a certain area of the rotor touches the pads, and I can feel an increase in friction. Seems like the rotor is warped, but I have not been feeling any pulsing through the pedal when braking. I would like to take the caliper off and inspect the pads, and maybe take the rotor in to be turned. My question is: Can the caliper mount bolts be reused, or are they the one-time torque and turn type? If they can be re-used, what is the torque spec? Thanks in advance for any info.

axlemax
08-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry for the duplicate thread, not sure how that happened. Anyway, I stand corrected...... I no longer suspect that my brake rotor is warped, I now believe that I am experiencing "uneven brake pad material deposits on the rotor surface". Yes, I just read the Carroll Smith article that someone else posted here. Very interesting.

Fiat500USA
08-08-2013, 12:35 AM
The mounting bolts securing the caliper adapter bracket to the knuckle are tightened to 105 Nm (77 ft. lbs.). The caliper guide pin bolts are tightened to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.). There is no mention of the bolts needing to be replaced as long as they are not damaged. A proper application of Blue Loctitie wouldn't be a bad idea.