PDA

View Full Version : Abarth tire wear and sills coming off

juneau63
08-06-2013, 08:07 PM
I love my Abarth however after doing my second tire rotation at 6000 miles I noticed the tires are all cupped on the inside shoulders. Also they are now at 6/32! I've worn them effectively in half already! Also the tops of both lower sill panels have come loose from the fender where they are glued on, anyone else seen this? I have it at the dealer now but they seem very reluctant to say anything other than this is normal on the tires and actually told me they saw nothing on the sill mouldings! I've had a lot of performance cars over the years and never had tire wear like this, they are all worn evenly just cupped and having the life span of a fruit fly!! As the new kid on the niche brand block I would hope Fiat understands the value of outstanding customer service and how it is important to take care of us. I actually was looking at another car when dropping mine off to add to the family fleet. We'll see any input is appreciated. FYI no track days, no hooning about etc. mostly highway miles.

Becoming disappointed but still hopeful

BAF

Tweak
08-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I have read of the tire issues but luckily I haven't yet experienced it in my almost 10K miles with aggressive driving, hooning, and a trip to the Tail of the Dragon on them. Being the softer Pirelli they are obviously a little worn though. As for the sills, I have a slight issue as well and many have had the same, some new 3M tape resolves things nicely and you can do it yourself or return tot he dealer.

pastor passum
08-06-2013, 10:16 PM
First off, welcome to the forum. The side skirt separation is a common problem. Hopefully you'll have better luck getting them fixed correctly than I have. On the tire wear...what pressure are you running? I run 38-40 Lbs front and 36 rear. It handles great rides great and with almost 18,000 miles I have at least half the tread left and no cupping or uneven wear. Also, you'll be amazed at the increased fuel mileage with the increase in pressure. Good luck in resolving your issues and enjoy your Abarth.

Morgan Langley
07-28-2014, 04:38 PM
The skirts coming off the car is not a Fiat problem as I am having the same issue. I would suggest that you noticed them after getting your tires replaced. When the car was lifted, it was done improperly and it dimpled the floor pan of the car which causes the skirts to come off.

I'll apologize for the poor pics. I call myself a photographer but didn't look too hard at them until I got home. Upper left is good and the other two pics show the damage to the car.

BTW: I'm happy the Pirellis are gone. I have Michelin tires on my Abarth and am MUCH happier.

shadyabarth
07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. For what it's worth my front tires are almost completely worn out at 6000 miles...I have the Pirellis (17") and have never rotated them lol

SeaDawg
07-28-2014, 05:12 PM
They are most assuredly a FIAT problem and have been since their introduction in 2011 on the Sport model. That isn't to say they can't be damaged by inattentive service personnel, too.

I owned a 2012 Sport which had one that was either damaged at the factory or in transit. I traded that after 2 1/2 years and purchased a 2013 Abarth. The driver side moulding was coming loose just forward of the rear wheel when it was delivered. The moulding was completely removed and retaped. It again started coming loose at the same spot. It was again redone. Now it is starting to come loose at the back edge of the door frame I suspect because of the wind flowing along the side of the door. This is supposedly the same method of mounting these that is used in Europe. The factory seems unable to get a handle on it..

Tweak
07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
They are most assuredly a FIAT problem and have been since their introduction in 2011 on the Sport model. That isn't to say they can't be damaged by inattentive service personnel, too.

I owned a 2012 Sport which had one that was either damaged at the factory or in transit. I traded that after 2 1/2 years and purchased an Abarth. The driver side moulding was coming loose just forward of the rear wheel when it was delivered. The moulding was completely removed and retaped. It again started coming loose at the same spot. It was again redone. Now it is starting to come loose at the back edge of the door frame I suspect because of the wind flowing along the side of the door. This is supposedly the same method of mounting these that is used in Europe. The factory seems unable to get a handle on it..

100% on all of this...except it is for my 2013 Abarth.

cy-clone33
07-28-2014, 07:08 PM
DITTO to all the above, the skirts on my car were separated while it sat in the dealer lot with 62 miles on it, I was fortunate to have a fantastic dealer D&D FIAT they fixed it immediately,, and these tires are junk,, mine have a wear rating of 300 I assume they are all the same but don't know that.. the front left tire is 1/2 gone at 12,000 miles

But I would think the tires are an manufacturer issue not a FIAT

Robert Nixon
07-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Agree with all the above, plus my observation that most new cars come with cheaper tires that don't seem to last long. The cupping issue though is probably something different, maybe tire pressure or suspension, but I'm no expert in those areas.

From reading the forum here for two years, yes, there are lots of cars with the sills separating, both from the factory and from improper lift technique. Yes, there are lots of Fiats with original tires wearing with lower mileage. Not all cars have these issues, but they keep coming up.

