PDA

View Full Version : Getting Windows Tinted Tomorrow

Cammilla500L
08-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm taking my 500L into the dealership and having the windows tinted tomorrow. I was not going to have the back plastic windows tinted but they showed me one today that had the plastic ones tinted too and I must say they looked great! They told me that once they are tinted the tint can not be removed on the plastic ones. The glass ones can be removed if needed.

So should I go ahead and have the plastic ones done???? Help???

And thanks in advance!

Tweak
08-05-2013, 11:53 PM
I think if you don't it would look rather odd...as long as you use a high quality tint I'd think you'll be fine.

NGEN
08-06-2013, 12:02 AM
We didn't tint the plastic and it looks great. The plastic is already darker than the rest of the windows. Either way, you should be fine.

Andree
08-06-2013, 03:32 AM
We didn't tint the plastic and it looks great. The plastic is already darker than the rest of the windows. Either way, you should be fine.

Can you, by any chance, post a photo with the windows (except for the plastic ones) tinted? Preferably before Cammilla heads in. Wait, it's after midnight here, I guess there won't be a late night photo shoot.

Andree
08-06-2013, 03:40 AM
Well, I'm taking my 500L into the dealership and having the windows tinted tomorrow. I was not going to have the back plastic windows tinted but they showed me one today that had the plastic ones tinted too and I must say they looked great! They told me that once they are tinted the tint can not be removed on the plastic ones. The glass ones can be removed if needed.

And thanks in advance!

AHhhhhh, decision!

What was the reasoning behind not being able to remove the tint on the plastic windows?

I'd want to know, because if there is some reaction between the tint adhesive and the plastic window that would make it impossible to remove and damage the plastic in the process, that WOULD be cause for concern.

Then you'd have to have the plastic windows replaced.

And, if it's permanently attached, what happens over time to the reaction of the adhesive and window visibility?

I don't know about the solid plastic being used for those windows, but I recall a convertible I had in the 70s, and the soft plastic on the rear window eventually dried out and turned an opaque goldish color.

So, if you can find out WHY the tint couldn't be removed, that may give you the answer you need to make the decision.

Fiat500USA
08-06-2013, 07:42 AM
The back side window in the Fiat 500L is polycarbonite. You are looking at the first application of this material in a volume car and is actually a big deal in the industry. It is a typical example of Fiat design innovation.

cmj912
08-06-2013, 08:58 AM
For various reasons like:
1) plastic is a poor conductor of heat, so a better thermal barrier than glass.
2) safer, as polycarbs don't shatter like glass
Maybe?

500ways
08-06-2013, 10:37 AM
The back side window in the Fiat 500L is polycarbonite. You are looking at the first application of this material in a volume car and is actually a big deal in the industry. It is a typical example of Fiat design innovation.

Innovation and forward looking. My father used to tell me that the FIAT 128 in the early 70s came equipped standard with radial tires and rear window defroster element.

The Big 3 American manufacturers back then were still outfitting most of their cars with bias ply tires and rear defrost wasn't always an option. Some of them ran a duct and put a blower on the rear deck, not even the defrost element lines. Go figure.

Cammilla500L
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks for every ones comments. I went ahead and told them to tint the plastic. Then I had the decision to do the Limo tint or a little lighter. I've had Limo tint before on another car and it was just too dark inside the car so I went with the lighter tint. Decisions decisions!!!

Will post pictures tomorrow!

Cammilla500L
08-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Just got back from picking up my car and I love the windows!
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x398/taronakitty/Cammywindowtint1.jpg (http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/taronakitty/media/Cammywindowtint1.jpg.html)

Tweak
08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Much better tinted. :cool:

Andree
08-06-2013, 11:58 PM
That's one shiny car! The back windows look like they've disappeared. Only you will know there are windows back there. LOL.

I like the way that looks!

Cammilla500L
08-07-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks guys! I do like how the tint looks! The first thing I noticed was the difference in the interior temperature! The car was sitting there waiting on me in the bright sunshine and it was so much cooler when I got in the car.

Now if I notice anything going on with the plastic windows I'll deff let you guys know. It gets 115 in the summer and 15 in the winter. Got 2 extremes going on!

