PDA

View Full Version : Stickier tires for autoX

Small&Wicked2013
08-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Really getting frustrated trying to find an AutoX tire that doesn't break the bank and size selection for the abarth sucks. Actually decided on 215 40 17 federal evo 595rsr ordered them online then got an email a couple of days later saying the were out of stock and they didn't know when or if they were getting any in. They were only $88ea. Plus shipping. :wtf::Mad:

jguerdat
08-07-2013, 08:00 AM
I hear ya but tires are such a small part of the total expense. Folks (not necessarily you) will spend a ton on things that are supposed to make the car faster without even considering how each piece works into the whole system. A set of Dunlops for $636 is big but then you get miles out of them, too, and they're more of a known entity.

Where did you order from? I see OnlineTires.com lists them at $88. Since I can't easily find much it seems like they're being phased out...

Small&Wicked2013
08-07-2013, 10:21 AM
onlinetires.com is where I ordered them from. I couldnt pass up that deal but then the bad news came...so disappointing. These stock pirellis feel like they are coated in grease when I AutoX regardless of what I do with the tire pressures and BC coilover settings. I feel like tires are the final piece of the puzzle.

shagghie
08-07-2013, 11:24 AM
onlinetires.com is where I ordered them from. I couldnt pass up that deal but then the bad news came...so disappointing. These stock pirellis feel like they are coated in grease when I AutoX regardless of what I do with the tire pressures and BC coilover settings. I feel like tires are the final piece of the puzzle.

I know the feeling, but ultimately I put my $ in a set of ZII's, and I'll never look/go back to anything else, other than maybe trying a set of Rivals if/when they have the right size. I think DeeFourTay is enjoying his Federal EVO's, however, and he's autocrossed with them I believe as well.

JackandSue
08-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm running Federal 595 RS-R Racing. They are a good autox tire as well as a daily driver. I use them as daily drivers and A6 Hoosiers for autox.

trevc
08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
I just started running BFG g-comp KDW 2 in 215/40-17 on stock 17" wheels.
Only competed in one autocross so far on a very dusty surface; I still need more seat time to get a handle on them. Vastly different from the Pirellis!!
I will say that on the highway above 40MPH they are noisy. Also, I get a very slight rub against the plastic inner fender at the front on full lock but that is minor.

Abarthman
08-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I just started running BFG g-comp KDW 2 in 215/40-17 on stock 17" wheels.
Only competed in one autocross so far on a very dusty surface; I still need more seat time to get a handle on them. Vastly different from the Pirellis!!
I will say that on the highway above 40MPH they are noisy. Also, I get a very slight rub against the plastic inner fender at the front on full lock but that is minor.

trevc-

Try the Comp 2's. An absolutely ASTONISHING tread compound... in fact, I'll tell you that it is the same compound used in another, VERY famous ultra high performance tire....made by BFG's mother company.

Oh, and for the Dunlop guys... the Dunlop IS a definite step up from the Pirelli, but the Comp 2 is even better.

Small&Wicked2013
08-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Can you be a little more specific? Sport Comp 2"s? If so the treadwear rating is 340. I don't think that would be a competitive AutoX tire.

trevc-

Try the Comp 2's. An absolutely ASTONISHING tread compound... in fact, I'll tell you that it is the same compound used in another, VERY famous ultra high performance tire....made by BFG's mother company.

Oh, and for the Dunlop guys... the Dunlop IS a definite step up from the Pirelli, but the Comp 2 is even better.

jguerdat
08-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Can you be a little more specific? Sport Comp 2"s? If so the treadwear rating is 340. I don't think that would be a competitive AutoX tire.

Agreed. All you have to do is check forums and results to see what the truly fast tires are. That doesn't mean the you can't beat the Pirellis with similarly rated tires but there's a reason certain tires come to the top.

cgpiper
08-19-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm also in the hunt for a step up from the Pirellis. I've done a total of 10 runs with the stock tires this year (my first) and considering what I put them through in hot Northern California summer weather, they're not bad. But at 13k miles they're nearing the end of their run. I've been running them at 43-45 psi and that seems to work best... any higher and I would get nervous about exceeding the 50psi rated max.

Of course I'd love a set of Rivals - but BFG tells me via email that they don't plan to make them in 205/40-17 in the near future. I really don't like the idea of going oversize even if the rubbing is slight. I imagine it would be exacerbated during heavy autocross use. What is the downside to a higher treadwear rating? I know the revamp of the SCCA classes for 2014 includes increases in these numbers, but I think only to 200 to start with.

Robert Nixon
08-19-2013, 10:45 PM
For what it's worth, I think SCCA is talking about tread wear of 140 in 2014 and then 200 in 2015.

jguerdat
08-20-2013, 09:59 AM
The 215/40-17 Dunlop ZII is fine - no rubbing whatsoever with the stock suspension/wheels, 200 treadwear rating, odest tread width increase and available for our cars. The Rival may or may not be the hot setup but it's a moot point given the lack of availability. Given the choices for a top tire, the Dunlops are the way to go.