My 2013 Abarth has not had these issues, the original Pirelli 16 inch tires are just about due for replacement at 30,000 miles, which includes several autocrosses, and rotations and maintenance as per the owners manual.

To me this is the beauty of the internet and this forum, by discussing issues, it makes it a bit easier to get a feel for if these are one-of-a-kind issues that all auto makers have, or if there is a pattern and likely a manufacturer or a parts supplier or a service tech issue going on. Man, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone say "My uncle/dad/mom/me had a Ford/Chevy/Fiat/Ferrari/BMW one that was junk" and then bad mouthed any one make the rest of their life (and it happens to all makers), well, I'd have more money than I do now!

moosestang
08-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Tires don't wear out in 6k miles, I don't care what the tread wear rating is. Unless it's a drag radial of course.

Tweak
08-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Tires don't wear out in 6k miles, I don't care what the tread wear rating is. Unless it's a drag radial of course.

But by 12K they're easily toast! ;)

moosestang
08-30-2014, 10:10 AM
But by 12K they're easily toast! ;)

I've got 20k on some yoko s. drives with a 300 tread wear rating. The car weighs 3600lbs and has over 400hp to the tires. if you wear out your tires in 12k miles on a abarth, then you have an alignment issue.

streetsurfer
08-30-2014, 10:20 AM
A set of tires' early demise can also come from not allowing them to go through a proper break-in, but instead, thrashing them right from the start.

Tweak
08-31-2014, 12:19 AM
I've got 20k on some yoko s. drives with a 300 tread wear rating. The car weighs 3600lbs and has over 400hp to the tires. if you wear out your tires in 12k miles on a abarth, then you have an alignment issue.

Many of us with an Abarth and the stock 17in Pirelli tires only saw somewhere near 12K. It was not due to alignment issues it was due to now slowing down for turns and also due to getting on the throttle too often. I constantly found my ESC light looking like a strobe light through or up to 3rd gear. Also multiple road trips to include the Tail of the Dragon helped wear them quicker. The wear on my tires has been great, very evenly worn and not completely worn out but also not a lot left and I was about to head on another road trip so around 12K I changed out for new tires. My old tires will go on a friends Sport that is only a daily driver so he'll get a little more out of them with his calm non spirited driving. ;)

moosestang
09-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Many of us with an Abarth and the stock 17in Pirelli tires only saw somewhere near 12K. It was not due to alignment issues it was due to now slowing down for turns and also due to getting on the throttle too often. I constantly found my ESC light looking like a strobe light through or up to 3rd gear. Also multiple road trips to include the Tail of the Dragon helped wear them quicker. The wear on my tires has been great, very evenly worn and not completely worn out but also not a lot left and I was about to head on another road trip so around 12K I changed out for new tires. My old tires will go on a friends Sport that is only a daily driver so he'll get a little more out of them with his calm non spirited driving. ;)

I stand by my statement. Just because your alignment is within spec, does not mean it's not an issue.

Tweak
09-01-2014, 10:03 PM
I stand by my statement. Just because your alignment is within spec, does not mean it's not an issue.

Alignment checks out, tires wear even...my issue was with killing the tires...all my use of the throttle and nothing to do with the car. I mean you can kill a brand new tire the same day if you sit there and do burnouts all day...so yeah, mine and others that drove like me managed to kill them sooner than many others. :)

Purgatory
09-02-2014, 12:42 AM
With 4,200 miles on mine currently, all 4 tires still look like brand new, appear to be wearing evenly. They are the 17" P-Zero's. And thus far, no separation issues on the side skirts. That problem seems to be hit and miss with the users in this group, doesn't seem to be limited to a particular year. Unless I am wrong, haven't heard of any 2014 owners with this as a problem. My Studio manager, said that Fiat in Mexico had made some big strides in over all quality improvements starting with some of the last built 2013's, all of the 2014's, and hopefully this will translate into the newly released 2015's.

Tire wear has so many variables, its all but impossible to compare stories. Have to compensate for how hard you are cornering, your braking techniques, what kind of weight you are carrying, outside and payment temperature, etc., etc. Most new cars, regardless of brand, seem these days to come with a lower grade tire, even though it may be the sameb brand, size, model.

In the past, I have used P-Zero's on other performance cars, and how they lasted again really varied. Some barely made it to 10k, and I have had others look good at 30k. They are soft and sticky, and constant heavy driving and spirited driving can wear down one fast. Picture putting pressure on a pencil eraser over and over again, as opposed to putting just light pressure on the same eraser.

David

gundam2000
09-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Tires are evil and are meant to be punished.

To fix the skirts use panel adhesive. it is a permanent fix.
I needed an alignment as my toe was out after lowering. That has slowed my tire wear by quite a bit.