PDA

View Full Version : Hit a bird at 70 Km/h = $751 CAD in damages.

Mini Cord
08-05-2013, 02:05 PM
So, going on vacation to a cottage, a rather large bird decided to cross the road flying at bumper height. No time to react or slow down, next thing is saw was the feathers in the back view mirror, just like a cartoon....

At first glace I didn't see any damages.... until I arrived to my destination.

The bumper has a hairline crack that has duplicated in size since the day of the incident at the point of impact and the fog light is lose on its place.

Further inspection, the fog lights are held in place by two clips. one of them broke, so it needs a new grille.

Total cost of repair: $ 751 dollars to repair. Not pleased. I guess it could have been worse.

Long_John
08-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Pics or it didn't happen :smokin:

Robert Nixon
08-05-2013, 08:34 PM
well that stinks....insurance cover it?

Tweak
08-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Sorry to hear it but as you stated it could have been worse!

Saturday I hit a frog at bumper height...he was hoping across the road at the time and didn't make it...not in the Abarth though and luckily no damage that I can see anywhere.

I'm about 85% sure I hit it, didn't see it hopping after I passed so figured it must have gotten into the car somewhere.

trevc
08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
I imagine the bird wasn't pleased either. Did it have insurance?

KKaWing
08-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I remember my high school teacher from way back hit a raccoon Hwy 401 speeds... 100 to 140 kph ish. It smashed the bumper cover, crushed the radiator, ripped the hoses, dislodged the intercooler and ripped out a whole bunch of plastic bits. Wasn't pretty and the car was so close to being totaled. Can you imagine the labour costs?

Maybe it's time to make a friend with a mechanic who's shop includes a paint booth amongst other things. At least then you'll know you won't get "insurance grade" el-cheapo parts.

deathshead
08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Good news is that the whole lower Grill is only around $88 bucks.