Wiseguy
08-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Advan AD08R or Dunlop ZII.

shagghie
08-20-2013, 11:24 AM
The 215/40-17 Dunlop ZII is fine - no rubbing whatsoever with the stock suspension/wheels, 200 treadwear rating, odest tread width increase and available for our cars. The Rival may or may not be the hot setup but it's a moot point given the lack of availability. Given the choices for a top tire, the Dunlops are the way to go.

Interestingly on Sunday I talked to a very experience auto-crosser on Sunday the drives a number of cars. He took out the Yaris on Sunday, (but don't laugh, that car is dialed in and fast!),
and I caught him swapping out the Rivals for his DD wheels which are wrapped in Z2's. He won't get the Rivals again, and is going to stick with the Z2's going forward. Even on the big track, while they 'grip', they aren't nearly as responsive or accurate on turn-in, and he doesn't feel like he can get two consistent runs in a row with them. On the flipside, the Z2's are just as grippy but stay consistent during the runs, and their break-away characteristics were to his favor. I was happy to hear him say as much, as I've been pining for a set of Rivals after all the great honeymoon reviews. Just one more data point in a sea of reviews out there...but I value it as this guy is really fast, very experienced, and was driving a short wheelbase FWD on Sunday.

trevc
08-20-2013, 11:26 AM
The nice thing about the g-Force T/A KDW 2 is that it is an Ultra High Performance summer tire but still has a decent wear rating (UTQG is 300 A AA ).
It was this 'compromise' that attracted me.
I ran Autocross with the local Porsche owners club this past Saturday and embarrassed all but one of the Porsche owners :Blue:

shagghie
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
The nice thing about the g-Force T/A KDW 2 is that it is an Ultra High Performance summer tire but still has a decent wear rating (UTQG is 300 A AA ).
It was this 'compromise' that attracted me.
I ran Autocross with the local Porsche owners club this past Saturday and embarrassed all but one of the Porsche owners :Blue:

I have a standing invite to run with the local PCA group here, and I think after I get the FMIC and exhaust I want to go and do the same thing! That is pure awesome Trevc! I looked at the KDW's really hard too since this is my daily driver. If they were a 'quiet' tire they might have put me over the edge.. but then they wouldn't look as gorgeous nor grip as well, so for this round, I went with the Z2's and told myself I'm going to be fast with them around the cones, wallet be damned, tread life be damned, noise be damned. The COMP2's might be a good compromise DD/Track tire as well, but I haven't spoken with anyone running them at the autocross. At least down here, it's all about the Z2's for street tires.

abarth&911
08-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Last Sunday at the AX I ask the guy’s running the ZII if they like them and the answer was yes. Then if you ask the one running the Rival you get the same answer.
I think they are really close to each other and the only way to find out which one is the best for you and your car will be to do a back to back test. Since only the ZII is made in a size suitable for the Abarth that’s kind of closing the debate. I put a set of Rival on the Miata for the track and I must say that they work good on it. Plenty of grip, consistent and progressive. Right now the stock Pirelli on the Abarth seem to want to hold down so I will push them to the end before putting a set of ZII.

SLOWAbarth
08-21-2013, 11:46 AM
For some reason I thought they only made the Hoosier R6 in our size but if they make the A6, it will be your best tire...it is on the expensive side. Another option is the Toyo R888...

jguerdat
08-22-2013, 07:14 AM
The A6 is available in a 205/45-16 size with stock diameter so would be a good choice for those who want to use R-comps for autocross. They would give you a lower car with better gearing (~4%) and are rated for the narrower 6.5" wheels required to be used in stock class. Of course, that assumes you want to use R-comps and not street tires.

I haven't heard of anyone who actually likes the R888s when compared to other tires of the same category.

abarth&911
08-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Guess what Brown delivered on Wednesday? A set of Dunlop ZII, I wanted to take advantage of the $50 rebate that terminate tomorrow at Tire Rack. I will have them install before the next AX I can do.

jguerdat
09-03-2013, 08:53 AM
^ +1

Try 40-42 psi front and 30 or 50 (either side of the bell curve) for the rear. Don't do what I've been doing and try to overdrive them - slow down to go faster. I'm inducing too much understeer by asking the fronts to grip with minimal camber.

Robert Nixon
09-03-2013, 04:16 PM
abarth&911,

new tires sounds great, we look forward to hearing your review.

I think my stock tires will last for this year with 4 events to go, but I plan on getting some new tires like the Dunlop for next year.

abarth&911
09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Will let you know how they are. Next AX I can do if I find can find someone in the office to take my standby for that day is Sept. 28.
This coming weekend my son and me will be at VIR for a DE in the Miata.

Jeff
I will start with your suggestion for tires pressure.

Abarth67
09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Here is a set of Racing OZs I am selling with Hoosier racing slicks

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11660-Like-new-17-quot-white-OZ-Racing-wheels-with-slicks&highlight=wheels

I hope it is ok to cross post since it is directly related to the content of this post.
Thanks

abarth&911
09-30-2013, 04:06 PM
See following tread for my comment on the tire.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12043-Autocross-of-9-28

Robert Nixon
05-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Now that it's 2015 I've heard some good reports on some new Bridgestone 71Rs, anyone driven them on the Abarth?