Charliespeaking
08-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Let us know how it looks. I'm thinking about it too. Has anyone had any issues starting (500L) soemtimes I turn the key and "nothing" I have to panic try multiple times b/4 I get a spark. Usually after driving for a while?

Andree
08-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Let us know how it looks. I'm thinking about it too. Has anyone had any issues starting (500L) soemtimes I turn the key and "nothing" I have to panic try multiple times b/4 I get a spark. Usually after driving for a while?

I have the regular 500 and that happened the very first time I started my car at the dealership. It's not a problem, really. Check the 500L owner's manual, page 209-210:

Normal Starting
NOTE: Normal starting of either a cold or a warm engine is obtained without pumping or pressing the accelerator pedal.

Turn the ignition switch to the AVV (START) position and release it when the engine starts. If the engine fails to start within 10 seconds, turn the ignition switch to the STOP (OFF/LOCK) position, wait 10 to 15 seconds, then repeat the “Normal Starting” procedure.

Tweak
08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
I have the regular 500 and that happened the very first time I started my car at the dealership. It's not a problem, really. Check the 500L owner's manual, page 209-210:

Normal Starting
NOTE: Normal starting of either a cold or a warm engine is obtained without pumping or pressing the accelerator pedal.

Turn the ignition switch to the AVV (START) position and release it when the engine starts. If the engine fails to start within 10 seconds, turn the ignition switch to the STOP (OFF/LOCK) position, wait 10 to 15 seconds, then repeat the “Normal Starting” procedure.

To add to this slightly turning the key and stopping short of starting the car for around 2-3 seconds has helped some to not have as many (maybe no) cranking issues.

Andree
08-07-2013, 11:15 AM
To add to this slightly turning the key and stopping short of starting the car for around 2-3 seconds has helped some to not have as many (maybe no) cranking issues.

I heard you have to be wearing genuine Scottish tartan to get that solution to work. At least that's what I used to think when I did beta testing. Things worked better when I wore my plaid bathrobe. ;)

Cammilla500L
08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Its happened to me a couple of times when I first got the car but now that I figured it out I've not had a problem since!
I have a picture of my car with the tint on the last post on page 1.

Tweak
08-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I heard you have to be wearing genuine Scottish tartan to get that solution to work. At least that's what I used to think when I did beta testing. Things worked better when I wore my plaid bathrobe. ;)

Just drive around in a Scottish bathrobe. :p

stilyong1
09-28-2013, 09:45 PM
We didn't tint the plastic and it looks great. The plastic is already darker than the rest of the windows. Either way, you should be fine. I had tint people put black vinyl on mind instead of tint film vinyl on outside looks great no problems

Tweak
09-29-2013, 12:04 AM
I had tint people put black vinyl on mind instead of tint film vinyl on outside looks great no problems

Welcome to the forum.

stilyong1
09-29-2013, 03:19 PM

And thanks in advance! Have two plastic one done with black vynil on outside then if u want u can remove it anytime. Had mind done
looks good just matches black on bottom of car. ????

stilyong1
09-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks from CANADA

Curious
06-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Just got back from picking up my car and I love the windows!
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x398/taronakitty/Cammywindowtint1.jpg (http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/taronakitty/media/Cammywindowtint1.jpg.html)

Love to know how you managed to get the rear, plastic windows tinted. I had my windows tinted today and they couldn't do those 2 windows. The film needed to be trimmed due to a bevel in the interior. And they just could not trim the film for fear of scratching (or should I say etching?) the plastic windows. So I'd love to know how you managed to get yours tinted. Looks nice by the way, love the green.

ladygodiva70
06-08-2014, 09:11 AM
We have a place here that is best known for window tinting and they will not even touch the plastic windows.

nagromr1
06-08-2014, 07:53 PM
My tinter wouldn't touch back sides either so I just had windshield stripe front Windows and front 2 pillars done to match rear.Was wondering how static cling tint would work.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/nilknarfr1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0081.jpg (http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/nilknarfr1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0081.jpg.html)

opiateESP
06-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Laminex. Trace a very close pattern on the outside using a thin marker, cut it off the excess and install on the inside.