PDA

View Full Version : Going from a 500 Sport to an Abarth?

Bigcanoe
08-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Hey!

I have had my 500 Sport almost a year. I am getting the Abarth Itch (c) again. I am curious about those who went from a 500 to the Abarth, do you miss anything? I assume the A is louder on the highway? Worse on gas? Bigger on smiles? I have found a comfortable spot in my Sport, I assume the Abarth has similar fit and feel? Are the seats much different, with the fixed head rest? The cars are identical in size except the Abarth is a few inches longer on the hood area and lower to the ground, correct? Would you do it again, the switch?

Thanks,
BC

P.S. Any advice on pricing? Should I email my 3 dealers in state and see what they can do for me over email, to start?

duster497
08-07-2013, 02:14 PM
I drove both a sport and Abarth extensively prior to buying, with the intention of getting a sport with the comfort/convenience pkg. The sport was fun, but the Abarth was the one that put the smile on my face and made my heart happy. My seats have been great so far, including a couple of 1 hour drives. I wound up paying $4000 more for a base Abarth. I also emailed the 3 dealers in my area (and a few others further away) to start the pricing process. In the end, I got the best deal in person. If you have the itch, my ultimate advice is to go ahead and scratch it with an Abarth!!

Bigcanoe
08-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Don't tempt me!

jcunny33
08-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Bigcanoe...can I make a suggestion? If you want to keep all the things you like about your Sport but add great power test drive the 500T. Same seats and suspension. Way more power and heavy duty transmission like the Abarth. It has a great exhaust sound under acceleration but quiet on the hwy. You'll spend less money (saving about $2500) and with a RRM ECM have the power of a stock Abarth, or more.

I averaged 36 mpg in my Sport over 43,500 miles. I traded in March '13 for my 500T and am averaging 37 mpg with 15,000 miles! The torque at 150 is huge when compared to the Sport's 98.

The Abarths are wonderful though and may be the right one for you. I just wanted a softer suspension (40%) and quiter exhaust.

Bigcanoe
08-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Bigcanoe...can I make a suggestion? If you want to keep all the things you like about your Sport but add great power test drive the 500T. Same seats and suspension. Way more power and heavy duty transmission like the Abarth. It has a great exhaust sound under acceleration but quiet on the hwy. You'll spend less money (saving about $2500) and with a RRM ECM have the power of a stock Abarth, or more.

I averaged 36 mpg in my Sport over 43,500 miles. I traded in March '13 for my 500T and am averaging 37 mpg with 15,000 miles! The torque at 150 is huge when compared to the Sport's 98.

The Abarths are wonderful though and may be the right one for you. I just wanted a softer suspension (40%) and quiter exhaust.

Interesting...do you know what's shared between the 500t and the Abarth? Cosmetically, other than headlights and hood length the T resembles the sport no?

500ways
08-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Please help me understand how you are getting more MPGs with the T?

enginethatcould
08-07-2013, 04:37 PM
My thought process when buying:

500 -- not enough power to go up a hill
500T -- good power, good feel, almost same price as Abarth
Abarth -- more power, almost same price as 500T

I was able to manage no money down and super low payments.

Best advice is be willing to (seriously) walk away and say no.

Saxonite
08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I agree with the post earlier that going with a 500T would be a great compermise between the two. The exhuast on the Abarth isn't as loud as people think it is. I can still carry on a conversation on the interstate unlike my RSX. I personally found the Abarth seats to be more comfortable than the sport seats and have done severaly 3+ hour trips in the car without and issues. The car is slightly longer (144 inches vs 140) and I think a half inch lower. Even though I got my Abarth before the T was released I still would have gotten the same car. Since Fiat came back to the states I went to the dealership once a month to test drive and check out the different trims to see which I liked best. I held out to see if the Abarth would infact come here and put my deposit down within a week of it being introduced. Having said that, there's not much help I can provide when it comes to price. I got mine at MSRP but didn't even try to haggle below that because of the huge demand last spring. What friends of mine have done with other cars is call multiple dealerships and have them basically bid for business to see how much they would knock off the price to sell the car. Good luck with your decision, but IMO there isn't a bad choice here.

jcunny33
08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Please help me understand how you are getting more MPGs with the T?
I'm not sure I can explain it myself but a assure you it's accurate. I've kept records of every single tank of gas figured manually over the life of both cars. The EVIC was optimistic by about 2 mpg on my Sport but accurate on my 500T. I drive a lot of relaxed miles on country roads and get aggressive only in small spurts. Perhaps because of my style of driving I'm not using the turbo very often. On a couple of tanks when I've driven aggressively more often in the 500T I've gotten a little over 33 mpg.

I'm afraid this is about to change however with the addition 3 days ago of a RRM ECM...not sure if I can drive so slow due to the fun factor going up drastically. See about it here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?8303-ROAD-RACE-NEW-ABARTH-ECM-Ready/page20

hownowcb
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I was sorely tempted to buy a 500 Sport when they first got here, but they felt so underpowered! My car was paid for and had no problems, so I held out for the rumored Abarth, and am thrilled with mine. If I were younger and less financially secure, I'd spring for a Turbo in a heartbeat, and hope my circumstances would improve so I could trade up to an Abarth.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. Every once in a while, I remember the phrase "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast (or as fast as it can go) than it is to drive a fast car slow", but I DO NOT AGREE with that notion. It's a rationalization you tell yourself when you can only afford the slow car! Granted, I had a blast in my dad's stock 1968 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe, but I CAN AFFORD an Abarth, so why would I not indulge in the whole enchilada?

I'm retired, so I don't have to apologize for driving my Abarth for high mileage most of the time. Road trips can be done at 34+ miles per gallon IF you obey the posted speed limit. And for times when you feel like a "bad boy" (or girl), be happy you're always getting 25+ mpg ripping up the neighborhood and beyond!

500ways
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I think the answer here is that it comes down to what YOUR priorities are and what YOU value most in a car. Folks will provide the answer that's biased towards what they value and believe is "best". That's human nature and for every argument there is a counter-argument. I would suggest doing a pros vs. cons list and see where you land. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, the various trim levels are all good choices and equipped accordingly. You just have to choose the one that will make you happy every day. For some it's an open top, or hp, or a manual tranny, or an auto tranny, or a sound system, or economy, whatever.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Bigcanoe
08-08-2013, 07:23 AM
I think the answer here is that it comes down to what YOUR priorities are and what YOU value most in a car. Folks will provide the answer that's biased towards what they value and believe is "best". That's human nature and for every argument there is a counter-argument. I would suggest doing a pros vs. cons list and see where you land. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, the various trim levels are all good choices and equipped accordingly. You just have to choose the one that will make you happy every day. For some it's an open top, or hp, or a manual tranny, or an auto tranny, or a sound system, or economy, whatever.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I will admit, I want more power and more flash, thats what is drawing me to the Abarth. I am perfectly pleased with Fiat so far, no issues (knock on wood).

ABARTH TAMER
08-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I bought a Pop last year for my wife. Bought an Abarth a week ago for me. Both time found great deals from different dealers.

Go on the Internet find the exact car you want. Ask for an Internet quote. Repeat at 2 other dealers.
Their offer is a starting point. You should be able to get 2000-3200 off. Best time to deal end of month. The dealer is trying to reach volume levels to meet incentives from FIAT. Be patient, you should be able to negotiate a great deal before you set foot at the dealer. Both times, I got agreement on a price + T&L and had no problems. If your BS detector goes off tell them you are going to walk.
L