My Dunlop Direzza ZIIs are still OK for this year unless a full day at EVO school kills them (supposed to be 24 runs in one day).

The newer Dunlop Star Spec tires have reasonable reviews too.

doverosx
05-11-2015, 09:18 PM
I have RS-3 V2s in 205/45-16 and so far I'm enjoying them as dual duty DD+motorsports tire. I haven't done an autocross event yet, my season begins on May 23; Canada sucks!

shagghie
05-12-2015, 12:18 AM
I might try avon's next....

Of these three:
zII
Sessantas
Azenis

The Sessantas were the best on ax... Totally shocked me even.

Antihistamine
05-12-2015, 02:38 AM
has anyone tried federal 595 Evos?

shagghie
05-12-2015, 02:40 AM
They are sticky/soft and squirmy squish with an extra helping of grip. They were awesome on street, dunno on track either way but I think Jack n sue ran em.

doverosx
05-12-2015, 06:41 AM
has anyone tried federal 595 Evos?

Evos are an okay tire but they aren't in the same ball park as other extreme performance tires being mentioned here already. I've only driven RSR on my friend's Mazda 3 at autocross and they are very R compound like except with better communication before breaking away.

jguerdat
05-12-2015, 08:00 AM
I'm on the ZII Star Specs this year (and likely next). I'm thinking some 16x7 wheels and RE71s would likely be the best overall if you're after every last .001. Otherwise, the usual suspects (ZII-series, RS-3, R1R, AD08-R) will all be right up there with the loose nut behind the wheel being the more dominant factor. I wouldn't even bother with the others unless you're just starting out or are just having fun rather than trying to be totally competitive.

cgpiper
05-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Now that it's 2015 I've heard some good reports on some new Bridgestone 71Rs, anyone driven them on the Abarth?

My Dunlop Direzza ZIIs are still OK for this year unless a full day at EVO school kills them (supposed to be 24 runs in one day).

The newer Dunlop Star Spec tires have reasonable reviews too.

I'm still using my ZIIs until they run out of tread this year but am also looking to switch to the 71Rs. My evil nemesis in GS runs a new set on his 2000 Celica and loves them, as does the Fiesta ST driver who was kicking butt last year but moved to HS this year. They both love them and are better AXers than me, so since I'm usually within a second of either of them I'm going to try the 71Rs on my next tire change.

Robert Nixon
05-17-2015, 10:48 PM
I talked to a Porsche guy today who had the RE 71Rs on the front of his car, he was just driving them at the first autocross this weekend, but he liked them so far.

The new Grassroots Motorsports magazine has a review of several autocross tires this month too.

doverosx
05-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Had my first autocross of the year and with my Abarth. Overall, I am liking my car more and more now. I was able to get my cone spacing dialed in to about 9/10ths by lunch time and I had some of the car's suspension quirks figured out whilst also getting pressure in the right range.

I am running 205/45-16 Hankook RS-3 V2 on a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth with no suspension mods (unless you count 5mm spacers). The stock pressures were happy 39-41PSI and the rears were brought down to 24 with minimal roll over. Of course, I forgot my temperature gauge so there might be some "bad guidance" with the old chalk-on-shoulder method. I did not find the rear to be unsettling or scary at all, it was light, nimble and I could make the rear do what I wanted with conscience steering and trail braking. That said, there was a section where I had the rear hopping left to right and if you aren't good with braking modulation, I could see it being "scary" but you wouldn't be spinning out from it.

This year was also my first year where I am running on extreme performance tires and I can assure you, there is a learning curve to actually having grip levels like I was getting. Driving the RS3s is more like imaging the amount of grip that you'd want and then assuming it'll be there, then when you are the moment you are taking away or adding more (speed or steering or braking). Hilarious grip, just hilarious and....it was a COLD day :).

cgpiper
07-02-2015, 01:31 PM
I'm still using my ZIIs until they run out of tread this year but am also looking to switch to the 71Rs. My evil nemesis in GS runs a new set on his 2000 Celica and loves them, as does the Fiesta ST driver who was kicking butt last year but moved to HS this year. They both love them and are better AXers than me, so since I'm usually within a second of either of them I'm going to try the 71Rs on my next tire change.

Update: I really wanted to try the 71Rs, but with a bit more study I realized that the only size that 'may' fit is 205/45-17. That puts them an inch higher than the 215/40-17 ZIIs I'm running now and I don't really think that raising the height of the Abarth is a good idea. So I'm now leaning to the newer ZII Star Specs. I'm consistently within a second of the class leader, but when I beat him for the first time earlier this year (on his ZIIs) he switched to the 71Rs and increased the gap a bit. Dang.

B3NN3TT
07-02-2015, 02:38 PM
The 71R's are no joke. I just installed a set for this season, and it's pretty astounding, even in the wet.

Picking up a rear tire this much, on this big girl, is a pretty crazy accomplishment:

dr.jazzenstein
07-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Update: I really wanted to try the 71Rs, but with a bit more study I realized that the only size that 'may' fit is 205/45-17. .
There are sizes we can run. A 15" wheel is only -1 from the OE 16". I'm running 205/50-15 with the Bridgestones mounted on 15" Ciao Vernazza(4x98 bolt pattern). Not a very light wheel. I'm going to switch them to a 15x7" wheel shortly so the edges aren't as rolled over. Highly recommended tire and reasonably priced(~125/tire). The wear pattern after the last event makes me think I need more negative camber though. For reference, I was ~2.4s behind the class leader(a national champion in a prepped STS civic) at the last event(bear in mind this is my first year autocross)

Gharbeson
07-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Really getting frustrated trying to find an AutoX tire that doesn't break the bank and size selection for the abarth sucks. Actually decided on 215 40 17 federal evo 595rsr ordered them online then got an email a couple of days later saying the were out of stock and they didn't know when or if they were getting any in. They were only $88ea. Plus shipping. :wtf::Mad:
If you are going to autocross or track race go for a better tire than this. Performance tires aren't a good place to go cheap.

Gharbeson
07-02-2015, 04:56 PM
I'm on the my third set of Toyo R1R and they are terrific on the track. I use them for autocrossing as well. 200 wear rating on 16". For top speed events I use 17" w Bridgestone S Drive

cgpiper
07-02-2015, 05:57 PM
There are sizes we can run. A 15" wheel is only -1 from the OE 16".

True, but I only have 17" wheels. This would work better if I had 16" wheels... oh well.

jguerdat
07-03-2015, 07:10 AM
There are sizes we can run. A 15" wheel is only -1 from the OE 16". I'm running 205/50-15 with the Bridgestones mounted on 15" Ciao Vernazza(4x98 bolt pattern). Not a very light wheel. I'm going to switch them to a 15x7" wheel shortly so the edges aren't as rolled over. Highly recommended tire and reasonably priced(~125/tire). The wear pattern after the last event makes me think I need more negative camber though. For reference, I was ~2.4s behind the class leader(a national champion in a prepped STS civic) at the last event(bear in mind this is my first year autocross)

Depends on what class you're running. A 15x7 wheel nor camber adjusters would be legal in Street. You CAN run a 16x7 which would take the 'Stones nicely while slightly lowering the car relative to the 17s.

nilfinite
07-03-2015, 12:18 PM
So the stock 16" wheels are actually 16x6.5" so you could run 15x6.5" legally in street! But not 15x7" :(

I think the holy grail wheel setup for our car in street class is 16x7" ET28 w/ 205-45-16 RE-71R or 215-45-16 Rival S. A ET28 wheel will probably be hard to find so get spacers to make that happen.

Oh while we're talking about holy grail, wheels that are 16 lbs or lighter would be awesome too. :)

dr.jazzenstein
07-03-2015, 04:31 PM
I agree, the 16x7 would be pretty ideal but I haven't been able to find any that caught my eye in a 4x98. The Ciao are 15x6.5 et35 so they work for GS. I'm in STS so going with the 15x7(@12.9 lbs each, tires=21 lbs) isn't a problem.
I'll try to weigh them to make sure, but from my understanding, this setup drops ~3.1 lbs/wheel over the OE 17 w/ pirelli(17lbs each, tires=20lbs).

Robert Nixon
08-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Here's a link to TireRack's latest extreme summer tire review: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=202

They evaluate a lot of different areas, wet and dry, so depending on what you're looking for you might prefer one over the other.

here's a part of the article:
June 19, 2015

Tires Tested

BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 88W)
•What We Liked: Very civilized on the road for an Extreme Performance Summer tire
•What We'd Improve: Brighten up steering response and add a little ultimate dry performance
•Conclusion: Good blend of track performance plus manners you can live with during everyday driving

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
•What We Liked: Impressive traction and handling makes it easy to drive fast
•What We'd Improve: Reduce road noise level
•Conclusion: The most capable Extreme Performance Summer tire to date

Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
•What We Liked: Balanced road manners and longer treadlife during hard driving
•What We'd Improve: Bump up traction a little
•Conclusion: Solid performance, but can't quite keep up with the latest tires

Kumho Ecsta V720 (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
•What We Liked: Impressive traction and stable handling
•What We'd Improve: Reduce high level of tread noise
•Conclusion: A great performer that puts Kumho back in the Extreme Performance tire game

LifeByTheMile
08-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R (Extreme Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
•What We Liked: Impressive traction and handling makes it easy to drive fast
•What We'd Improve: Reduce road noise level
•Conclusion: The most capable Extreme Performance Summer tire to date

One thing I want to add from GrassRoots test of this category on a Miata, they also found the RE71-R as the winner however it does not handle heat very well at all. Spraying is almost required for most autocross situations, and required if dual-driving, and after about 3 laps on a track its passed its thermal limits.

dr.jazzenstein
08-02-2015, 08:58 PM
One thing I want to add from GrassRoots test of this category on a Miata, they also found the RE71-R as the winner however it does not handle heat very well at all. Spraying is almost required for most autocross situations, and required if dual-driving, and after about 3 laps on a track its passed its thermal limits.

I'll second this. Phenomenal grip! Just got back from a conga line event today (instead of the normal grid) that ended with ~3 runs in 15 minutes @~90F ambient. The third run felt ever so slightly "greasy". Not terrible like the OE pirelli's, just a little less planted than the first two runs. Didn't put a pyrometer on them but they were very soft when I pulled back in to park.

And they're quite loud, like halfway to truck tires kinda loud.

I'll hopefully be running the BFG Rival S at a test & tune next weekend so will maybe be able to provide some insight.

cgpiper
08-10-2015, 07:49 PM
I bought a set of 16" wheels and some Bridgestone RE71s a few weeks ago. I was able to get within .16 seconds of the perennial class winner in his 2000 Celica, and did okay the rest of the time (but still only have the one victory from earlier in the season). I ran with 45lbs up front and I think that was too much. On the next round I'll try about 42lbs and see if that works better. I noticed a bit of hop at the higher level, so hopefully I can get the tires to grab better at the lower pressure. But I DO like them!

jguerdat
08-11-2015, 07:01 AM
16x7? That's what I plan to do for next year - RE71R and 16x7. That should be a nice setup.

B3NN3TT
08-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Apples and oranges, but I run 42 front/40 rear cold in the Cougar on the 71-R's on 17x7 wheels. Works very well for me on that big girl, so the Abarth shouldn't need that much pressure.

cgpiper
08-19-2015, 03:52 PM
I had to miss the last round of AX but the next two are coming up in a week or so. I'll try the 42 front this time and see how it works. I'm probably going to leave the rear tires at stock 32 since they didn't seem to get anywhere near the sidewalls last time at 35 or so.

Timetrapper
09-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Hi Guys. I have the 16" OEM rims on my 2015 Abarth.. I'd like to find some Extreme Performance Tires 200+ treadware rating for my OEM 16" rims for Autocross to stay in G-Street (don't think we can go below 200). (i only daily drive 5-10 minutes to work so Autocross but street legal is fine)

1. I searched tirerack.com and i see that there are only 5 tires available for the "2015 Abarth 16", but none of them Extreme Performance, is that just seasonal and there will be more choices next year?
2. I read pages and pages of stuff on this, and i see people talking about Extreme Performance tires for 16 inch rims, but they don't appear as compatible to our Abarth on the tirerack.com page. Does anyone here have Extreme Performance tires on their OEM 16" wheels but they don't show up on the Abarth compatible tirerack.com page? If so can you link me some of them? I really dont want to buy a set of them then find out they dont fit my OEM 16" wheels.
3. i dont want to do any spacing or modifications, just find some Extreme Summer Performance's that fit on the 16" OEMs without any mods to spacing.

Notes:
a. keep in mind I definitely don't want to buy new rims or 17" rims
b. I am on stock pirelli's now
c. i have read this thread and others, and see many tire recommendations thrown around but i just need a confirm which will fit on the OEM 16" rims, as I'm afraid to buy some without confirming they fit. "i.e. i read people say "i use these they are great" "i use these the are fine for autox, etc etc", but i can't tell if they have 16" OEM, 17" OEM or after market rims that fit that tire.
d. money isn't an immediate concern, i mean i see some tires go for 85$ each to $200.00 each. id rather get my options confirmed as viable then i'll focus on price later if needed on my own

Thanks guys for any help you can provide!

jguerdat
09-16-2015, 08:43 AM
You may not find an exact match for the 16" tires but here's what Tirerack has that will work fine:

Bridgestone RE71R 205/45-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR6RE71RXL&tab=Specs)

BFG Rival S 215/45-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival+S&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145WR6GFRS&tab=Specs)

Hankook RS-3 V2 205/45-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S3+%28Version+2%29&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR6Z222XL&tab=Specs)

Toyo R1R 205/45-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R1R&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR6PR1R&tab=Specs)

Personally, I'd go with the Bridgestones. Don't forget that you can upsize the wheel to a 7" width since the rules allow you to go +/- 1 inch in diameter so the 17x7 wheel gets you a 16x7, which would allow the wider tires to work better than on a 6.5" wheel. All of these tires are a bit taller than the stock 195/45-16 but shorter than the 205/40-17.

Robert Nixon
09-16-2015, 10:43 AM
The Bridgestone RE71Rs are getting rave reviews from autocrossers, they are new this year, so that looks like the "go-to" tire for now.

The 16 inch OEM tires are 190 width, so you can go up to 205 like Jguerdat says with no problem.

The reason you're not seeing these on TireRack is probably because when you search for "Abarth 16inch" their search engine only pulls up the stock OEM size. You can also search on TireRack by tire size, so look for the 205 width.

Timetrapper
09-16-2015, 12:40 PM
You may not find an exact match for the 16" tires but here's what Tirerack has that will work fine:

Bridgestone RE71R 205/45-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR6RE71RXL&tab=Specs)

BFG Rival S 215/45-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival+S&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145WR6GFRS&tab=Specs)

Hankook RS-3 V2 205/45-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S3+%28Version+2%29&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR6Z222XL&tab=Specs)

Toyo R1R 205/45-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R1R&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR6PR1R&tab=Specs)

Personally, I'd go with the Bridgestones. Don't forget that you can upsize the wheel to a 7" width since the rules allow you to go +/- 1 inch in diameter so the 17x7 wheel gets you a 16x7, which would allow the wider tires to work better than on a 6.5" wheel. All of these tires are a bit taller than the stock 195/45-16 but shorter than the 205/40-17.

Ok I ordered the 205/45R-16 Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R XL, the ones from your first link. thanks for the recommendations @jguerdat @Robert Nixon.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR6RE71RXL&tab=Specs

They will arrive Friday!!! Cost me 700$ (shipping included) plus 100$ for install, but they have a 70$ rebate. heheh. Thanks for the links! i'm happy i got them. i was riding around on stock tires like 2 seconds behind everyone heheh.

B3NN3TT
09-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Those 71R's will make a huge difference for you once you get the pressures dialed in. I'm crazy about them.

Timetrapper
09-17-2015, 12:15 AM
Those 71R's will make a huge difference for you once you get the pressures dialed in. I'm crazy about them.

you mean the PSI? at the last event i went to, one guy said do 35 front, 40 back, and i did it, but my tail was wilder. and i didnt like it. then i did 40 in front, 35 back in back, and another guy said i was wearing down my tires on the side and that it would eventually be dangerous because my tire could come off or sth. so i went back to 40 40 and posted my best time.

so is it what ever you feel is comfortable or should i use the white shoe shine trick someone mentioned to me? like you put shoe shine on the tire and then if it rubs or sth? i didn't understand it, i just knew that was a way to tell. honestly i daily drive it 40/40 so i guess when i was driving it felt normal. but is there a sure fire PSI set up? or is it just about how you feel?

jguerdat
09-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Basically, there's not enough camber on a stock car to prevent severe edge wear on the front tires. You'll always have that as you go faster. You don't need to worry about the tire unbeading using the pressures you tried but raising the fronts help with the edge wear some. I still haven't really decided on front pressures but I run between 40-45. The rears will be what you can use the most for tuning purposes - I run 30-32. The rest is managing the understeer inherent in the car - don't over-drive. The fronts can only do so much since they're accelerating, turning, braking and holding up the front while the rears are mostly keeping the exhaust tips off the ground.

Your feeling of too much rear end action with the first set of pressures is actually what you want/need to help you rotate the car since the front isn't doing it. Takes some experience to be comfortable with it but it'll be faster overall, properly done.

cgpiper
10-30-2015, 12:08 AM
I ended up at 43/35 on my Bridgestone RE-71s for the season finale 5-lap enduro last weekend. We had three 2-lap practice runs on Saturday, and I started with 45 lbs. on the front and 35 on the rear. When I finished the 3rd run, even considering the time between runs, the fronts ended up at 50. Figuring the 5-laps would really keep them hot, I decided to back the fronts down a bit in the assumption that they'd heat up by 5 degrees pretty quickly. The fronts did end up at about 48, and they felt REALLY good on the course. No squealing whatsoever, and in using the brakes to their maximum capacity, the cornering was pretty good. While I didn't win, I was only 0.7 secs down from the winner, and actually ahead of the HS Fiesta ST that's been kicking my butt all year (still comparing times because he was beating me in GS last year before the Fiesta was moved down).

The wear was noticeable on the fronts over the last part of the season but not objectionably so. Very little rollover, and pretty even across the tread. I will rotate front to back for next year and see how long I can get away with it. I'm very happy with the RE-71s, and having finally dialed in the PSI, all seems well here.

Robert Nixon
10-31-2015, 09:14 AM
congrats on beating the Fiesta! Love to hear it!

cgpiper
11-10-2015, 03:19 PM
congrats on beating the Fiesta! Love to hear it!

Even better, the Fiesta ST comes with 3 drivers: husband, wife, and son. They've all pretty much beat me in time throughout the year, but I got all 3 of them in the 5-lap endurodancingsmilies !

Me: 190.765
Fiesta husband: 191.181
Fiesta wife: 191.438
Fiesta son: 191.222

Husband and wife had cones and I didn't... but that's how the game is played!!

Robert Nixon
01-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Anyone else ready to talk about autocross for 2016 yet?
I'm planning to stay in GS, and to get the Bridgestone 71Rs before our season starts in March. Yesterday on TireRack I noticed the 205 width is about 30 bucks cheaper than the 215 width (17 inch wheels).
Our local club started an indoor Kart league on Tuesday nights, so that was fun to do last night and reminded me that I pretty much am the slowest driver in the world!

doverosx
01-27-2016, 03:25 PM
I'm planning to stay in GS, and to get the Bridgestone 71Rs before our season starts in March. Yesterday on TireRack I noticed the 205 width is about 30 bucks cheaper than the 215 width (17 inch wheels).
Our local club started an indoor Kart league on Tuesday nights, so that was fun to do last night and reminded me that I pretty much am the slowest driver in the world!

I'm always willing to talk auto cross. Only issue is that my season starts in June.

BigDaddySRT
01-27-2016, 04:55 PM
I can't wait for March... I've heard a rumor a Honda is going to run EP.

cgpiper
02-12-2016, 04:52 PM

I had pretty good luck with the 71R last year so I'll rotate front to back and do it again. I'd still like to try the Rivals, but they won't fit. I put a set of Rivals on my (new to me) Z3 but I've never AX'd a RWD car and would rather have a lot of practice on it before I do. I see a lot of spinouts with RWD that I've never done with the Abarth.

We start on April 16th here in Sacramento.

jguerdat
02-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Don't sweat spinouts - they're a hoot! I'd much rather drive RWD than FWD for autocross. One of the first autocrosses I did with my S2000 had an early sweeper that spent going sideways the whole time - not the fast way but sure was fun! You'll only need to do an event or two where you'll seriously be having issues as to which car to drive and I suspect I know which one will take the majority... :D

cgpiper
02-13-2016, 10:50 PM
Thanks for that. Well, I've driven RWD cars all my life and the Abarth is my first FWD (well, I guess my SAABs counted, but never tried to AX them). When I discovered I can go all out with the Abarth and not worry about sliding, I didn't really develop any driving skills to counteract a skid. I just wish I could find an empty parking lot where I could practice with the Z before looking stupid on a course. And I also wish I could compete in two classes at the same Round... I'd have my wife drive one of the cars up and then just enter both... assuming one was morning and one was afternoon:burnout:

Robert Nixon
02-13-2016, 11:59 PM
An SCCA region can let you drive two cars, but in return you have to work two assignments, and one of the cars would be Seat Time Only and not for competition. At least it might be worth asking, or just alternate cars at events.

cgpiper
02-18-2016, 05:16 PM
An SCCA region can let you drive two cars, but in return you have to work two assignments, and one of the cars would be Seat Time Only and not for competition. At least it might be worth asking, or just alternate cars at events.

If I can ever win the GS championship with the Abarth I might switch to the Z3. But the competition is too tight for me to ignore a single event in GS (darn it). But I might be able to swing it if one car is in the morning run and the other class is afternoon. Hmmm.

Robert Nixon
02-19-2016, 10:14 AM
If you local region does "fun runs" at the end of the day, you could ask them about running the Z3 then: I imagine it would just have to pass tech.

cgpiper
02-20-2016, 12:41 AM
That's a great idea! We do them, depending on how much time is left/participation, etc. I could wait until I have a morning run with the Abarth, then switch during lunch and wait for the end of day funruns. Can't hurt to check it out. Thanks!

JazzyMT
02-20-2016, 03:59 PM
I ran all of last AutoX season on RE11's and was pretty happy with them, but just switched to RE71R's (205 16's) for the Jan event and they are notably stickier. Here in Tucson I play in a very competitive group - several national champions - and the RE71R is on almost every car that isn't running Rcomps - it's almost comical. Clearly they are "THE" tire to AutoX right now. When I put them on fresh they were picking up gravel and rocks like an Rcomp - just insanely sticky. I expect them to wear faster too, but as long as it's not terrible - I'm pretty happy with them. I got mine from the local Firestone shop for about $700 installed.

cgpiper
02-25-2016, 10:15 AM
just switched to RE71R's (205 16's)

I have the 17" wheels on mine so I bought a set of Sparco 16" wheels along with the RE71's from Tire Rack. This last year I switched back to the stock Pirellis for normal driving and will put the Bridgestones back on just before AX starts. After a full season last year I'll rotate them front to back.. the wear is pretty obvious.

JazzyMT
02-25-2016, 10:37 PM
After a full season last year I'll rotate them front to back.. the wear is pretty obvious.
"Obvious" wear for an entire season doesn't really clarify. Are we talking 3 or 4 events? 3/32" wear? If I'm lucky any set of tires only lasts me one season (I also have 17" forged with street tires to commute and swap 16" Sparcos + event tires just for the events), but AZ races year-round. So - if I'm lucky I get about 15 events (~120 laps / ~90 miles) and I rotate every event. I used to cross rotate with RE-11's, but I'll have to do the front/back thing now with the RE71R's.

How many laps/events/miles are you talking and what kind of wear? If you're bone stock I assume you're rubbing the outside shoulder pretty hard, but what's it look like in the center?

This is what my RE11's looked like when I finally corded the outside shoulder:

cgpiper
03-05-2016, 04:23 PM
"Obvious" wear for an entire season doesn't really clarify. Are we talking 3 or 4 events? 3/32" wear? If I'm lucky any set of tires only lasts me one season (I also have 17" forged with street tires to commute and swap 16" Sparcos + event tires just for the events), but AZ races year-round. So - if I'm lucky I get about 15 events (~120 laps / ~90 miles) and I rotate every event. I used to cross rotate with RE-11's, but I'll have to do the front/back thing now with the RE71R's.

How many laps/events/miles are you talking and what kind of wear? If you're bone stock I assume you're rubbing the outside shoulder pretty hard, but what's it look like in the center?

This is what my RE11's looked like when I finally corded the outside shoulder:

Mine aren't nearly that bad, but there is more wear in the front than in the rear. I've run them for one season of about 14 rounds, including 2 5-lap enduros at the end. Since there's very little wear on the rear my plan it to switch front to rear and get at least this season out of them. I also leave them on the car during the season because I'm too lazy to swap them out for the stock wheels each time. I must not be running hard enough if yours wear out that much faster FIREdevil;)

Gharbeson
03-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Mine aren't nearly that bad, but there is more wear in the front than in the rear. I've run them for one season of about 14 rounds, including 2 5-lap enduros at the end. Since there's very little wear on the rear my plan it to switch front to rear and get at least this season out of them. I also leave them on the car during the season because I'm too lazy to swap them out for the stock wheels each time. I must not be running hard enough if yours wear out that much faster FIREdevil;)
At our track the 71R are the rage. I just changed to the 71R s from my old standby Toyo R1 s which I loved. One track day at MSR track with about 10 fast laps. The 71Rs were terrific. I wonder how many racing heat cycles they will be good for?

JazzyMT
03-07-2016, 10:47 AM
I must not be running hard enough if yours wear out that much faster FIREdevil;)
Hah! Maybe not. ;) Maybe I'm also just pushing the limits for the suspension geometry available. There's several national champs in our group and I'm always gunning to at least get closer to one of them - punishes the tires probably more than average. The RE71R's and nearly 3 degrees of camber I have now though is helping - I seem to finally be "hooking up" in sweeper turns & especially slaloms so hopefully I can eek out some more tire life from these babies.

cgpiper
03-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Hah! Maybe not. ;) Maybe I'm also just pushing the limits for the suspension geometry available. There's several national champs in our group and I'm always gunning to at least get closer to one of them - punishes the tires probably more than average. The RE71R's and nearly 3 degrees of camber I have now though is helping - I seem to finally be "hooking up" in sweeper turns & especially slaloms so hopefully I can eek out some more tire life from these babies.

Well, my cone count is always low to none, and I'm told that it means I'm not pushing it enough. My main competition is a 2000 Celica that's won the class for years. He was on R-Comps when I started in 2013 and I had the stock Pirellis. I changed to Coopers for remainder of the first year and dropped from an average of about 10 seconds behind, to about 3-4. As I improved and switched to Direzza IIs I gained more and although I never won in 2014 I was always 0.5-2.0 seconds down.

Last year I switched to the RE-71s, and he had to go to street tires when GS rules changed. I actually won a round early in the year, to my amazement, but he saw the light and also switched from Direzzas to the RE-71s and cleaned up the rest of the year. But I stayed very close in each round and lost to him by only 0.6 seconds in the 5-lap finale.

Sooooo....I'm hoping for an better year and maybe more than one win (assuming a Focus doesn't show up and ruin my plans). These RE-71s really do well for me, especially considering everything but the thicker anti-sway bar is stock.

Robert Nixon
03-12-2016, 10:52 PM
Just ordered the Bridgestone Potenza 71R from TireRack. If you're keeping score at home, the 215 width 17 inch are a bit cheaper than the 205 width 17 inch. First local autocross on March 27th, so I am really looking forward to that!

doverosx
03-13-2016, 08:10 AM
Just ordered the Bridgestone Potenza 71R from TireRack. If you're keeping score at home, the 215 width 17 inch are a bit cheaper than the 205 width 17 inch. First local autocross on March 27th, so I am really looking forward to that!

Niiiiiiiiice! I'm looking forward to going with a rain+daily, dedicated wheel setup next year!

jguerdat
03-13-2016, 08:30 AM

Both are taller than stock with the 215s being a full inch taller! Not sure the added height from either is worth it - higher CG, less acceleration. I'd stick with the ZIIs or go to 16".

Robert Nixon
03-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try these and see how it works. Most events I did last year didn't have anyone in my class anyway, so I'm pretty much driving to have fun. The ZIIs are done after two seasons of autoX, so had to try something else anyway. I have some other Dunlops on my 16 inch wheels for everyday use.

cgpiper
03-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I did what Jeff suggested and it's working fine. Bought a set of RE71s AND a set of 16" Sparco wheels from TireRack last year. I keep the stock Pirellis (not original... I got some with an extra set of 17" wheels last year) on the car during off season, and will put the RE71s back on in a couple of weeks. Sacramento's season starts on April 16th.

jguerdat
03-17-2016, 07:27 AM
Should point out that with the new wheel rules you can use 16x7 wheels since it's a -1 from the 17" wheels.

jguerdat
05-04-2016, 10:44 AM
New shootout:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/street-tire-shootout/

B3NN3TT
05-04-2016, 03:17 PM
New shootout:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/street-tire-shootout/

Not exactly "new" - that's from about a year ago.

Robert Nixon
05-04-2016, 07:35 PM
The newest GRM magazine (June 2016) compares a couple of last year's tires with the newer Goodrich Rival-S and a Maxxis Victra VR-1. They compare those to last year's Rival-S, and the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. This is just the first of two parts, with next month testing these tires on a Miata in autocross. This month they say the new Rival-S is better than last years, but on a test track the RE-71R is faster. They think the Maxxis will last longer.

jguerdat
05-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Huh. The way I read it (didn't check the date on the article, unfortunately) it seemed like Andy was making reference to these tires as a preparation for the new test. Haven't received the latest GRM yet. I wondered why the test was out for the public to see.

DOH!

Robert Nixon
05-06-2018, 03:37 PM
2018 I'm on another new set of the Bridgestone Potenza RE 71-R. Still waiting for the next best thing.